Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Historical Fiction > New Book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (new)

Carole Mcentee-Taylor (carolemct) | 12 comments It was only a second in time, but that second changed the course of Rob and Annie Davies’ life for ever. For Rob it meant a living hell in Nazi occuiped Europe whilst Annie struggled painfully on without him. As war ended and the men went home Rob’s life took a savage new twist and this time it was Felcia’s turn to wait and struggle on. But the split second decision that had bought so much heartache and suffering eventually bought Rob, Annie and Felcia a much greater happiness.

A Second in Time takes the reader on a roller coaster of emotion from the Spanish Civil War of the 1930s to the austerity of Cold War 1950s. An epic odyssey of love, obsession, jealousy, hatred and betrayal as the lives of three ordinary people are changed by decisions and events beyond their control.

The inspiration for A Second in Time came out of research into the strange disappearance of over 30,000 allied POWs from Eastern Europe at the end of the Second World War. What really happened to them?

A Second in Time is available at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/... and you can download some to read before you decide to buy:)

message 2: by Joyce (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:42PM) (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 26 comments I write historical fiction and it's WWII also, but in the Pacific. So far, I have written two books set in the Philippines during the war ( A Healing Place ) and (Blessed Are the Merciful). A Healing Place actually starts in the 1930's in the U.S. during the Great Depression but the last half is during WWII when the son-in-law goes to Philippines and is forced to walk the infamous Bataan Death March. Blessed is a book that is strictly in the Philippines, but it starts just before the war and two American people fall in love (a soldier and nurse). They are eventually separated after having to surrender, and many things happen to them both. It was interesting to me to discover that the main reason they were forced to surrender was because they couldn't get any aide from the Americans at the time. They were supporing only one front at a time, and that was in Europe. I try to relate what happens to each person around the same time as the story flows. Elton walks the Bataan Death March, is sent to several camps, and even is put on 2 Hell ships, which was common, because many were sunk and some people did survive. They both work for the Filipino Underground, and it is Susan who manages to relay the message from Emperor Hirohito that he wants the Japanese to kill all non-Janpanese on the islands. The Americans finally come to the rescue. It can be found at www.blessedarethemerciful.net and the other at: www.novelahealingplace.com. It was interesting to not only study the war in the Pacific but the Depression as well. I learned a lot. Thanks! Joyce Shaughnessy

message 3: by Carole (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:59PM) (new)

Carole Mcentee-Taylor (carolemct) | 12 comments Hi Joyce
Your books sound really interesting and well worth reading. The 1930s is a facinating period - so many things happening and with hindsight what followed was obviously always going to happen. Let's hope the same doesn't happen now as history seems to be repeating itself again which is really scary as our weapons technology is a lot more lethal than it was then.

I must be honest and admit that my knowledge of the UKs part in WW2 is much greater than my knowledge of the USAs part. My main interest has always been the European theatre rather than the Pacific but I will be gradually expanding my knowledge and your books will provide a useful point of reference.

I guess the reason the Americans were concentrating their efforts on Europe was because that was seen as the greatest threat although,again with hindsight, that may not really have been the case.

I think one of the best things about writing historical fiction set during WW2 is that you can lose yourself in a different time period. I don't know about you but I always wonder how I would have coped in such a dramatic time!

Good luck with your books
xCarole

message 4: by Joyce (new)

Joyce Shaughnessy (joyceshaughnessy) | 26 comments Thanks! I appreciate that. The Pacific was a great threat because of their determination to keep going to the death. They killed 9 out of 10 POWs because they hated anyone who surrendered. They left our pows looking like someone who came out of the Jewish extermination camps. They were fanatic and scary. I agree with you about the scarier weapons now. I watch the middle east and shudder. What will happen next? Joyce