Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Eloisa James
This topic is about Eloisa James
Historical Romance > Desperate Duchess series (Spoilers!!)

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm planning on starting the Desperate Duchess series. Does Desperate Duchesses (Desperate Duchesses, #1) by Eloisa James have a Christmas theme going on throughout the novel?

message 2: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I have most of those downloaded and haven't started them. When are you starting them?

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I have most of those downloaded and haven't started them. When are you starting them?"

I don't have a set date in mind yet. I just know that I enjoy reading along with somebody. Are you thinking of any particular time to start? We're both book addicts, so you just let me know what works best for you, LOL!

message 4: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (last edited Nov 13, 2011 06:36PM) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Do you want to see if we can fit in the 1st one before we do An Affair Before Christmas so we can read them in order? and then go from there?

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Do you want to see if we can fit in the 1st one before we do An Affair Before Christmas so we can read them in order? and then go from there?"

I'm thinking that just might be possible if we read both Texas Destiny and A Kiss at Midnight simultaneously. What do you think?

message 6: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments That's fine. I can read one in the morning and the other at night ROFLOL So, start them both tomorrow? And isn't the 1st Desperate Duchesses and not A Kiss at Midnight?

message 7: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments That's what I thought, too, Susan.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "That's fine. I can read one in the morning and the other at night ROFLOL So, start them both tomorrow? And isn't the 1st Desperate Duchesses and not A Kiss at Midnight?"

Oh!!!! Man, I dug the wrong book out, but no worries, I have the right book two. I'm all hopped up on red bull, so once midnight hits, I'm starting on of our books. I think it's ok not to do another officiak buddy read though. What do you think?

message 9: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I think that would be fine. I'm sure that anyone who wanted to join in and read it could find us here talking about it. Want to do a set number of chapters a day or just read and chat about it?

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I think that would be fine. I'm sure that anyone who wanted to join in and read it could find us here talking about it. Want to do a set number of chapters a day or just read and chat about it?"

I'm not near my copy right now. Do you know how many chapters there are by any chance?

message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I think that would be fine. I'm sure that anyone who wanted to join in and read it could find us here talking about it. Want to do a set number of chapters a day or just read and chat about it?"

Oh, but whatever you think is best. I'd just like to have it done in time for the 19th.

message 12: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I've got an ebook copy of it and it looks like 40. That can't be right. Is it?

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Maybe. With small chapters.

message 14: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I say we just read and see how far we get each day and post thoughts about it since it's not an official buddy read.

message 15: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Lisa Kay, it would have to be small chapters to be that many LOL

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I say we just read and see how far we get each day and post thoughts about it since it's not an official buddy read."

Sounds like a plan to me. I'm going to go and put all of my buddy reads on my calendar. It's the highlight of my night, LOL!

message 17: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments LOL I put all my buddy reads on my calendar at my desk this afternoon...right next to that multi-paper stack of pages that holds my challenges lists ROFLOL

message 18: by Michelle (last edited Nov 13, 2011 07:09PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only one that's all excited!!

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Not at all! I couldn't wait for Hubs to leave this evening so I could sit down at the computer and send the books to my phone so I'd have them in my classroom this week for during naptime :)

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm going start this right now... heehee

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Not at all! I couldn't wait for Hubs to leave this evening so I could sit down at the computer and send the books to my phone so I'd have them in my classroom this week for during naptime :)"

LOL!!!!! I was printing out blank calendars at work from my email. One for my reading, one for work..... I wish I could be ashamed, but I'm just not. I'm going to go grab my copy of Desperate Duchess right now.

message 22: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm just starting chapter 3 and I've got tears from laughing so hard.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "I'm just starting chapter 3 and I've got tears from laughing so hard."

I am so glad to hear you say that. I had to run out for a while, but I'm starting it right now.

message 24: by Michelle (last edited Nov 14, 2011 12:03PM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ok. I'm only 10 pages in, and I'm rooting Roberta. The underdog hero/ heroine is a favorite of mine.

message 25: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm starting ch 11 and I feel Roberta is being overshadowed by Jemma. Is like to see more of roberta. But I love Jemma.

I also have to giggle every time I read Jemma's name cause I have daughter named Jenna and my granddaughter calls her Jemma :)

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm confused about the timeline. In the prelude, its 1780, and Roberta leaves home. But at the beginning of chapter one, when she goes to Jemma, its 1783. Am I missing something? Or will this be answered as I read further? I'm only up to chapter 3.

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments No, it isn't answered. I was confused too. One of them has to be wrong.

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "No, it isn't answered. I was confused too. One of them has to be wrong."

Well that makes me feel better. I kept wondering where Roberta had been, and what she'd been up to for the three years before meeting up with Jemma, who took her into her home without any fuss. I'm hoping the offer is genuine. And what's up with Jemma and Elijah?!

message 29: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Jemma and Elijiah have a huge problem. And honestly, I'm anxious to get to their story lol I'm falling for Damon though. Oh my, he's swoon worthy without trying too hard :)

message 30: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I LOVED these books. Villiers is my favorite, but Jemma and Elijah's story was awesome too! Hope you guys love 'em half as much as I did lol :)

message 31: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I love the kink Villiers just threw in the mix when he met Roberta's father :) but I'm pulling for Damon lol

message 32: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Am I missing an important piece of history? Was chess really all that popular and passionate and was it really a euphemism for sex? Or am I reading something into all the chess talk that isn't there?

message 33: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm getting back to this one right now, how far did you make it Susan?

message 34: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Am I missing an important piece of history? Was chess really all that popular and passionate and was it really a euphemism for sex? Or am I reading something into all the chess talk that isn't there?"

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

message 35: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm so torn...I don't know if I want to go back to this one or keep reading the other one! They're both really good LOL I'm on ch 21 of this. Where are you?

message 36: by Michelle (last edited Nov 16, 2011 03:35AM) (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I only made it chap 11 last night, and woke up with the book on my face. I know what you mean. I think I'll focus on finishing Texas Destiny tonight, so I can give this one my full attention and finish in time for An Affair before Christmas.

message 37: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Yeah, I realized last night that had I just read one book, I'd be finished with one of them LOL I'm gonna finish up Texas Destiny today and I'll get back to this one tomorrow...and that will give you a chance to catch up with me on this one :)

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Yeah, I realized last night that had I just read one book, I'd be finished with one of them LOL I'm gonna finish up Texas Destiny today and I'll get back to this one tomorrow...and that will give y..."

Thanks! I'm for the next 2 days, and will work on finishing Texas Destiny tonight, and hopefully Desperate Duchesses sometime tomorrow night or Friday morning.

message 39: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I just finished Texas Destiny!!! Amazing! I'll go back to this tonight after church :)

message 40: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Where are you on this? I'm on ch 31 and can I just say I HATE Villiers. I want for Jemma to win the stinking chess match and give him his come uppance in retaliation for what he did to Harriet and how he's treating Roberta.

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments HOLY COW! Roberta and Damon. Damon and Roberta. That was some of the hottest loving I've read in a LOOONNGGG time. I need a cold shower.

message 42: by Lina (new)

Lina | 5563 comments And with that said, I pick up the book....

message 43: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments :D Enjoy!

message 44: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I just finished it! Michelle, THANK YOU! Thank you for wanting to read this now. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I haven't laughed out loud reading a book like I did for this one since reading The Hathaway series by Lisa Kleypas.

message 45: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Drat! My library has this in audiobook... I could have joined in.

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Ugh! I had to take Bendadryl today, so I'm behind again. But I'm wide awake now, and getting into it. I have to see what the exclamation points are all about, LOL!!!!!

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I stayed off of GR so I could finish reading this one. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get home from work tonight......

message 48: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm looking forward to seeing what you think about it. I've refrained from saying anything cause I knew you weren't finished :) I'm anxious to get my grocery shopping done this morning so I can start the next one LOL

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "Ugh! I had to take Bendadryl today, so I'm behind again. But I'm wide awake now, and getting into it. I have to see what the exclamation points are all about, LOL!!!!!"

Why you taking Bendadryl? You have allergies, or just want some sleep?