Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

All About Heroines > The Imperfect Heroine

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Aren't there any imperfect (for lack of a better word) heroines out there? Aren't there any heroines out there with a drug problem, peg leg or something?! Can we get a list going?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (last edited Nov 10, 2011 10:05AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) I love imperfect characters. Some authors seem to love them too.

Catherine Anderson--I think 95% of her heroines are imperfect in some way.

Anne Stuart--her heroines usually have serious emotional issues, are plain or normal looking or plump

Can I be lazy and just link you to my less than perfect shelf?

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

The heroine in this one is a recovering prescription drug addict A Place Called Home by Jo Goodman

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The Wives of Bowie Stone by Maggie Osborne is the first to come to mind. She is an alcoholic.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I love imperfect characters. Some authors seem to love them too.

Catherine Anderson--I think 95% of her heroines are imperfect in some way.

Anne Stuart--her her..."

Yes, be lazy! I'd feel guilty otherwise. Thanks for the link :)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "The Wives of Bowie Stone by Maggie Osborne is the first to come to mind. She is an alcoholic."

Thanks Lisa Kay!

message 6: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 2 comments Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I love imperfect characters. Some authors seem to love them too.

Anne Stuart--her her heroines usually have serious emotional issues, are plain or normal looking or plump ..."

I just had to laugh in agreement when I read this, as the Anne Stuart book I just finished, On Thin Ice,, the heroine has *gasp* a B-cup and doesn't care about shaving her legs! I thought that was awesome as so often, the heroines are these perfectly (impossibly?) proportioned young women whose sweat even smells sweet.

message 7: by Gisela, Moderator (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments The All About Romance has some interesting lists you could check:

Less Than Perfect

Curvy

Beauty is in the Eye

Addiction

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Xe wrote: "Anne Stuart--her her heroines usually have serious emotional issues, are ..."

Oh, Xe, I need to get back to that series, LOL!

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks for the additions, Gisela!

message 10: by Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (last edited Sep 05, 2015 08:47AM) (new)

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) Try Scandalous by Karen Robards. The heroine is unusual in the fact that she has a pronounced limp from a childhood accident.