Bodice Ripper Readers Anonymous discussion

Whitney, My Love (Westmoreland, #2)
This topic is about Whitney, My Love
Discussions and Questions > Books That Have been "Bashed"

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan (bloggn4books) I'm only on page 137. But Well... hummm. I hate to "stir the pot", This book was COMPLETELY BASHED by Heros and Heartbreakers-First, I am NOT an English major, truly I made a C in English and Literature. I'm not an aspiring Fantasy romance novelist, BUT I am over 40, I grew up in the 80's(not as a toddler or tween), and I probably have more life experience than most. With that- So Far this book is FU#$ING GREAT!!! Honey, that is why they call them BODICE RIPPERS. So far Ms. AJ- Whitney does need her ass whipped! And truly, I can't think of any of my friends that would want a guy who let a her walk all over him. So Far Clayton's "Bad Ass" (a term from the 80's). I may change my opinion later in the book, so I'll keep updating for those of you who care. And for those of you who don't just skip my review so far.

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments Hi Susan, loved your comment! I'm not an english major either, just a historical romance lover, over 40 (but not much!), grew up in the 80s (teens and 20s) and thought this book was F**KING GREAT also!

Frankly, I didn't see what the big fuss was about the spanking - she deserved it. ;D

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I loved it when I first read it back in the 80s and I still like it but perhaps not quite as much. I've read some of those reviews that bash it and I do feel it got an undeserved bad rap. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion even if its wrong (lol).

Karla | 1668 comments Mod
One those rare occasions when I dislike a book that has been bashed by quite a few others, it's usually for totally different reasons. I got tired of this one not for all the reasons that have gotten so many others irked (spanking, etc.) but because the Big Misunderstanding really went on far too long in the last half. Gah.

Susan (bloggn4books) I'm on Page 321. I will totally agree with you on the "Big Misunderstanding" goin on to long! Since I've only been reading Historical Romances for about 7+ years I've just learned over time that most ALL the romances go that way. Sometimes it really annoys me and sometimes I can over look it. I think it really depends on the book I'm reading and over all how I'm feeling with it. :0) But, I do agree that drawn out misunderstandings can be a pain!!

The worst "Big Mis"es that I've ever read have been Whitney My Love and Bitterleaf. Everything else (so far) has been at least tolerable because of other factors off-setting the ANNOYING AS F*CK-NESS of the Big Mis.

Susan (bloggn4books) Tammy wrote: "Hi Susan, loved your comment! I'm not an english major either, just a historical romance lover, over 40 (but not much!), grew up in the 80s (teens and 20s) and thought this book was F**KING GREAT ..."

Thanks Tammy! Maybe I'm more "open" in my thinking of what writers write (it isn't "REAL") and I KNOW I'm pretty open when it comes to thinking/speaking/writing about Historical (sexual) Romance FICTION. LOL- I also learned at a young age how to "play" the romance game with boys/gentlemen/men. *hee hee*. I could teach Whitney a few things.

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Well, I haven't read the book. But

I can't stop myself from spouting my 2 cents on the BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS authors use.

I have reached my quota. I don't care how good someone says a book is, if I find that author uses the Big M...it's a done deal for me.

NO MORE

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments That pretty much narrows down my TBR shelf I guess :/

Carolyn F. | 54 comments I read it and enjoyed it - I hate to bash books across the board. I'll dislike for something that I don't like but to do that in Heros and Heartbreakers is pushing it.

Yeah, I think Whitney is a historical romance with a small bodice ripper element in it than being a straight-up BR.

I know I'm coming from the BR lover end of the romance spectrum (like that's a surprise!) but the blog post at Heroes & Heartbreaks made me think of that quote from The Simpsons: "Good lord, the rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt." :P

message 12: by Karla (last edited Nov 11, 2011 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I feel that if someone thinks that reading a bodice ripper means that you condone rape and anything else that goes on in it, well....that says more about where their mind is than mine. :P It's like those people who think there can't be anything funny as long as there's suffering in the world. So extreme and...humorless. And by saying that, I guess it means I think rape is funny. *rolls eyes*

What annoys me is when they FIXATE on the sexual aspect and dismiss everything else. That's not my main focus when I read a book. And I certainly don't read romances for pseudo-academic ponderings on gender issues, so when I see posts like that, my initial reaction is, "Lighten the hell up."

But the positive side is that it's fun to see people get frothy about them. ;) I'm sure I've provided a lulz or two for wallpaper fans who snicker at my frothings about the Regency stuff.

ETA: I've moved this thread to the "Discussions & Questions" folder.

Sharon wrote: "That pretty much narrows down my TBR shelf I guess :/"

I could say the same about the spinster trope and my TBR. :P Yet for some sadomasochistic reason I keep picking up books with that stupid trope. Mainly to snark to myself about it. LOL

Susan (bloggn4books) Ok, Cheshire Catt!!! YOU are a WOMAN!!! I don't know you, but girl, I like you! You tell it like it is and (as my son would say... THAT'S HOW I ROLL.) *smiles*. I, too, like all my romances "meatier". I can't say I get offened easily either, except by uptight book bashers. If I don't like something usually I just say why and move on. It really upsets me when Authors write the "good stuff" and then after several *humm* bad reviews rewrite or even change their writing styles. I wish everyone felt like me and said screw it if you don't like my shit, don't buy it!!! ;) Maybe we all should start our our website calling it "SMARTER BITCHES, TELLING IT LIKE IT IS ON ALL HEROS AND HEARTBREAKERS" *lmao*
Now I'm off to check out the books YOU have read, sounds like we might like a lot of the same things.

Susan (bloggn4books) Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) wrote: "I feel that if someone thinks that reading a bodice ripper means that you condone rape and anything else that goes on in it, well....that says more about where their mind is than mine. :P It's like..."

Karla- You TOO are my kind of girl!

message 16: by Susan (last edited Nov 11, 2011 07:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (bloggn4books) Well fellow readers, I have finished Whitney! I was thinking, towards the end, that I would leave my 5 star rating because I was really enjoying the book (going easy on the 27 million MISUNDERSTANDINGS *smile*) then when I'm a few pages from the end Clayton finds the stupid letter! Freakin A', I guess I'm a slow learner, I finally got it girls- That did it. I felt like, didn't they learn about opening up and talking? But NOOOOOOOO. So, I am going to change my rating to 4 stars. I could possibly go lower, but I did like the book and I love love love a romance with a bad ass hero and a good chase! Now I'm going to find Storm Fire and Savage Surrender.

That's it, the letter! See, I couldn't even remember the particulars of the Big Mis because it kept going on and on and so it became a big amorphous lump of ARRRGHNONONOSTUPIDDUMBMORON!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments Well, after much consideration I realized I'll have to revise my NO MORE BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS reads. If I don't, I'll have to revoke my membership in the BR's Anonymous Group. Those BM's are the staples in almost every stinking story.

So, since I can't get away from em and I Can't stay away from the Group, I'm damned.

I'll make a note of "lack of Big Mis" when I read something and pass it along to you. :D

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharjonm) | 193 comments You are a good friend Karla.

I don't expect to see a flood of books or recs coming my way though. I'll check that shelf of yours anyway.

Such is the nature of what the authors LUV'd to use to make a 200 page story into a 500+ page chunkster... writing for the page count.

message 21: by Zumbagirl (new)

Zumbagirl | 4 comments Susan wrote: "Well fellow readers, I have finished Whitney! I was thinking, towards the end, that I would leave my 5 star rating because I was really enjoying the book (going easy on the 27 million MISUNDERSTAN..."

Susan, I have always loved McNaught, but W, ML and Once and Always drove me crazy. They are the kind of books that made me laugh, cry, happy, angry - just about everything. But I always go back to them for some reason!!! Maybe you'll like some of the other books more

Tammy Walton Grant (tamgrant) | 214 comments then when I'm a few pages from the end Clayton finds the stupid letter!

Ah, you read the "updated" version! The original version didn't have that ending with the letter and the spanking scene was a bit different. And I think there was a "no means yes" scene that was changed, too.

I heard that McNaught added that after people got upset about what a jerk Clayton was. I'd prefer to call it a copout. :)

OK then I got messed up because I read the old version and there WAS a letter that didn't get burned but should have (it was fall/winter in England there were NO fireplaces crackling merrily????) and so it was found later. Ack, I'm so confused, but I'm not reading it again to try to figure it all out. :P

No, you have the original (my copy). The last half was so aggravating with the Big Mis that I think I've gotten all the details confused because I was seeing them through a haze of red rage. :P

Think Bitterleaf. :P

message 26: by Dana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana | 3 comments Susan wrote: "Well fellow readers, I have finished Whitney! I was thinking, towards the end, that I would leave my 5 star rating because I was really enjoying the book (going easy on the 27 million MISUNDERSTAN..."

I reread this book about once a year. LOVE IT! And I always stop right before the "Letter".... Keeps the book at 5 stars for me. The letter is just f'ing annoying!

But the rest of the book? Mmmmmmm

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bitterleaf (other topics)