.:.Book Bodega.:. discussion

Confessional: Which books have made you lose it in public?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sammee (new)

Sammee (chasing_sammee) | 379 comments Mod
I know I can’t be the only person who’s reacted this way to literature. In fact, I’ve seen fellow New Yorkers make the same mistake of reading an extremely funny or terribly sad book in public settings before. So it’s time to confess: Which book made you completely lose it in public? Did you read a tearjerker on a crowded bus or read a hilarious piece of comedy in a painfully quiet library? Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. So just find a quiet place, reflect on your own public-reading faux pas and share in the comments section below.

message 2: by Sammee (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:18AM) (new)

Sammee (chasing_sammee) | 379 comments Mod
I was in tears, side hurting kind of laughter on the F train reading Are You There Vodka It's Me Chelsea & I cried sad tears One Day, happy tears Water For Elephants & a combo of both for The Help, The Time Traveler's Wife & Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I love a book that can pull real emotion to the surface, spilling out on all sides

message 3: by Lilybeth (new)

Lilybeth (_li_) | 335 comments Mod
Book that made me cry so deeply I had to talk to myself and remind myself it's just a book: The Time Traveler's Wife

Book that made me cry in my cubicle at work. The kind of cry that's silent but the tears keep falling: Where She Went

Book that made me cry tears of happiness because I felt inspired and empowered: The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother

Book that, although I didn't cry, made me extremely sad to read just because it was the end yet extremely happy because it was an incredibly written end: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

message 4: by Abby (new)

Abby (atanori512) | 86 comments I remember reading for the umptenth time "The Last Battle" (the final book in the Chronicles of Narnia series) in the F train on my way to work and I always cry at the end, it's just such a beautiful ending.

Also I read New Moon when I was at a friends house and bawled when Edward broke up with Bella.... I was a mess.

I was reading One Day in front of Bryan and cried like a mess when she died, he's so used to seeing me react to books though... lol

There are so many... you just can't help but dive into a book so deeply that is so well written.

message 5: by Kai Hunter (new)

Kai Hunter | 192 comments Funny that I happened upon this topic tonight. This morning I'm at the gym riding the stationary bike and reading Sneaky Pie for President: A Novel which I never would have thought would get me, but there is a chapter about a much loved horse dieing of old age and I'm sitting there bawling as I pedal. I think I'm going to need to check on my happy pill dosage.

message 6: by Mia (new)

Mia (miapea) | 359 comments Deathly Hallows and Time Traveler's Wife.

message 7: by Sarah (last edited Feb 21, 2013 03:53PM) (new)

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments Love Story. Screamed out the F word before Sharon Glickman Esquire's class when I found out a character died. Glicky reprimanded me for 20 minutes and then went off into a tangent. Our magnet class was pleased because we had to postpone the mock trial for the next day.

Still one of my all time favorite books. Love Story by Erich Segal

message 8: by Lilybeth (new)

Lilybeth (_li_) | 335 comments Mod
Glickman was so ridiculous. LOL!

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (thesarah) | 86 comments I can still see her screaming! :D