}~>O MERBOOKS: The Group For All Things Mermaid O<~{ discussion

The MerBooks Mermaid Book Reading Challenge 2012

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by oliviasbooks (last edited Nov 10, 2011 10:26AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Garrett, how about creating a reading challenge for 2012 in the group. Mods can do that now (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...). We could challenge ourselves to read 10 merbooks next year or somthing like that ...

message 2: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
That's a cool idea!

message 3: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) That is a great idea! I've always thought about doing something like that, maybe a group read or something, and now that the group's getting larger, it seems like the perfect time! I'll get started on that right away! :)

message 4: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments What if you hold the challenge on the Merblog?

message 5: by oliviasbooks (last edited Nov 10, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments I thought it would be perfect here, because all you mark as "read" on the shelf you personally link with the challenge (via tag) gets counted. It's quite beautiful. And you see at one glance who has managed to read which books and so forth. But you could also do a parallel thing.

message 6: by Garrett (last edited Jan 22, 2012 02:10PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) So I've created the challenge. I'm still a bit sketchy on the details; for example, how you tag that you have read the book, etc. If you guys know something I don't, please feel free to tell me.
For those who need some help getting started, here's an extensive list of mermaid books out now or soon to be released:
Forgive My Fins (Fins, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs Fins Are Forever (Fins, #2) by Tera Lynn Childs Everblue (Mer Tales, #1) by Brenda Pandos Of Poseidon by Anna Banks The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Córdova Siren's Call (Dark Tides, #1) by Devyn Quinn Siren's Surrender (Dark Tides, #2) by Devyn Quinn Siren's Desire (Dark Tides, #3) by Devyn Quinn Tangled Tides (The Sea Monster Memoirs, #1) by Karen Amanda Hooper Promises (Book One of The Syrenka Series) by Amber Garr Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore Ingo (Ingo, #1) by Helen Dunmore Tide Knot (Ingo, #2) by Helen Dunmore The Deep (Ingo, #3) by Helen Dunmore The Crossing of Ingo (Ingo, #4) by Helen Dunmore Stormswept  by Helen Dunmore Tempest Rising (Tempest #1) by Tracy Deebs Tempest Unleashed (Tempest #2) by Tracy Deebs Sleeping with the Fishes (Fred the Mermaid, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson Swimming Without a Net (Fred the Mermaid, #2) by MaryJanice Davidson Fish Out of Water (Fred the Mermaid, #3) by MaryJanice Davidson Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli Fins by Ashley L. Knight Fathom by Ashley L. Knight Mermaid A Twist on the Classic Tale by Carolyn Turgeon The Forbidden Sea by Sheila A. Nielson Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown Hannah (Daughters of the Sea, #1) by Kathryn Lasky May (Daughters of the Sea, #2) by Kathryn Lasky Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3) by Kathryn Lasky Sea Change by Aimee Friedman Lost Voices by Sarah Porter Waking Storms by Sarah Porter Ripple by Mandy Hubbard Siren (Siren, #1) by Tricia Rayburn Undercurrent (Siren #2) by Tricia Rayburn Pulse (Siren #3) by Tricia Raybrun Ascension (Water, #1) by Kara Dalkey Reunion (Water, #2) by Kara Dalkey Transformation (Water, #3) by Kara Dalkey Real Mermaids Don’t Wear Toe Rings by Helene Boudreau Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath by Helene Boudreau The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler Emily Windsnap And The Monster From The Deep by Liz Kessler Emily Windsnap And The Castle In The Mist by Liz Kessler Emily Windsnap and the Siren's Secret by Liz Kessler Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama
Of course, the books listed here are not the only ones you have to choose from. These are only a few for those who don't know of many mermaid books. There's plenty of more merbooks out there I haven't listed, or possibly forgot about, so don't limit yourself to just my suggestions. :)

message 7: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 1021 comments Mod
Alright. But maybe we should just do the ones being released next year? I don't know. Both could work I suppose.

message 8: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) I thought about that. But I figured that, since some people haven't read all the mermaid books this year (myself included), if they were to read it next year, it should still count, as it is still mermaid-related.

message 9: by oliviasbooks (last edited Dec 31, 2011 01:09AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments So. This is how it is done. Better explain more in the challenge text than less and let everybody decide wether to read newer books or older ones. The freer the rules are the more people "dare" to take part, I think.

1. Step (moderator):

2. Step (moderator):

3. Step (everyone):

4. Step (everyone):

message 10: by Claire (new)

Claire | 2 comments Ooooh I want to do this!!

message 11: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) oliviasbooks wrote: "So. This is how it is done. Better explain more in the challenge text than less and let everybody decide wether to read newer books or older ones. The freer the rules are the more people "dare" to..."

Hmmm...I'm not exactly sure why, but there's not a "create challenge" option on my screen. Could it because of what type of group Merbooks is listed as (as in Books & Literature, Just for Fun, etc.)?

message 12: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

I'll try and see if it works for me.

message 13: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Aaaaaaaaaaand it's not. Wish it could work though. I'll think of something.

message 14: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 01, 2012 02:02AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments No. Should work in every kind if group. You can create a hidden one and experiment.

message 15: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 08, 2012 05:40AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments We can also ask for help at the challenge thread in the Feedback group. I'll try that.

message 16: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 08, 2012 11:03AM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Garrett, since it's a beta version, you simply need to join the Goodreads Feedback group. That will make the button be visible.

message 17: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Or Guitar Chick, certainly.

message 18: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) The Challenge is made, and I'm actually really excited about it!

message 19: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Me too. I entered and I have covered already one out of ten!!

message 20: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

oliviasbooks wrote: "Or Guitar Chick, certainly."

Oh, ok.

message 21: by Dana (new)

Dana (piyo) | 57 comments I'm excited to see that you got the challenge up and running! Now I just need to find 10 mermaid themed books to read this year, which is always a plus!

message 22: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 17, 2012 11:09PM) (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Garrett, the author (http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70...) of Monstrous Beauty by Elizabeth Fama tried to contact you today, but couldn't reach you because of your private profile. She asked, if you could add her book to the list of suggestions for the 2012 challenge.

message 23: by Garrett (last edited Jan 17, 2012 04:23PM) (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Oh, how could I have forgotten Monstrous Beauty? That's one of my most anticipated books of the year. I meant to already add it, but I must have forgotten. I just knew there was one missing! But it's added now! :)

message 24: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (garrettgoodreads) Hi, Derrolyn! Yes, your books count! Generally all of the ones we talk about in the group are, the exceptions being few and far between. :)
And thanks for the great offer! I'd love to check out your book - I need to make my Merbooks Challenge bookshelf, and I'd be happy to add yours.

message 25: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Derrolyn,
If Marina doesn't qualify, I don't what else would!!!

Howard Parsons

message 26: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson Howard wrote: "Derrolyn,
If Marina doesn't qualify, I don't what else would!!!

Howard Parsons"

Hi Howard,
Thanks for the vote of confidence - I suppose I meant that most of the action takes place above sea level! ;)

message 27: by Marsha (last edited Jan 27, 2012 08:44AM) (new)

Marsha Moore (marshaamoore) If anyone's interested in adding this to their list... Tortuga Treasure: Ciel's Legacy
Tortuga Treasure Ciel's Legacy by Marsha A. Moore

Just released today, with fast action pirate/mermaid adventure.

Happy Gasparilla Day to you all tomorrow!

Marsha
http://www.MarshaAMoore.com

message 28: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Thanks, Derrolyn, I've just e-mailed you.

message 29: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Got the coupon. Thank you, Derrolyn!!! I will definitely read this for the challenge.

message 30: by Derrolyn (new)

Derrolyn Anderson oliviasbooks wrote: "Got the coupon. Thank you, Derrolyn!!! I will definitely read this for the challenge."

Great! I look forward to hearing your opinion.

message 31: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Hi Brandi! I wish my library had more mermaid novels. I have to get them all from bookstores and such.

message 32: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments Hi Brandi! Good luck with the mer-challege :)

message 33: by Maija (new)

Maija Barnett (maija_barnett) | 10 comments Hi! I was wondering if my book qualified for the challenge. The central character is a mermaid, though she has some siren/birdlike characteristics too. If you're interested, it's now available for free through Smashwords. Thanks! Black Waters (The Songstress Trilogy #1) by Maija Barnett

message 34: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Definitely qualifies Maija :) Looking forward to a sequel.

message 35: by Maija (new)

Maija Barnett (maija_barnett) | 10 comments Thanks! I'm working on it:)

message 36: by Ami (new)

Ami Blackwelder (amirblackwelder) | 6 comments I would like to offer my book being re-released this March 1st, THE MERS. http://amiblackwelder.blogspot.com
And since i love mermaids, I will be reading a few of the above like Forgive my Fins and Everblue.

message 37: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

So I read Forgive My Fins recently! It's so adorable. I was giggling pretty much the entire time.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to offer my upcoming release, Jamie's Merman , for the challenge. It's a male-male erotic romance about a sexually confused selkie and a smart-alec bartender.
Jamie's Merman by Daisy Harris

(I've also got a few other merpeople books (Mere Temptation, Mere Passion). Those are straight erotic romances and take place in a difference mer-world.)

Ooh—sorry for all the rec's, but I LOVED Darkling Seas by Madeline Montague. Sexy and awesome mermaid book! Darkling Seas  by Madelaine Montague

message 39: by Zoraida (new)

Zoraida | 77 comments I just got Ingo! Can't believe it was pubbed in 2005 and I didn't know it!

message 40: by Howard (new)

Howard Parsons (howardparsons) | 181 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "So I read Forgive My Fins recently! It's so adorable. I was giggling pretty much the entire time."

I knew that you'd like it!

message 41: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Zoraida wrote: "I just got Ingo! Can't believe it was pubbed in 2005 and I didn't know it!"

I had to look really hard to find it. I found it in a little children's specialty shop in Washington D.C.

message 42: by Randi, Movies, Music, Merpeople (new)

Howard wrote: "Guitar Chick wrote: "So I read Forgive My Fins recently! It's so adorable. I was giggling pretty much the entire time."

I knew that you'd like it!"

Accurate, lol.

message 43: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) | 18 comments Guitar Chick wrote: "Zoraida wrote: "I just got Ingo! Can't believe it was pubbed in 2005 and I didn't know it!"

I had to look really hard to find it. I found it in a little children's specialty shop in Washington D.C."

I found my copy of Ingo at B&N in the MG area, but I had to order the rest of the series from Book Closeouts. I really want Stormswept but it won't be available in the U.S. until summer.

message 44: by Elenariel (new)

Elenariel | 2 comments Hello, I'd like to join the challenge but it's my firts time and I need some explanations.
The shelf required can be a new one or an already created one?
My mermaids books are in the "Under the Sea" shelf but it contains the already read and the ones still to read...
You can later change the number of the books you challenge yourself with?

Thank you

message 45: by oliviasbooks (new)

oliviasbooks | 261 comments Hey Elenariel, you can change your challenge anytime. And you can use an old shelf or a new one. I used on old shelf, but that means that books with merpeople as side-characters also pop up on my challenge although Garret said that they do not count. I have to "think" those away or create a new shelf eventually, because on that shelf I have traditionally everything "mer".

message 46: by Elenariel (new)

Elenariel | 2 comments Yep, my doubt was exactly that: in my Under-the-sea shelf there are also books about dolphins, and almost evry book by Sergio Bambaren that involves real sea-life... I'll think about it a little bit more, then.
Thank you! =)