Historical Fictionistas discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Read Discussions > November/December 2011 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3676 comments Mod
Uh oh, I'm a little behind! Sorry for the late notice!!

Post here to nominate your choice for group read for Nov/Dec. No theme or requirements, but please link to title and author.

One nomination per person. We'll close it out at the end of day tomorrow and then vote.

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) slacker..

message 5: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 252 comments The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

...I've been wanting to read this one anyway. Magical realism set in Victorian England. Or it might be Victorian America. Anyway, it's Victorian, and I've heard the historical aspects of it are very engaging.

message 6: by David (new)

David Pilling (robeh) Sir Nigel by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :)

message 7: by Sameena (new)

message 8: by Nance (last edited Nov 09, 2011 12:30PM) (new)

Nance (nabpurple12) | -3 comments How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewellyn

message 9: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Chris wrote: "slacker.."

Shush you! :P

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel G (anplica) | 282 comments I am just watching Downton Abbey and am loving it and its setting in Edwardian England. I want to learn more, so my nomination is The House at Riverton.

message 13: by Nancy from NJ (last edited Nov 09, 2011 12:41PM) (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I loved Downton Abbey and The House at Riverton. There are supposed to be new episodes some time this year.

message 14: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) I was just going to look over my stacks to recommend a book when I realized I packed many of them. So now I will have to think of a title.

OK here it is:

The Invisible Bridge

message 15: by Jackie, That's Her Constableness to you! (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) | 2463 comments Mod
Sameena wrote: "Banyan by Sameena Michelle Bachmeier"

Considering this is your first post, meaning you have not participated in our group, this nomination will not be considered. Please take a look at our Group Rules. If you would like to remain in the group you are more then welcome to introduce yourself in the Introduction Thread, but again please no spamming or you will be removed from the group per our rules. Thanks :)

message 16: by Robin (last edited Nov 09, 2011 12:51PM) (new)

message 17: by Frederick (last edited Nov 09, 2011 01:04PM) (new)

Frederick Andresen May I recommend "Dos Gringos" by Frederick R. Andresen. A popular family tale set in The Mexican Revolution, "A Norwegian and an Irishman meet in a Texas bar..." The historical setting at the time of "The Zimmerman Telegram" is accurate, engrossing, and humorous. Some call it "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid--with accents."

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith Starkston | 75 comments I'll nominate a book that I was blown away by I loved it so much: Next to Love by Ellen Feldman.

message 19: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I'd like to nominate Lily of the Nileby Stephanie Dray. The library just e-mailed me saying that I can pick it up.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy I would like to nominate Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier. Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier Remarkable Creaturesby Tracy Chevalier Tracy Chevalier

message 21: by Tracie (new)

Tracie | 6 comments I second the nominations of The Night Circus, The House at Riverton and A Christmas Carol!!A Christmas CarolThe House at RivertonThe Night Circus

message 23: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ I would like to nominate The Owl Killers by Karen Maitland.

message 24: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I would like to nominate By Fire, By Water by Mitchell James Kaplan . It's a discounted ebook over at Amazon right now.
Also, I Am the Chosen King (The Saxon Series #1) by Helen Hollick appears very interesting.

message 26: by L. (new)

L. (igotstufftodo) Night of Sorrows: A Novel by Frances Sherwood

Because I just got it in my latest book splurge.

message 27: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann The Night Circus was excellent! I would read it again in a heartbeat!

message 28: by Viviane (new)

Viviane Cordeiro (vivika13) | -3 comments Hummmm As I'm new on this group, I'll indicate my favorite book: The Bronze Horseman o/

message 30: by Luckngrace (new)

Luckngrace | 311 comments How about Slammerkin Slammerkin by Emma Donoghue by Emma Donoghue? It's getting good reviews.

message 31: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (readingwithmargaret) | 309 comments The Map of Time byFélix J. Palma. Because I have been wanted to read it for so long.

message 32: by Bill (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

Bill (kernos) | 39 comments Akhenaten: Dweller in Truth by Naguib Mahfouz Nobel prize winner for Literature

message 33: by Darkpool (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:50PM) (new)

Darkpool | 16 comments I'd like to nominate The Sky's Dark Labyrinth by Stuart Clark, although there are a bunch of the already nominated that I'd be just as happy to read. I've added about 5 of them to the tbr list already.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (rockstarninja) | 138 comments Great Expectations! I've been meaning to read it for a while now.

message 36: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Judith wrote: "I'll nominate a book that I was blown away by I loved it so much: Next to Love by Ellen Feldman."

Judith - Ellen Feldman has written some interesting books and they are all very different. My favorite
title is The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank.

message 37: by Jessica (last edited Nov 09, 2011 10:08PM) (new)

Jessica (jessica76) Oooo, can we read The Confessions of Catherine De Mediciby CW Gortner? I need an excuse to pick that off my shelf and would love to have other's views. The blurb says: From the splendours of the Loire palaces to the blood-soaked battles of the Wars of Religion and haunted halls of the Louvre, this is the story of Catherine's dramatic life, told by the queen herself.

message 38: by Joe (last edited Nov 09, 2011 10:44PM) (new)

Joe Whitney | 10 comments A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell--one of the best books I've read this year.

message 39: by Michelle (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:03PM) (new)

message 40: by Nancy from NJ (new)

Katz Nancy from NJ (nancyk18) Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian

message 41: by Diana (new)

Diana (dandelionred) The Glass of Time by Michael Cox The Glass of Time by Michael Cox

message 43: by jb (new)

jb Byrkit (jbbyrkit) Wow there are so many great nominations!

message 44: by Nada (new)

Nada (nada-sadek) The Seed by Fola The Seed by Fola

message 45: by Becky, Moddess (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:21AM) (new)

OK... I'm closing out the nominations now because we already have more than enough.

As a reminder, ONE nomination was allowed per person, so those of you who mentioned two books in your post will have the first counted only.

message 46: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Rothbard (polycarp55) Becky wrote: "Uh oh, I'm a little behind! Sorry for the late notice!!

Post here to nominate your choice for group read for Nov/Dec. No theme or requirements, but please link to title and author.

One nomi..."

How about The Exploits of BRIGADIER GERARD by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (vashondeb) | -8 comments Napoleon's Pyramid by William Dietrich

message 48: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Hi all... Nominations are closed now that we have over 30 nominations. Thanks!.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.