Movies We've Just Watched discussion

LISTS, LISTS, AND MORE LISTS > Movies That Never Get Old

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Kass | 38 comments There are a few movies I've seen that either seem to get better the more you watch them, or are so good, you can't help but watch them numerous times. Here are a few of my favorites...

The Big Lebowski
The Saint
What About Bob
Singin' in the Rain

What are some movies you can watch multiple times and never get tired of them?

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments LA Story
Beetlejuice
Repo Man
Grease

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (cubgirl) | 31 comments Aliens
Valley Girl
Field Of Dreams

message 4: by George (last edited Nov 09, 2011 03:05PM) (new)

George | 951 comments The original King Kong.
Psycho
North by Northwest

message 5: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 132 comments The Thing
Sunset Boulevard
Blue Velvet

message 6: by Shanawaz (new)

Shanawaz Ali (shaan_d206) | 36 comments The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Die Hard
The Road to El do rado

message 7: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments I will watch Fanny and Alexander an infinite amount of times and nothing could make me happier.

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Some great picks above.

Some of my favorites:
Blade Runner
Royal Tennenbaums
Groundhog Day
Blues Brothers

message 9: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 250 comments i loved Singing in the rain
the sound of music
show boat
west side story
La Strada
Midnight in Paris

message 10: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 46 comments Shanghai Express
Amélie
St. Trinians' (*cringes*)
Spirited Away, I Can Hear the Sea and pretty much any Studio Ghibli film
Beetlejuice
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Roman Holiday

message 11: by Phillip (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:20AM) (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments this is about the third time over the past few years that we have had a thread like this - i'm resisting the urge to post, simply because i've already posted a list on two previous threads.

but ...
i'm sure i'll submit eventually :)

message 12: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Kass | 38 comments Phillip wrote: "this is about the third time over the past few years that we have had a thread like this - i'm resisting the urge to post, simply because i've already posted a list on two previous threads.

but ....."

Whoops, sorry... I didn't know there had been threads like this before. I tried to look for one, but couldn't find anything... My bad.

message 13: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments no, it's cool - i think these things need to be revisited. and there are a lot of newer folks that weren't around then, so it's good to get a fresh look at some new opinions.

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments Baxter wrote: "I will watch Fanny and Alexander an infinite amount of times and nothing could make me happier."

criterion has just released it on blu-ray ... if i hadn't picked up the big criterion box with both versions and the making-of documentary i would rush out and buy it today.

http://www.criterion.com/current/post...

message 15: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments Phillip wrote: "Baxter wrote: "I will watch Fanny and Alexander an infinite amount of times and nothing could make me happier."

criterion has just released it on blu-ray ... if i hadn't picked up the big criterio..."

I saw that. It was released about two weeks after I bought the normal box set and yet I was still super tempted to just buy it. Only thing that kept me from doing it was telling myself that there are too many other Criterion DVDs I need to get (i.e., all of them).

message 16: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Kass | 38 comments T e s n i wrote: "Shanghai Express
Amélie
Beetlejuice
Roman Holiday"

I love Amelie! Audrey Tautou is one of my favorite actresses. Have you seen A Very Long Engagement? If not, it's a great movie.

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments Baxter wrote: "I saw that. It was released about two weeks after I bought the normal box set and yet I was still super tempted to just buy it. Only thing that kept me from doing it was telling myself that there are too many other Criterion DVDs I need to get (i.e., all of them). ..."

exactly! - my copy of KURONEKO just showed up via UPS today :)

message 18: by Phillip (last edited Nov 11, 2011 11:07AM) (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments 1) Fanny & Alexander (Ingmar Bergman)
2) The Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)
3) Juliet of the Spirits (Federico Fellini)
4) Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky)
5) Belle et la Bette (Jean Cocteau)
6) Bicycle Thieves (Vittorio DeSica)
7) The 39 Steps (Alfred Hitchcock)
8) The Big Sleep (Howard Hawks)
9) Los Olvidados (Luis Bunuel)
10) The Cranes Are Flying (Mikhail Kalatozov)
11 ) L'Avventura (Michelangelo Antonioni)
12) Aguirre, the Wrath of God (Werner Herzog)
13) Alphaville (Jean-Luc Goddard)
14) 2001: A Space Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick)
15) Late Spring (Yasujiro Ozu)
16) The Godfather (Francis Ford Coppola)
17) 8 ½ (Federico Fellini)
18) Mama Roma (Pier Paolo Pasolini)
19) Cleo from 5 to 7 (Agnes Varda)
20) Chinatown (Roman Polanski)
21) Frankenstein (James Whale)
22) Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch)
23) Mulholland Drive (David Lynch)
24) Pink Flamingoes (John Waters)
25) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper)

feels like i'm cutting off one or two of my arms by not listing films like SWORD OF DOOM, BRANDED TO KILL, THE ICE STORM, BOB LE FLAMBEUR, EMPIRE OF PASSION - or even TENDER MERCIES, but i tried to keep it to 25 ... this is basically a list with one film by most of my favorite directors. i've seen all of these films countless times .... i've seen THE BIG SLEEP at least 30 times.

message 19: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "exactly! - my copy of KURONEKO just showed up via UPS today :) "

oooooooh. [jealous]

Did they remaster it at all? I may have to look into that.

Movies I've seen more times than I care to count...
Begotten
Before Night Falls
Hangar 18 (though I haven't seen it in probably 25 years)
Return of the Living Dead
Night of the Living Dead
Dawn of the Dead ('78, though in three separate formats)
Profondo Rosso
The House Is Black
Sain
Audition
Arasoit
Staplerfahrer Klaus
Zombi 2
Solaris ('79)
Delicatessen

that's 15, and not counting at least 2 on Phillip's list (Stalker and Dead Man)... I could keep going...

message 20: by Phillip (last edited Nov 11, 2011 09:34AM) (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments i have to check out ZOMBI 2 ... but can't find it.

it's also a shame i didn't include NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD ... these lists are never complete ... that's why i posted my 100 favorite films list a while back.

message 21: by Robert (last edited Nov 11, 2011 09:46AM) (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "i have to check out ZOMBI 2 ... but can't find it."

The name you find it under often depends on the country you're in at any given time-- I seriously think it was released under a different title in every country on the planet at least once.

In America, it's usually known as Zombie. That is, unless you get one of the Anchor Bay editions released under the Zombi 2 name (e.g., the 25th anniv. edition: http://www.amazon.com/Zombi-25th-Anni.... I've got one). In England, it was known at various times as Zombi 2, Zombie Flesh Eaters, and... a third title that's not coming to mind off the top of my head (Zombie Flesh Eaters was the name it got banned under as a video nasty; I think there was some intentional distributor obfuscation in the early eighties to throw the BBFC off the scent).

The trailer for the new Blue Underground restoration is the original US TV spot (which I remember seeing in 1980 as if it were yesterday... the only more effective trailer I can think of off the top of my head was that for Attenborough's Magic), with ~45 sec. of Blue Underground promo for the restoration tacked onto the end:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqFWrG...

so cheesy, and yet so iconic.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments i saw the "first" one, simply entitled ZOMBI, and you've mentioned this one before ... i'm assuming it's some sort of sequel?

message 23: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 46 comments Kelsey wrote: "T e s n i wrote: "Shanghai Express
Amélie
Beetlejuice
Roman..."

Yes, she's my favourite living actress. :-) I haven't seen that, actually, but I'm gradually working my way through her filmography so I'll hopefully get around to it soon.

message 24: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "i saw the "first" one, simply entitled ZOMBI, and you've mentioned this one before ... i'm assuming it's some sort of sequel?"

It's called Zombi 2 because it was marketed as a sequel to Dawn of the Dead in Italy.

message 25: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 135 comments The Princess Bride
Mary Poppins
The Parent Trap (original)

message 26: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments Robert wrote: "Phillip wrote: "i saw the "first" one, simply entitled ZOMBI, and you've mentioned this one before ... i'm assuming it's some sort of sequel?"

It's called Zombi 2 because it was marketed as a sequ..."

then i've already seen it ... loved it

message 27: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments Robert wrote: "Did they remaster it at all? I may have to look into that..."

i have not viewed earlier prints or editions of KURONEKO, but i have to assume that it has been remastered - the criterion print (i've just watched it from start to finish) is gorgeous. and what a soundtrack!

message 28: by Robert (new)

Robert Beveridge (xterminal) Phillip wrote: "then i've already seen it ... loved it "

Just to make things more fun: my screensaver is a whole bunch (as in 6500+) horror and exploitation movie posters. Haven't seen most of them yet. I just happened upon one from somewhere in Europe where Dawn of the Dead was marketed as... Zombie 2.

I guess if you were going to see a zombie movie in Europe in the late seventies, it was something of a crapshoot.

message 29: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments like, anything might end up on the screen

message 30: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 9 comments here's mine

Forrest Gump
I Am Sam
Atonement
Harry Potter
The Lion King
What's Your Number
She's The Man
10 Things I Hate About You
Pride and Prejudice
The Sound of Music
Moulin Rouge
She's Out of my League
Mean Girls

message 31: by Phillip (last edited Nov 12, 2011 12:10AM) (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments i've been wanting to watch 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU again ... want to revisit some early heath ledger

message 32: by Julie (new)

Julie (brontesister) | 899 comments Phillip wrote: "i've been wanting to watch 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU again ... want to revisit some early heath ledger"

I love that film! Heath was so good in it, as was Julia Stiles. And it wasn't a silly teen flick but had a great story. I love Julia Stiles' character, the fearlessly smart and non-conformist Kat. I liked the music in it too.

message 33: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 9 comments yeah the soundtrack in 10 things i hate about you is awesome!

message 34: by Kelsey (last edited Nov 14, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

Kelsey Kass | 38 comments I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came across another one of my favorites. Tommy Boy! Gotta love Chris Farley. "Brothers don't shake hands... Brothers gotta hug!"

Ooh, and Cable Guy. I know a lot don't like that movie, but I love it!

message 35: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (foiltheplot) Oh, there are so many greats to choose from! It's hard to narrow my list down because I enjoy so many different genres. I'll take anything by Mel Brooks (for starters).

Here are a few of my other favs:

Young Frankenstein
Sunset Boulevard
Funny Face (Audrey Hepburn)
Inglorious Basterds
Bridesmaids
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
To Catch A Thief
Blood Diamond
Wall-E
Underworld

message 36: by MichelleCH (new)

MichelleCH (lalatina) Spaceballs and The Princess Bride. Even though I have seen them a million times, they still make me laugh.

message 37: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Pretty Woman...Gets me all the time.

message 38: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Brown (PamelaKayNobleBrown) | 26 comments Sparkle, The Five Heartbeats, Lady Sings The Blues, Sunset Boulevard, The Unsuspected, The Godfather, It's A Wonderful Life, Casablanca, Key Largo, Dark Passage, and All About Eve.

message 39: by Gregg (new)

Gregg (GJDonaldson) | 2 comments Any Alfred Hitchcock movie!

message 40: by Paul (new)

Paul | 4 comments Dead Poet Society - Classic
Finding Forrester
Warrior - New found favorite
Vanilla Sky - I catch myself renting it from time to time
I could also watch over and over again, which I have before, the Christopher Nolan Batman's

message 41: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Raphael (MaryanneRaphael) | 250 comments I loved the Dead Poet Society and Finding Forrester. Maryanne

message 42: by Pickle (last edited Jan 16, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

Pickle | 132 comments five of the top movie's ive watched most often recently would be:

1) A Scanner Darkly - the finest PKD movie to date and one of the greatest movie's made imo. I actually love the movie more than the book but was glad the movie was a faithful conversion.

2) Blue Velvet - David Lynch is a genius and i rate this as his greatest movie.

3) Brain Damage - supposedly an anti-drugs/lsd movie but its an 80's B movie horror extravaganza!

4)2010 - i think this is an awesome movie which has only really dated with the East/West thing but its excellent.

5)The Thing - I love john carpenter and this was possibly his finest moment.

message 43: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 31 comments The Blues Brothers - oh, man - that'll never get old and it's just too funny.

We have the DVD and watch it twice a year - it's always just like the first time.

message 44: by Gary (new)

Gary | 8 comments The Blues Brothers - Ok I'll stick my neck out and say it... BEST MOVIE EVER!!!

Amelie - Like a big piece of chocolate cake, sickly sweet, then you'll throw up, but afterwards you wont be able to bring yourself to regret it and will live to do it again.

Dellamorte Dellamore - Can a zombie movie ever really be beautiful? I vote yes.

Survive Style 5+ - When life just appears to be different shades of grey I want my senses to be utterly overwhelmed by colour.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) - Most terrifying movie ever. When somebody asks "What the §@?! is up with people?" handing this over is the most articulate response I have.

Big Trouble in Little China - "have you paid your dues Jack.... The check is in the mail"

Four Lions - Is it wrong for me to laugh so hard about a subject so serious, sad and tragic? But seriously Chris, the sorry state of TV comedy requires your immediate return to the small screen.

Hausu - Absolutely bananas

I'm sure there are a few more but these are my most repeat watched over the last few years.

message 45: by Jim (last edited Jan 30, 2012 06:09AM) (new)

Jim (jim_) There's a few movies above, i've never seen and i am adding to my watch list. And i'm feeling the Blues Brothers sentiment. I watched that over the holidays, forgot how much i loved that film and greater appreciation for the music, i didn't really discover the blues until later. My poor girlfriend got to hear me sound out some of the lines. I couldn't help it, it was one of my first vcr films that i owned and i played over 50 times. I have Blues Brothers, John Lee Hooker, Matt Guitar Murphy as some of my Pandora Artists, and i should have some other musicians or music like Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn, Aretha Franklin, and Cab Calloway.

10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU - One of my favorite randomn films that i can't turn the channel on.

Rocket Science

Harold and Maude

SQUID AND THE WHALE

message 46: by Dallas (new)

Dallas (storminmormon) | 2 comments Its a wonderful life
White Christmas
Phantom of the Opera
The Sandlot

message 47: by Gigi (last edited Feb 28, 2012 10:32PM) (new)

Gigi | 44 comments Lili
Gigi
Suspicion
The Godfather
Rebecca
Sound of Music
Masquerade
Love With The Proper Stranger
Scarface
Wedding Crashers

message 48: by Amber (new)

Amber (YA Indulgences) (yaindulgences) | 7 comments Beauty and The Beast
Titanic
Rent
A Walk to Remember

message 49: by Bea (last edited May 11, 2012 10:34AM) (new)

Bea | 87 comments Singing' in the Rain
8 1/2
Nights of Cabiria
Top Hat
The Gay Divorcee
Swing Time
Ikiru
Seven Samurai
Notorious
The Lady Vanishes
Strangers on a Train
Harold and Maude
Almost anything by Ozu
Almost anything by Jean Renoir
The Shop Around the Corner
When Harry Met Sally
Muriel's Wedding
City Lights
Frankenstein
Chinatown

message 50: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10505 comments nice list, bea!

« previous 1