European Royalty discussion

History Discussions > General History Discussions

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Feel free to discussion anything related to general history under this topic (doesn't have to be in this thread - this thread is only starred so the topic stays up on the groups home page).

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary | 26 comments My niece pointed me in the direction of this article. As a pro-Richard III fan I find this very exciting! http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/01/world/e...

message 3: by Ladyhawk (new)

Ladyhawk | 14 comments Just read a headline in the morning news. Thanks for the link! Fun read!

message 4: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Mary wrote: "My niece pointed me in the direction of this article. As a pro-Richard III fan I find this very exciting! http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/01/world/e......"

What got you hooked on Richard III?

message 5: by Debra (last edited Jul 31, 2013 03:32PM) (new)

Debra Brown (debrabrown) | 10 comments May I comment here on the picture at the top of this group's homepage- such an interesting picture, as I have learned from a future post by Judith Arnopp on my English Historical Fiction Authors blog.

It is, of course, Henry VIII with his only son, Edward, and throwing a wrench in the works, Edward's mother, Henry's favorite wife, Jane Seymour, who actually died a decade earlier after their son's birth.

To the far right is Henry's beloved court fool, Will Somers. To the far left is Princess Mary's fool, Jane. That they are in this picture points to their importance in the royal scene. Of course, the other women are Princess Mary and Princess Elizabeth.

I don't know if you have discussed this painting in the past, but I just learned about it recently in previewing future posts. You may want to read Judith's post on Sept. 17, 2013 at http://englishhistoryauthors.blogspot....

message 6: by Mary (last edited Jul 31, 2013 04:52PM) (new)

Mary | 26 comments What got you hooked on Richard III

A lifelong interest in English History for one. I hold a MBA in Medieval English History, specializing in the Wars of the Roses, in which, of course Richard played a large part. I found the family interactions fascinating and the effects this had on the English world. I have long since come to the conclusion that Richard was not responsible for the deaths of the Princes. Not that he wasn't capable of it, most of the nobility of the period were, but he seems to have had a higher moral ethic than most of his peers and he appears to have genuinely loved his brother, Edward. But it's a subject I can discuss endlessly, so I will stop now!

message 7: by Whimsical (new)

Whimsical (goodreadscomb_flowers) | 55 comments More information on Richard III:
http://www.royalcentral.co.uk/royalhi...

message 8: by KOMET (new)

KOMET | 71 comments For any members keen on learning all things about Tudor England, here's a book worth checking out ---

Blackamoores: Africans in Tudor England, Their Presence, Status and Origins by Onyeka

Blackamoores Africans in Tudor England, Their Presence, Status and Origins by Onyeka

ISBN: 978-0953318216

message 9: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) KOMET wrote: "For any members keen on learning all things about Tudor England, here's a book worth checking out ---

Blackamoores: Africans in Tudor England, Their Presence, Status and Origins by..."

I actually was interested in reading that book. It's not available via Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Do you know of where a copy is available?

message 10: by KOMET (last edited May 27, 2014 07:25AM) (new)

KOMET | 71 comments Angelica- Woman of Many Dogs wrote:

I actually was interested in reading that book. It's not available via Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Do you know of where a copy is available?

[book:Blackamoores: Africans in Tudor England, Their Presence, Status and Origin..."

++++++++++++++
Hi Angelica,

I just checked with Amazon.co.uk and a copy is available there.

message 11: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) KOMET wrote: "Angelica- Woman of Many Dogs wrote:

[book:Blackamoore..."

Hey Komet,

I actually checked Amazon.co.uk and I saw the copy. The seller's lower rating is what's holding me off. I think I may actually just buy it from the publisher. It's a shame it's not more readily available in the US.

http://www.narrative-eye.org.uk/newbo...

message 12: by Tom (new)

Tom Maentz | 2 comments For history buffs curious about 20th century Spain's remarkable transformation from dictatorship to democracy, and the Spanish Royal Family's epic struggle to regain the throne: The Reign in Spain is now available in paperback at Amazon. Reviews are stellar!

The Reign in Spain: Fall & Rise of the Spanish Monarchy