readers advisory for all discussion

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Hey, all. So I'm in a young adult literature class, and it's come to my attention that I don't understand and appreciate manga. Maybe I'm too old, but I feel like I should at least try to understand it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to read first? I would like something that's not too weird, has a bit of romance, and a good-looking man. Keep in mind that I am a complete newbie to this genre.

susie

message 2: by ––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•- (last edited Nov 09, 2011 11:23AM) (new)

––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•- (theinsomniacbookhoarder) | 2 comments Im a massive otaku..Shoujo manga is my bread and butter =)) Below are just some of the popular mangas that fit your criteria, as well as having a good storyline (no sulking heroines and drama queens). These are the most common ones that people are quite familiar with.

Vampire Knight
Dengeki Daisy
Skip Beat
Backstage Prince
Ouran High Host Club
Hana Kimi
Special A
Atsu Atsu Trattoria (recommended)

**Head is totally blank as all the wonderful manga titles are swirling and loss in thought**

What I can suggest is to go through websites such as (mangafox, mangareader, mangatraders and etc) and go to their advance search option and tick in your preferred genre, i.e Romance and cross out things that you might find weird. I suggest going through oneshot mangas first as they are easier to absorb and are less time consuming.

Happy reading =)) Hope I was able to assist somehow..

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments You are awesome, Maz. Here's another question. Should I try to buy these manga at a Japanese bookstore? I heard that you can read them online. Is that true?

message 4: by K. (new)

K. (aoutranc3) Susie wrote: "You are awesome, Maz. Here's another question. Should I try to buy these manga at a Japanese bookstore? I heard that you can read them online. Is that true?"

A lot of the time the fan scanlations of the manga are actually better than the official translations, due to the lack of censorship and the more in depth explanations of language puns/cultural references. I would definitely check out some of the sites Maz recommended (and second the rec for Ouran High School Host club - it's a light and funny read).

message 5: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i just moved this topic down into the asking folder, so more people would potentially see it. carry on!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Thanks, Karen and Katie!! I can't wait for January break when I can actually read this stuff.

––––•(-•The Insomniac Book Hoarder•- (theinsomniacbookhoarder) | 2 comments The issue with today's modern society is that we are bombarded with options and that choosing has become quite overwhelming. Such is the issue with manga =))

As what I have previously recommended and what Katie had suggested, there are numerous websites that offer gazillions of scanlated mangas. But if you like to own something tangible and would want to support the mangaka's work then by all means buy (^__^). I live in Sydney, Kinokuniya (bookstore) most stocked place with mangas at reasonable prices. I'm sure you guys have it too.

But if you want something hassle free, and literally free of charge then just look through the websites I listed before and your pretty much good to go..

message 8: by Tuck (new)

Tuck | 184 comments Susie wrote: "Hey, all. So I'm in a young adult literature class, and it's come to my attention that I don't understand and appreciate manga. Maybe I'm too old, but I feel like I should at least try to underst..."
i am not sure if these qualify, but i really liked the short-lived minx imprint from dc comics with titles like 'the plain janes", 'kimmee66",'re-gifters', 'good as lily'...but maybe they are graphic novels and not manga? i don't know, but they are great reads and art

The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci
Good as Lily (Minx) by Derek Kirk Kim
Clubbing by Andi Watson

message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Wow, you guys are so great. I want to hug you all! (Btw, I realize nowadays that it's just so hard to find people who like or love reading unless you sift through or happen upon them randomly.)

message 10: by Micha (last edited Dec 03, 2011 04:25PM) (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 64 comments Hi Susie!

First I would just like to say that one is never too old to become a manga lover! Particularly when there are so many out there with interesting stories and some of which require life experience to be fully enjoyed.

Maz gave you a great starting point (It's great to see another otaku here, Maz! ^_^), and I don't have much in terms of full volumes for you, but if you are new to manga, I would try reading a few one shots.
Here are two of my favourites:

Island manga

Marie no Kanaderu Ongaku/The Music of Marie

Another resource that might be helpful to you is myanimelist.net (MAL), which you can use to catelog what you're reading.

Island MAL link

The Music of Marie MAL link

Happy reading!

Micha

message 11: by Sherbie (new)

Sherbie (herpassion) | 4 comments Susie wrote: "Hey, all. So I'm in a young adult literature class, and it's come to my attention that I don't understand and appreciate manga. Maybe I'm too old, but I feel like I should at least try to underst..."

hello there! I love, love mangas and been reading them since elementary school! For the genre you were asking for I can only recommend a few. Hana Yori Dango is my favorite but it's an old manga and the art sometimes is not that good. But the story is great. I second Maz's recommendations of Vampire Knight(beautiful art! You dont mind reading about Vamps?),
Ouran high school host club(oh my more beautiful men, it was also adapted into anime),
and Hana Kimi.
I havent read the others, might soon do so :)
Happy reading and let us know how you find them =)

message 12: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 11 comments Solanin is pretty good, very slice of life and realistic.

Fruits Basket, Vol. 1 isn't very weird for shoujo (girls) manga and has a sweet story with a good-looking cast.

Dramacon, Volume 1 is american, but manga styled.

Also, these don't have romance, but they are really fun for people new to manga. Yotsuba&!, Vol. 1 and Azumanga Daioh, Volume 1.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (peptastic) I agree Fruits Basket is the best. Vampire Knight is good too but I didn't read the whole series. Fruits Basket is the only one I had to order the issues from Australia because they weren't being translated into English fast enough.

I really liked Nana and Paradise Kiss by AI Yazawa. The fashions are amazing.

message 14: by Micha (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 64 comments Hi Susie,

I just wanted to give an update.

Given the high ratings you gave to Count of Monte Cristo I thought it might interest you to know that there is a manga (and anime) adaptation available that is quite good. In Japanese, it is called Gankutsuou :Gankutsuou 2

I had forgotten that I already gave you recommendations here, so when I looked at your book list and saw Shaun Tan and a number of other favourites of mine I immediately thought "I bet she would LOVE Island and Marie" (haha), little did I know... ^_^

However, I have two last manga recommendations for you that are the BEST, most slice-of life you could possibly ask for:
1. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (volume 1), Cafe Alpha

2. Aqua, Volume 1

I hope you are enjoying your quest through the world of manga!

message 15: by Stuti (new)

Stuti Rai (andsothefireflies) | 10 comments here are some of my favorites-

Based solely on romance and high school:

Maid Sama Volume 1
Hayate the combat butler vol 1
Ouran High School Host Club

Light humor and nonsense:
Beelzebub Vol 1
One Piece

Sci-fi and Fantasy:
Code Geass(one of the best and most intelligent manga/anime ever. not really sci-fi- just futuristic machinations and court intrigue and politics and revolutions and vengeance and wars and freedom)
Blue Exorcist Vol 1(ao no exorcist in japanese)
Black Butler Vol 1
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Vol 1
Bleach
Death Note(another very intelligent manga with a psychotic protagnist- actually antagonist)
Stigma of the Wind
Darker than Black