You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate Z (kgordon3) | 144 comments I love the swap idea - I just want to make sure everyone is aware of a great marketplace already in place called Paperbackswap.com They have a really well thought out system for mailing books which includes the printing of labels, etc. You can buy postage directly from the site or the site will calculate the cost of the postage for you and you can affix your own. In the case where books are over 13 oz (the most you can put in a regular mailbox) they have the mailing label all set so you CAN mail something over 13 oz without going to the post office.

I have posted and gotten a LOT of books from there - I really, really love it. The only catch is that the site is mainly for paperbacks so new releases that are still only out in hardback generally aren't on there. You can list hardbacks, no problem, but the way the site works is that you take care of mailing costs for anything that YOU mail out, requested by another member. Anything you request is free for you (the member who has the book pays to mail it). It works out really really easily and well. I got most of the books for my kids (Magic Treehouse, etc) that way - just by listing my old paperbacks.

message 2: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Judy, do we need to make our own topic for our books? Or just post them in this one? Or will there be a special site?

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison Forde | 269 comments Perhaps people could also give the loaction of the book and where they're willing to post to.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshe...

I'm in the US and I don't think I have anything worth shipping out-of-country. I register and then release (fifo) batches of books every week or two, so check back often (I'll try to post here every time I register a batch but I may forget.)

Some of my books really just need a good home, so I might ship gratis. Or if you're an avid bookcrosser, or a friend, or a geocacher, we can work something out besides a one-for-one swap.

Right now I'd like to see The Silent Gondoliers, by the author of The Princess Bride, go to an avid reader.

And I have a fair bit of SF, children's, and misc. on my BC AVL shelf, so off you go to browse!

message 5: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I'd have to sit this out seeing as I'm in Europe, the costs for people shipping to me would be unfair. But happy swapping, I hope you all get some fantastic books :-D

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Kat, you may not be the only person in Europe! In fact, this group was founded by a person in the UK. Is it affordable to ship within the Euro zone, or on the continent?

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) And folks, I just registered a whole 'nother batch. If you haven't been to bookcrossing.com to look at my AVL shelf yet, you need to find a couple of minutes to browse over there. Today was mostly mystery, thriller, and more children's, but some popular literature too.

One title that looked intriguing is 700 Sundays, a memoir and tribute to Billy Crystal's father.

I also registered a couple of rarer titles from Pearl S Buck and a very old Nancy Drew, if you're feeling nostalgic.

message 8: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48723 comments Bookcrossing.com looks interesting, Cheryl. Do you ever find out where your books have travelled?

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Not often enough, Janice, to be honest. Once in awhile we get a journal entry, and it's such a kick. But mainly it's more like giving them to a thrift store or to the Friends of the Library.

However, there are other ways to enjoy bookcrossing, for example by meeting other people who are doing it, and swapping and sharing books through the mail.

message 10: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments OOh I'm so glad we have a thread like this!

I have several books I wouldn't mind giving away.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Kimberly, do you have a list posted somewhere we could look at?

message 12: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Ah, I don't think anyone is in Asia. So, well...

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I wish I had a list, I moved in August so I still haven't unpacked but I do know that I have a copy of Night World, No. 1 Secret Vampire; Daughters of Darkness; Spellbinder (Night World,#1-3) by L.J. Smith and The Awakening and The Struggle (The Vampire Diaries, #1-2) by L.J. Smith and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro that are basically brand new that I'm trying to get rid of.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Pragya wrote: "Ah, I don't think anyone is in Asia. So, well..."

Prayga why don't you look at my books-i-own shelf and see if there's a book or two you would like, I don' mind sending them overseas.

message 15: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pragya wrote: "Ah, I don't think anyone is in Asia. So, well..."

Prayga why don't you look at my books-i-own shelf and see if there's a book or two you would like, I don' mind sending them overs..."

Oh, wow! That sounds great, Kimberly. Now I need to make a list of books I own, soon.

message 16: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Okay, Kimberly, you have too many good books. I can't decide. I like Morality for Beautiful Girls by Alexander McCall Smith , The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger , Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith , The Future Door by Jason Lethcoe , The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien , Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay , Moby-Dick by Herman Melville , Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier . Okay the list is endless. And I'm not looking anymore because then I'll have to rob your library.

message 17: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Since I read so many ebooks, I don't have many paperbacks. :( A few I have are listed in books-I-own. Will add more soon.

message 18: by Pragya (last edited Dec 16, 2011 02:09PM) (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pragya wrote: "Ah, I don't think anyone is in Asia. So, well..."

Prayga why don't you look at my books-i-own shelf and see if there's a book or two you would like, I don' mind sending them overs..."

I think if I have to choose two - I would choose The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (if they are meant for swapping).

message 19: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments I have Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer

message 20: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I haven't had a chance to finish the catcher in the rye or the book theif yet but when I do finish them I'd be happy to send them your way :)

message 21: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Judy wrote: "I think you will like The Book Thief, Pragya. It is well-done. He is a good writer."

I have it in ebook version, Judy. But somehow I was unable to read it. I think I want it in my hand. :)

message 22: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "I haven't had a chance to finish the catcher in the rye or the book theif yet but when I do finish them I'd be happy to send them your way :)"

Thanks so much. Sounds good. :)

message 23: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments No problem :)

I also noticed that you have Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro on your TBR shelf I have a copy if you'd like it :)

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Pragya wrote: "I have Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer"

Blood Wounds looks so good!

message 25: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pragya wrote: "I have Spoiled by Heather Cocks and Blood Wounds by Susan Beth Pfeffer"

Blood Wounds looks so good!"

Kimberly wrote: "No problem :)

I also noticed that you have Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro on your TBR shelf I have a copy if you'd like it :)"

Good! So we have at least one book each to swap shop! :)

message 26: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 02, 2012 11:15AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Great! Shall I PM you my address and you PM me yours?

message 27: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Great! Shqll I PM you my address and you PM me yours?"

I was wondering if I should add other books I own, may be you would want something else too. Postage is really expensive, so I would not be able to do this again. I will try to post the others by tomorrow.

message 28: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Sure no problem :)

message 29: by Cheryl is busier irl atm. (last edited Jan 02, 2012 11:10AM) (new)

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I've an ARC of The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. Good book. I will send it gratis to anyone in the US who promises to make a journal entry at bookcrossing.com.

(You don't have to be a member there to do so; it's just a way of letting me follow the book's journey.)

Note: This would be a good read for the 'Globetrotting' monthly theme!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I've an ARC of The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. Good book. I will send it gratis to anyone in the US who promises to make a journal entry at bookcrossing.com. ..."

I would like to have this book if it is still available...I promise to make a journal entry at bookcrossing if you just guide/lead me of what I am to do : ) lol as I have not been there.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48723 comments Cheryl in CC NV wrote: "I've an ARC of The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar. Good book. I will send it gratis to anyone in the US who promises to make a journal entry at bookcrossing.com. ..."

I'm entered in the giveaway for that. It ends tomorrow.

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) Robin, send me a PM with your snail address. The label I put in the book should give you enough help to go to bookcrossing.com and make the journal entry, but if you have trouble after you get it, just PM me again. :)

Janice, they must have run two giveaways. That's how I got my ARC, too.

message 33: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 12, 2012 08:37AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments So right now I have these to swap. They aren't brand new and I purchased them all at used book stores so a corner may have been bent and the spine may be slightly cracked: But they're in good shape.
The Mermaid of Paris by Cary Fagan , I Know This Much is True  by Wally Lamb , In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick

message 34: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "So right now I have these to swap. They aren't brand new and I purchased them all at used book stores so a corner may have been bent and the spine may be slightly cracked: But they're in good shape..."

Ooh Ulysses!!

message 35: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Pragya back to textbooks!! :-( wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "So right now I have these to swap. They aren't brand new and I purchased them all at used book stores so a corner may have been bent and the spine may be slightly cracked: But they..."

It's yours!

message 36: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "Pragya back to textbooks!! :-( wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "So right now I have these to swap. They aren't brand new and I purchased them all at used book stores so a corner may have been bent and th..."

:D Thanks!!

message 37: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments You're welcome to them Judy :D

message 38: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 12, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I'm also getting rid of: Exit to Eden by Anne Rampling and A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway (this one is a little more beat up)
The Meat Eaters by Michael Collins and my extra copy of The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 40: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Kat's Swap Shop - Part 1 of, well, a lot!

For me, this is not really a swap shop - I have a lot of books that won't be making the move back to Australia with me, and I'd rather give them to people I know would love them, rather than leave them in a charity shop.

These are just the books sitting on my coffee table that need a nice new home!

Beach Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones - has one spine 'wrinkle' but otherwise excellent condition.

Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin - not even a spine wrinkle! And I loved this book!

Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum - no wrinkles here!

The Children's House of Belsen by Hetty Verolme - no botox required!

Hotel Babylon - does need botox but otherwise good condition.

I'm a bookmark user! :-D

message 41: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments I also need a home for Up at the Villa by W. Somerset Maugham (Older copy but in good shape)

message 42: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments OOohhh Kat I'm kinda interested in The Children's House of Belsen and Those Who Save Us

message 43: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments Kimberly wrote: "OOohhh Kat I'm kinda interested in The Children's House of Belsen and Those Who Save Us"

I loved both of these books - I'll do some more shelf crawling tomorrow - I've got a lot of WWII/Holocaust fiction books hiding in the three-deep shelves!

message 44: by Kat (new)

Kat (katzombie) | 2478 comments I just found a 'never opened' copy of The Thorn Birds 2005 edition too - with a AUD 21.99 sticker!

Must stock up on first-aid/water/emergency food kit for tomorrow!

message 45: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments Kat wrote: "I just found a 'never opened' copy of The Thorn Birds 2005 edition too - with a AUD 21.99 sticker!

Must stock up on first-aid/water/emergency food kit for tomorrow!"

...I really need to read that book, I've heard so many good things about that one.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) Kimberly wrote: "Kat wrote: "I just found a 'never opened' copy of The Thorn Birds 2005 edition too - with a AUD 21.99 sticker!

Must stock up on first-aid/water/emergency food kit for tomorrow!"

......"

I started that book sometime in the early part of last year, laid it down and haven't seen it since lol maybe i should look for it : )

message 47: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 2033 comments It would work for the challenge you have Robin :)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) LOL yes you are right it would : ) I will go digging for it tomorrow and see if it turns up some where lol

message 49: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments MMM... Kat if this is just part 1, I'm already drooling. Elsewhere and Hotel Babylon look really good. :)

message 50: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3534 comments Kimberly wrote: "I also need a home for Up at the Villa by W. Somerset Maugham (Older copy but in good shape)"

Ooh I would love that but since I don't have books to swap, I would back out real slowly (unless I end up snatching it from you). ;)

« previous 1