Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

An Affair Before Christmas (Desperate Duchesses, #2)
This topic is about An Affair Before Christmas
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > An Affair Before Christmas, by Eloisa James (Nov 19th, 2011)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm developing a buddy read addiction. Any takers?

[image error]

GR synopsis:

Magic under the mistletoe . . .

One spectacular Christmas, Lady Perdita Selby, known to her friends and family as Poppy, met the man she thought she would love forever. The devilishly attractive Duke of Fletcher was the perfect match for the innocent, breathtakingly beautiful young Englishwoman, and theirs was the most romantic wedding she had ever seen. Four years later, Poppy and the duke have become the toast of the ton . . . but behind closed doors the spark of their love affair has burned out.

Unwilling to lose the woman he still lusts after, the duke is determined to win back his beguiling bride's delectable affections . . . and surpass the heady days of first love with a truly sinful seduction.

*This is book 2 in Eloisa James' Desperate Duchess series.

message 2: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I figure this one would be a good one to read closer to the Christmas.

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I'll read it with you. Let me know when you want to start it.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, my library has this one... I think I'm in. If I can get it and if I can work it around my other "buddy reads."

message 5: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments That's great ladies!

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Oh, my library has this one... I think I'm in. If I can get it and if I can work it around my other "buddy reads.""

I know we have a lot of buddy reads coming up. What date works best for everyone? I have a copy of this, so I'm ready whenever everyone else is.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I can get it now, as nobody has it checked out... which makes it available to me for 21 days. Or, I can take the risk and see if I can get it latter.

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I don't have a copy as of yet, but i can try to find it online...anytime is good for me.

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I can get it now, as nobody has it checked out... which makes it available to me for 21 days. Or, I can take the risk and see if I can get it latter."

Hmmm..... You're doing the Ransom buddy read right now too right? I'm thinking that we could definitely get to it after Ransom, but within the next 21 days if that's ok with Anna.

message 10: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments That's fine with me.

message 11: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:43PM) (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments ✿Michelle✿, you mean before Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath on the 14th?

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "✿Michelle✿, you mean before Texas Destiny (Texas Trilogy, #1) by Lorraine Heath on the 14th?"

Oh no! I was sort of thinking after that. Would that still work?

message 13: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments What about Nov 19th?

message 14: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments How many days will it take you to read it, ✿M✿?

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Pamela and I are zipping through Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2) by Julie Garwood - well, Pamela already zipped...

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lol I just read it a couple weeks ago, but it's good, I'll lurk and read y'alls comments :)

message 17: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Goodness, I'd love to be in on this one too, but with the ones we already have lined up, plus the group series read starting in December, I don't know if I'll get to it. Would be great if we could have a buddy-read calendar set up.

message 18: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Hmmm...... I'm not sure about how many days, depends on how many people want to participate I guess.

message 19: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Goodness, I'd love to be in on this one too, but with the ones we already have lined up, plus the group series read starting in December, I don't know if I'll get to it. Would be great if we could ..."

A calendar would help. I'm getting addicted to the buddy reads, but I can calm it down for a while.

message 20: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Well, thank goodness I'm not the only one who is hooked on buddy reads LOL

I looked at this book last night (more like 2 this morning) and added it to my TBR list, so we must be thinking alike, ✿Michelle✿. I'll join in on this one, for sure :)

message 21: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Well, thank goodness I'm not the only one who is hooked on buddy reads LOL

I looked at this book last night (more like 2 this morning) and added it to my TBR list, so we must be thinking alike, ✿M..."

Oh that's great!! I don't want to overwhelm the group with my buddy read idea's. I guess I'll hold off on posting a request for The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel , LOL!!

message 22: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments CaroB wrote: "Goodness, I'd love to be in on this one too, but with the ones we already have lined up, plus the group series read starting in December, I don't know if I'll get to it. Would be great if we could ..."

CaroB, I could adapt mine... and post it in the top "buddy read" comment. The one that says "a place for "buddy reads." Do you want me to just post the ones that take place in RLftCI, or links to elsewhere also?

message 23: by Michelle (last edited Nov 10, 2011 07:19PM) (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I believe I suggested Nov 19th earlier, but how about Nov 21st? Does that cause too much confusion with the Catherine Anderson BR?

message 24: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Doh! I just realized Annie's Song isn't until December.

message 25: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments LOL! Check the calendar! I made it just for you, ✿M✿!

message 26: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "LOL! Check the calendar! I made it just for you, ✿M✿!"

Thanks Lisa Kay! It looks like there's a BR almost every week. And since I'm becoming a BR addict, that's right up my alley!

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yeah, ✿M✿, you need a TBBR pile (To Be Buddy Read). ☺

message 28: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I know it. I've been debating reorganizing all of my shelves for 2012. I could combine some, and completely get rid of others.

message 29: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new) - added it

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Nice to see a Christmas book as a Buddy Read. Wish I could join, but it is my busy season. I'll have to stop by and say hello after you get started.

message 30: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments Michelle, Can I clarify - Is this starting on the 19th Nov?

message 31: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments CaroB wrote: "Michelle, Can I clarify - Is this starting on the 19th Nov?"

I'm sorry. I've gotten everyone confused now, including myself. I'm ok with the 19th, as long as that works for everyone else. I'm caught up in my classes, and want to read my a$$ off before they start up again, so I probably jumped the gun. My apologies......

message 32: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments no prob with the 19th, just wanted to double check

message 33: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments i'm having trouble finding the book.

message 34: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments Thank you Susan...it's awadlow42@hotmail.com

message 35: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'll post the chapter breakdown when I get home from work tonight. Sorry for the delay!!

message 36: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina | 5563 comments I'm going to have to pull out. The excrement has hit the whirling cooling device here, counting down til the in-laws go home, I want my life back. sorry ladies, enjoy the read!

message 37: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm sorry things have gone to hell in a hand basket there. My life seems to be going in the same direction at the moment. We'll be here when things get back to normal.

message 38: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments My apologies to the group. I'll have to post the breakdown tomorrow. Work ran later than usual in preparation for the skeleton crew during the holiday week.

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments It is okay; I haven't started to read yet. I'm off to the opera tonight. Talk to you ladies tomorrow.

message 40: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Don't worry about it Michelle. I didn't start it today. My oldest daughter and granddaughter spent the day and we baked for thanksgiving and I barely read anything today.

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "It is okay; I haven't started to read yet. I'm off to the opera tonight. Talk to you ladies tomorrow."

Saw you went to the opera, and saw this on stumbleupon.com, and thought of you: http://twistedsifter.com/2011/08/outd... Way cool. The only operas I've seen were on PBS, but they weren't bad :)

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments WOW! Kit★! Those location pictures are amazing. Thanks for that. I'm going to forward that link to my ex. I've seen almost all of those operas. However, the one I saw last night was the worst opera ever! Actually, it was a two for one: La Voix Humaine & Paglaicci.

The first one was the one that was awful. I don't ever think I've seen an awful opera. The singing was good and so was the music... but it was boring! It is considered a "modern" opera. It was about an obnoxious, suicidal woman talking on the phone to her lover who is going to marry another woman. She was totally on her pity pot all through it. It was terrible, b/c I was thinking "jump already" and I don't like it when something triggers me to think something like that. I felt sorry for the one woman performer; she tried and was obviously talented... but what can you do with horrible, boring writing?

message 43: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments sooo, am I the only who's started this? ROFLOL and yep, I'm waaaay ahead on it - starting chapter 16. Fletch is an ass, Poppy needs to get rid of her mother, and Jemma hasn't stolen the show...yet ;) Thank heavens I read the first book to this last week. It's like an on-going soap opera with a multitude of characters LOL

message 44: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I have made it to chapter 5.

message 45: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Are you enjoying it, Anna? I am; though I don't think it's as humorous as the 1st one was.

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm only in the first chapter... it hasn't grabbed me yet. Poppy is too childish.

message 47: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments She hasn't improved much IMO

message 48: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm listening to the audio and the narrator is making her sound really stuck-up and childish. Which, I guess, she is.

message 49: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 226 comments I am having a little trouble with it...it's just not quite grabbing me and yelling 'read me'...hope it gets better for me, but I will stay with it.

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - added it

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'll give it a few more chapters...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.