A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Clash of Kings discussion

Robb

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Gina Hawk I'm about 3/4 through the second book...
does Robb ever get his own chapters?! I'd love it if he did.

Carly nope unfortunately not :(

Gina Hawk So unfortunate! :(

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I wish he did, but he never does. :( I always feel like we get a weird, biased or half- view of him, always seeing him through his mother's eyes. Or Jon's.

Gina Hawk I agree, I don't really like the view Catelyn has of him. I understand he's her son, but she needs to have some faith in him.

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue I couldn't ever figure out why he never got prominent role in the books. You think he would have, being king of the north and all, but he's just used more as a plot device, especially when shit goes so bad.

Will IV Gina wrote: "I understand he's her son, but she needs to have some faith in him."

Well, I mean, he's like 13 years old in the books. How many 13 year olds would you trust to run an army?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Will wrote: "Gina wrote: "I understand he's her son, but she needs to have some faith in him."

Well, I mean, he's like 13 years old in the books. How many 13 year olds would you trust to run an army?"

He starts as 14, but he's 16 going on 17 by book 3.

Will IV Point still stands.

message 10: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Hawk Eh, valid point. I don't care for her attitude towards the matter. She's growing more on me though as I keep reading and I am starting to enjoy her chapters.

message 11: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV I mean, you also have to think about how he's the only child left besides Bran that is around for her to protect, so she's going to be a bit overprotective of him.

Nancy Piper Oh Lord......:( the whole Stark family is just so very honorable.

message 13: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby No, sorry. Cat's loves him so much, and it's just so endearing and sad! Sorry. Lips are sealed.

message 14: by Ruby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby The thing about Ned is that he was so regal and honarable.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I just wish Catelyn would trust him more about some things. I think her instincts were right at first, like when she warned him against Theon, but after she lost Bran and Rickon she just got paranoid and desperate -- that was the beginning of things that led to where she is in Book 4 (I'd explain, but my lips are sealed against spoilers!). She starts questioning everything he does and driving him away, like in the matter of Jon Snow, until Robb just doesn't want her around anymore and arranges to send her away.

Nancy Piper But Catelyn backed off and let him lead the Stark family into war.....even if he was 13 or 15....mothers sees him as a kid, but he became a man, and Catelyn allowed him to, she stood beside him. That's what I got out of it....just sayin...

message 17: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Laura wrote: "She starts questioning everything he does"

And for good reason! Remember who he ended up marrying? And breaking a vow by doing so, and what that led to?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Will wrote: "Laura wrote: "She starts questioning everything he does"

And for good reason! Remember who he ended up marrying? And breaking a vow by doing so, and what that led to?"

Funny thing is, she's not with him when that happens, so she had no say in it. Usually when she's there and second-guesses him, he turns out to be right, oddly. When he married Jeyne and broke his vow, though, Catelyn accepted her and her family -- the one time she *should* have put her foot and down and made him break it off, or something...

message 19: by Will (new) - rated it 4 stars

Will IV Laura wrote: "Funny thing is, she's not with him when that happens, so she had no say in it."

Exactly, the one time she's not there to make sure he's doing the right thing, he goes off and does something extremely stupid and juvenile. Unfortunately, by the time he came back, he was already married and his mind was completely made up. She knew there was nothing she could do about it at that point. Also, do the Northerners even have divorces?

message 20: by Gina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina Hawk I just got to the park in book 3 where Robb comes back married to Jeyne. I'm getting so mad at him now! So silly. Just the whole thing about not bring the direwolf around him b/c of her and stuff. I agree w/ you guys about that is when Catelyn should have made more of a stink about that. I just wanted to throw my book down when reading that part! The nerve of Robb, I guess love does make you do funny things. And he is a Stark, so of course he had to marry her. Oh, and to my recollection I can't think of anyone getting divorced? I could be wrong.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Will wrote: "Laura wrote: "Funny thing is, she's not with him when that happens, so she had no say in it."

Exactly, the one time she's not there to make sure he's doing the right thing, he goes off and does so..."

I just thought, if Catelyn could bitch at him so much about his other decisions, then certainly she could have brought out the motherly tongue-lashing and foot-stamping here. I guess she didn't because she had just done something wrong herself, releasing Jaime. But still. It would have been better for everyone involved if Robb had done what his father did -- get Jeyne pregnant, leave her, marry where he was promised, and raised his bastard later. Harsh, but when you consider what happened...

As for divorce, unconsummated marriages could be put aside under the religion of the Seven (as Tywin reminds Tyrion). Tywin also broke off Tyrion's first marriage -- legally or not, I don't know. Under the old northern gods, I'm not sure what applies, but a king could probably do what he wants.