Haruki Murakami's "1Q84" discussion

Aomame and Lisbeth

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristin (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:05AM) (new)

Kristin Myrtle  (cosmicamericangirl) | 2 comments As I read this I found I kept comparing Aomame to Lisbeth Salander from Steig Larsson's Millenium Triology. Her solitary life, her lesbian dalliances, even her muscular physique. Also her job as an assassin, how she only targets repeat and violent male spousal abusers. Lisbeth wasn't a killer, but I feel they share a similar passion. One thing about this book that irked me was how the stuff about violence against women just kinda peetered out. But then again I would have been even more irked if he Murakami had gotten all preachy on me. Any thoughts?

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments Yes I agree about Lisbeth, I think thats why we love Aomame so much is because we think we already know her. She feels so comfortable with us as a close friend from another place. And I too am glad he didnt get preachy about the violence against women because it would become a book with a morality agenda. When I read a fiction book I dont want to be preached at I just want the story the facts and I can make up my mind on how I want to react to the evidence presented to me.

message 3: by Ian (new)

Ian "Marvin" Graye | 191 comments Mod
Any tattoos in the book?

Also, do you think the book has movie potential?

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments I think it would make a good movie. I'm not sure aboutthe ending. I heard he was working on book four? ? You hears anything?

message 6: by Sue (last edited Nov 11, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments So there is whispers of either a book 0 or a book 4 LOL

I also picture Aomame as Asian but I never had a concrete picture of Lisbeth until the movie came out except that she was kinda rough around the edges where Aomame is a softer more feminine character. But they do have many similarities as the loveable ass kicking hero righting writing wrongs with special talents :)

True True about symolism , but those who dont read the books will be lost if a movie does appear. I think they might be able to have fun with it ?

message 7: by Ian (new)

I think Aomame was described as hard compared with her 17 year old friend, but he might have been referring to her musculature.

message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments Yes she is in very good shape and not exact quoting but when she stretches other trainers at the gym they wince and cry out in pain, these stetches she can do no problem. On the outside I think she has a well sculpted body but on the inside she is a soft hearted loving person who is just misunderstood. Which in relation to Lisbeth again very hard exterior and I beleive very much abused and misunderstood on the inside. These two women have so much in common really.

message 9: by Kristin (new)

Kristin Myrtle  (cosmicamericangirl) | 2 comments I'm so glad I'm not the only one who noticed the similarities. I can't recall any tattoos in the novel. As for a movie, I wonder if Murakami's work would translate well on screen. I guess we'll soon see, Norweigan Wood will be out soon and it's supposed to be good. Can't help but think of the travesty that is Even Cowgirls Get the Blues. The movie, not the book. I don't think a movie could fit the whole depth an scope of the story. maybe a mini-series.

message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments I have not read Norweigian Wood but I will have a go at it next. I have heard the movie will be out soon. So I better get the book read quick I cant stand to watch a movie before I read the book.

message 11: by Ian (new)

The film was released in Australia about a month ago. I saw it, but won't comment until you see it, except to say that it's definitely worth seeing.

message 12: by Sue (new)

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments Read or watch first? I have a thing about reading first or in this film does it matter?

I want to watch first LOL