The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Television/Movie Mysteries > Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I watched Certain Prey, the TV adaptation of the John Sanford novel, with Mark Harmon as Lucas Davenport. I thought it was pretty good but I haven't read all the novels so I did not have much to compare it to. It did seem to me that Harmon was channeling a little "Gibbs" from NCIS but that may simply be because he is so identified with that role.

message 2: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35305 comments When and where was this on? How did this one sneak past me?

Although I don't really see Mark Harmon as Lucas.

message 3: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
While I was looking for the network information (USA, Sunday 11/6) I found this very good review in the NYT.

http://tv.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/arts...

message 4: by T (last edited Nov 09, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments I didn't realize a movie had been made....Mark Harmon for me will forever be the UCLA quarterback and brother-in-law to Ricky Nelson....

Oh wait. And he was in St Elsewhere, wasn't he?

message 5: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35305 comments Yes on St Elsewhere. Another thing I remember him for was that he was trying to get his sister (Angie) I think because she was a drug addict. I guuess (if it was her) she got over the drug problem.

message 6: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Um, the one married to Ricky Nelson ws Kristin I think.

Seems like there was a niece or two in acting...I think Angie is unrelated.

Oh wait...Nephews, in a band...perhaps twins....

message 7: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35305 comments I don't remember how many sisters he had. I thought they were both Tom Harmon's kids. I thought there were 4-5 of them. I could be wrong. I know I could have googled this but I am supposed to be working.

I had computer troubles this morning. I couldn't find a drive but my IT people told me how. Good thing I've got peeps.

message 8: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Jan, you will always have peeps - particularly at Halloween and Easter and um....maybe Christmas.... :-)

Yah, I could google or wiki him, but I'm supposed to be hurriedly washing Mom's stuff and putting her bed back together....

message 9: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35305 comments OK, I looked him up at imdb. Not related to Angie and it was Kristin that he and wife Pam Dawber were suing for young Sam.

I can admit when I am wrong. But not very often.

message 10: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments I wiki'd him...Wow...there were a lot of them...And Chicago Hope was another series....And a niece actress (I wanted to say Square Pegs....)....

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35305 comments She was on that show with Tom Bosley where she played a nun and he was a priest-detective in Chicago. Father Dowling Mysteries? She had some deathly disease then, too. Tracy Nelson?

message 12: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Yep, Tracy....Gramma (Elyse) must've been proud to have spawned so many actors!

message 13: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Donna, you got that right. I felt the same way as you did about Certain Prey. Enjoyed it, but kept seeing Gibbs. I do like NCIS and always watch it. Maybe that was what was wrong!!!!!!!!!!

message 14: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Comley (melcom) | 52 comments I'll have to watch out for this, I love the Gibbs character in NCIS. He's improving with age too! ;-)

message 15: by Jared (new)

Jared Shoop | 2 comments Harmon didn't do a bad job as Davenport. i could've went without him dancing. He was a better fit than Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher.

message 16: by Ezra (new)

Ezra Sidran (EzraTheTheoryOfGamescom) | 16 comments I have a little story to contribute about the 'Prey' series. John Sandford's son (if I'm not mistaken) was a fan of my computer wargames and I live in Davenport, Iowa.

Somewhere I have an email from John Sandford telling me this. He also mentioned that he was going to name some other characters after local cities (like Milan, and Geneseo).

- Ezra Sidran
http://TheTheoryOfGames.com

message 17: by John (last edited Apr 25, 2012 08:29PM) (new)

John Karr (karr) | 122 comments Didn't see the tv Prey movie. Don't really see Harmon as Davenport. Imagined someone bigger and more in touch with his anger. Still, for tv I'm sure Harmon did ok.