Creative Reviews discussion

Fiction > Nine Dragons By Michael Connelly

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (bookaphile) | 34 comments I've read all the Harry Bosch books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I like the hero , flaws and all, and the stories are tightly plotted with well thought out twists and turns that make them a pleasure to read. Sadly, this is not the case for this book.
For a start I detest books that make the detective the victim of the crime. There are seven billion people in the world, why the hell would any criminal pick on a member of law enforcement. Most criminals may be stupid, agreed, but surely even the most cerebrally challenged baddie would think twice before kidnapping the daughter of someone who has all the resources of a big city detective available to him.
Although Bosch seems to have lost a few brain cells himself since his last outing. Flashing a huge wad of money in front of someone in a seedy hotel?? this particularly stupid behaviour leads directly to the death of his ex wife. What does he do?, how does he react to this?
Well, Harry just moves onward like a driver-less bulldozer. Killing and maiming people without regard to the law.He also discovers an incidental crime(a triple murder)and just walks away from it. Yes, I know his daughter is in danger , but his actions are those of a criminal himself. And when he has his daughter back,(and this took an incredibly short time, considering he is halfway around the world in a totally foreign environment.) he just headed back home leaving his crimes behind him, with no regard for the law at all. Hardly something one would expect from an experienced detective.
Later when he and his superior are called to account for his actions in Hong Kong, they merely bully the Chinese detectives into dropping their case against him with threats of blackmail. Again, whose side is he supposed to be on exactly?
Speaking of which, there is more than a little xenophobia in this book, Americans good, foreigners bad !!
All in all I must agree with other reviewers who feel that this is a hurriedly written and imperfectly edited book that adds nothing to the Michael Connolly opus, and that if this had been the first Harry Bosch book I had read I certainly would not be reading any others.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lane (jenniferlane) | 51 comments Great review. Too bad this one didn't work for you. I liked The Poet but haven't read many Michael Connelly novels.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 726 comments This sounds like one of those books were u get totally into it but then you find out a tiwst that the person u least suspected did it..I hate stuff like that too.