Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > HP Fanfiction

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments I stumbled across this entry http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10... and am now wondering if this should be listed on Goodreads. It's a Harry Potter Fanfiction, one that's apparently still in progress. It's not an ebook (the link points to fanfiction.net where the story is hosted). What are the policies around this kind of thing?

Thanks.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7027 comments Here is a link to last time it was discussed

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

I think it had to to be finished but check out what Otis says in the link above

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments It's not finished, however at nearly 450K words I would certainly consider this novel-length. I have a personal opinion about including fanfic in the Goodreads listings but I will defer to Otis, of course. :)
Thanks for the info.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It doesn't need to be deleted. :)

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (kovaelin) | 3 comments It's not exactly canon though.

message 6: by Sandra (last edited Nov 09, 2011 01:18PM) (new)

Sandra  (myfictionnook) | 265 comments This is what Otis said in the thread referenced in #2:

My opinion is that if it's novel length it's fine to include. It can't hurt anything, and moresoever (is that a word?) I think one of our goals is to encourage new writers to find an audience - not discourage them. One day I hope to even allow aspiring authors who are writing their first book to have author profiles.

So, while the fanfic in question is neither complete, nor canon, I take from Otis' words that we should not delete it from Goodreads.

I personally think that a fanfic should be complete before it's added to GR because otherwise that opens a whole other can of worms, but that's me.