Lush Library discussion

Haruki Murakami
This topic is about Haruki Murakami
Authors > Murakami Haruki - Haruki Murakami

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
I was just wondering who else has read his books? Every time I click on one of them there is a group member under it. I'd really like to know what you think of him and how his books make you feel?

message 2: by Ten (last edited Nov 10, 2011 02:48PM) (new)

Ten | 34 comments I got The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as part of a set with Alice in Wonderland. It is really, really, REALLY bizarre. Things just happen without rhyme or reason, it's like a segmented dream. I've always wondered whether this kind of storytelling is normal for a japanese person - it seems to share that disjointed quality japanese films have.

message 3: by Kirsty (new)

Ten wrote: "I got The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as part of a set with Alice in Wonderland. It is really, really, REALLY bizarre. Things just happen without rhyme or reason, it's like a segmented drea..."

That is such a good question. I like Asian fiction and started reading it when living over there but the only other Japanese author I have read was also disjointed. I wish I'd finished it now but I had to return it to the library (way late and they racked up so many fees on it that I don't bother borrowing now). I have a pile of HM to read but when I finish Kafka I don't think I'll be moving on to his new books straight away as planned. I'll have a break and get my head straight.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
Ten wrote: "I got The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle as part of a set with Alice in Wonderland. It is really, really, REALLY bizarre. Things just happen without rhyme or reason, it's like a segmented drea..."

I have that set, too. I've yet to read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but it's on my list. I want to read it before I start 1Q84, ideally, so I'll be starting it soon. I've heard people talk about how disjointed it is, and that's what's put me off so far. I guess I'll never know if I don't give it a try, though!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I also want to read Wind-Up Bird. I have only read Norwegian Wood by Haruki and I didn't think that much of it to be honest though. 1Q84 sounds intriguing though :) I have read a fair amount of Japanese literature and they do seem generally a bit odd and dreamy.

If anyone likes more horror style books I would recommend the 'other' Murakami - Ryu, his books are great.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
Someone on my masters course did their dissertation on Ryu Murakami. It sounded fascinating, but I never found the time to read any. Thanks for reminding me :)

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Sarah, I would highly recommend both In the Miso Soup and Coin Locker Babies.

message 8: by Kirsty (last edited Mar 01, 2013 11:07AM) (new)

Redesign of Haruki Murakami book covers

What do you think?

I prefer the old covers Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (I still have to read the end of it! I went to read it the other day and discovered it hadn't made it back on to my kindle after I cleared the whole thing and checked the metadata) A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami . They are nice and subtle without going for the bold black, white, red combo. I do like screen prints that they are screen prints too so they may be more striking up close.