Terminalcoffee discussion

Politics / Business / Economics > The Herman Cain sexual harassment thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Innocent politician getting attacked because he's high in the polls and a threat, or asshole who deserves what he's getting from his detractors? Go!

message 2: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I just don't know. I don't trust him, he talks about himself in the third person too much and the statements he's making to defend himself are weird and very scripted, but having harassment charges surface 14 years after the fact, just when he's ahead, is a little too convenient. It's kind of like the Julian Assange accusations; I don't know who to believe because the timing is suspect. And the Cain accuser choosing an attorney like Gloria Allred screams "look at me."

message 3: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Asshole politician whose soul has been hijacked by the power of genitalia.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael In the beginning I thought it was the first but now there's just too much smoke to not believe there's a fire so now I go with the second. Yesterday, when I heard him blame it on the "Democratic machine" I quit caring about him. If he's not sane enough to realize that Democrats don't vote in the Republican primary then I have no interest in this dog and pony show or anything he has to say beyond his kooky tax plan and will wait until the Republicans go back to talking about issues.

message 5: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I think you'll be waiting a long time for that Michael (and I'm not Republican-bashing, that goes for the Democrats too!)

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Asshole.

Word didn't come out for 14 years? There are two excellent reasons for that.

1. Non-disclosure agreements and settlement payouts.

2. Those who didn't sue/settle had no reason to -- Mr. Cain was not, until now, seeking a position of trust and power.

message 7: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) A CEO on CNBC this morning made a good point. He said that organizations that pay settlements for harassment charges would not do so if there was not a fairly strong case. If an organization starts paying settlements, they risk being labeled as having a pattern of abuse, and getting into even more legal trouble with the labor regulators.

Even though the terms of a settlement ALWAYS include verbiage about no admission of guilt, the fact that there is more than one speaks volumes.

I've come to the conclusion that Herman Cain is a pig.

message 8: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Nov 09, 2011 01:36PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Phil wrote: "Asshole.

2. Those who didn't sue/settle had no reason to -- M..."

Good point Phil. I had forgotten about the NDAs. I really should pay more attention before talking about issues I'm only passably familiar with.

message 9: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Nov 09, 2011 04:56PM) (new)

Lobstergirl | 24105 comments Mod
Clark wrote: "Asshole politician whose soul has been hijacked by the power of genitalia."

I think this is about right.

I'm still amazed it took us this long to get a Herman Cain sexual harassment thread. I resisted.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Phil wrote: "Asshole.

2. Those who didn't sue/settle had no reason to -- M..."

Phil is right.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

RandomAnthony wrote: "Innocent politician getting attacked because he's high in the polls and a threat, or asshole who deserves what he's getting from his detractors? Go!"

This did happen because he was high in the polls. Some anti-Cain Republican operative, I don't know if they're attached to another campaign or not, found out about the 14-year old settlements and went to Politico. They wouldn't have bothered if he was at 1 or 2%. Someone wanted to put a dent in his numbers.

It has nothing to do with the "Democrat [sic] machine." Dems would love nothing more than to have Obama go up against Cain. Obama would slaughter Cain.

He's also an asshole who is getting what he deserves.

message 12: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments He seems like an asshole to me. First, he was blaming the democrats, now he's blaming Rick Perry. He seems like he has a conspiracy for everything. One of the women does seem a bit suspicious, she made a similar claim at her next company, but I don't know enough to discount her claim just yet. There are what, 5 women making claims against him? Also, there are men that were present that are backing up the women's claims, so I'm going to go with he's an asshole.

message 13: by smetchie (last edited Nov 09, 2011 06:38PM) (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Michael wrote: "In the beginning I thought it was the first but now there's just too much smoke to not believe there's a fire so now I go with the second. Yesterday, when I heard him blame it on the "Democratic machine" I quit caring about him. If he's not sane enough to realize that Democrats don't vote in the Republican primary then I have no interest in this dog and pony show or anything he has to say beyond his kooky tax plan and will wait until the Republicans go back to talking about issues. ..."

Doesn't it depend on the state? I think we can all vote in VA, regardless of party. Am I making that up?

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I'm finding it weird that the wife is so clueless. Most wives have a clue at least, when their husbands are either catting around, or have that sexual harassment gene. When a man is vastly different around other women than he is around his wife, I smell a sociopath.

Of course, there's the possibility she isn't clueless. But he's claiming she's shocked by the allegations.

message 15: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I'm finding it weird that the wife is so clueless. Most wives have a clue at least, when their husbands are either catting around, or have that sexual harassment gene. When a man is vastly differ..."

But those are his claims. I want to hear what she has to say. Not from him. I want to hear it come from her mouth.

message 16: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I don't think she would say anything revelatory. Don't you think their stories would match?

message 17: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I don't think she would say anything revelatory. Don't you think their stories would match?"

Yes, but I would like to see her body language. You can't fake that.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I don't know about faking (surely some people can fake it) but it's not like body "language" is announcing the facts in plain English. Someone might be incredibly tense and nervous which might make some people think they're lying, but they might just be tense and nervous. Shifty eyes can mean different things.

message 19: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments What does it mean when the wife gets to the podium, turns and slaps the husband as hard as she can?

That's the body language I'd love to see at one of these, "I cheated on my wife and now I'm sorry I got caught" press conferences.

message 20: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments In my opinion, her not saying anything seems like she's okay with it. Obviously I don't know that for sure. But her silence is a little off-putting.

message 21: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I've heard several people say that if you're a woman sitting next to a man in a car, and the man puts his hand under your skirt and tries to bring your head down into his crotch, a normal woman would immediately call the police.

Really?

In all the half-assed discussion of this (I've listened to some on the radio), only one person has said, "Yes, that is absolutely assault." That person was a former Cook County state's attorney who knows what he's talking about. A lot of people don't actually know that that is assault. So why should we assume that a normal woman would recognize it as assault and call 911?

I think it's much, much more likely that most women would think that's a really hideous, awful pass. You've just been out to dinner with this man; you thought it was a job interview, or job networking, but he thought it was more. He thought it was a date.

I'm not saying women should not view this as assault, just that I get why women don't.

And when you call 911 and the police arrive, it's still he-said-she-said. You have no visible marks on you. No bruises. His hand didn't tear your pantyhose or whatever. So you've made a criminal complaint that most likely is not going to go anywhere.

message 22: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I've heard several people say that if you're a woman sitting next to a man in a car, and the man puts his hand under your skirt and tries to bring your head down into his crotch, a normal woman wou..."

Exactly. And in that case, I wouldn't be surprised if the police would side with the man.

message 23: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

So you've made a criminal complaint that most likely is not going to go anywhere.

And then Herman Cain will be able to say years later that your criminal complaint was "found to be baseless."

message 24: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

message 25: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Clark wrote: "Asshole politician whose soul has been hijacked by the power of genitalia."

I think this is about right.

I'm still amazed it took us this long to get a Herman Cain sexual harassment..."

Although now that I think of it, "asshole politician" is redundant.

message 26: by Cheri (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:11AM) (new)

Cheri | 795 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I've heard several people say that if you're a woman sitting next to a man in a car, and the man puts his hand under your skirt and tries to bring your head down into his crotch, a normal woman wou..." And her chances of getting a job is now zero. No one would hire a 'trouble maker' that doesn't have a 'sense of humor' that screams sexual harressment anytime someone tries to 'help' her. That's not being a team player and it was 'just a joke'. Heck! He was giving her a job! Ha Ha. I was in that situation for years until I couldn't stand hearing one more time that to work here, you gotta learn to play with the big boys. The only time the bullying stops is when you get old, fat or ugly, then you get replaced by a newer model. Maybe it is different now - more sutble- but 10 years ago it was still accepted and encouraged by the good ol'boys. This is bullying in the marketplace.

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments And of course Herman Cain on Herman Cain:
http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/201...

"For every person who says I harassed them, there are thousands who say I didn't."

For every person who has seen me shower, there are thousands who haven't. That doesn't mean I don't shower.

A shoplifter could not get away with arguing "Sure, there are five witnesses, but there were hundreds of people in the store who can say they didn't see me steal anything."

Stupid, stupid argument.

message 28: by Cheri (new)

Cheri | 795 comments He also said, "I have always seen situations where women have sexually - attempted to sexually harass men. It's very serious". Now we know what the real problem is.

message 29: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

He's not very bright.

message 30: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Rush Limbaugh continued his rhetorical attacks Thursday, against the women who have accused Herman Cain of sexual harassment — with some more good old-fashioned misogyny.

Limbaugh commented on the effort by accuser Karen Kraushaar, to put together a joint press conference of the women involved.

“I did ask yesterday, what’s the big deal with the panel here?” Limbaugh said. “Do they want to synchronize their menstrual periods? Why appear together? What, does it give added weight?”

message 31: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Republican voters love them some sexual harassment.

Cain has raised $9 million in six weeks

THE FIX | The embattled candidate is currently on pace for about $20 million raised, which would beat even the best quarterly totals turned in by Mitt Romney and Rick Perry

message 32: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments So, guy accused of sexual harassment by multiple women makes an Anita Hill joke. Herman Cain: winner of the Dumbfuck Asshole of the Year award.

message 33: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/1...

He's done. I agree, Amber.

message 34: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I want him to get the nomination. Obama will beat him handily.

message 35: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Félix wrote: "I want him to get the nomination. Obama will beat him handily."

I wish he would beat him literally.

message 36: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) On Jerry Springer?

message 37: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Félix wrote: "On Jerry Springer?"

Or Maury. Whichever has a bigger audience.

message 38: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Very cool idea.

message 39: by Arminius (last edited Nov 12, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Animals hunt to eat. People hunt for fun.
I am waiting to see how this turns out. Ms. Baileck does not seem very credible to me.

For example:

Fiance of Sharon Bialek says he is supporting her but did not find out until Friday

She filed for bankruptcy twice

She accused former boyfriend of harassing her to pay a loan

Her Father did not find out about allegations until last Monday

She lived in the same building as a top Obama aid

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...

message 40: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Arminius wrote: "Animals hunt to eat. People hunt for fun.
I am waiting to see how this turns out. Ms. Baileck does not seem very credible to me."

How credible do you find the ones that were paid off? Tens of thousands of dollars speak loudly to me.

message 41: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lots of women get sexually harassed. They ain't all perfect citizens. Guess what: sometimes prostitutes get raped! All those things you list about Sharon Bialek may suggest she isn't the most responsible person in the world, but they don't undercut her credibility about a sexual harassment claim.

On the last one, she lived in a building called Lake Point Towers in Chicago. David Axelrod lived (I don't know if he still lives there) in the same building. It's a 5,000 unit building. At the time it was built, it was the largest residential building in the world. A lot of people live in it. People flogging that factoid need to figure out a new factoid to flog because Democrats are not behind Cain sexual harassment charges. Democrats would love nothing more than for Cain to win the nomination.

message 42: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments She tried the same thing before with a former boyfriend.

And some (and I mean some) Democrats can't stand to see an African American Republican have success in politics.

message 43: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Arminius wrote: "She tried the same thing before with a former boyfriend. "

Evidence? Link?

message 45: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Okay. She didn't accuse a former boyfriend of sexual harassment, which is what I thought you meant.

She is also said to have accused a former boyfriend of harassing her for money he had loaned her after she borrowed $4,500 from him.

message 46: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Arminius, there are probably more Republians who don't want Cain in the race, but you don't see me accusing them of complicity!

message 47: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments Arminius wrote: "And some (and I mean some) Democrats can't stand to see an African American Republican have success in politics."

Source?

message 48: by Jammies (last edited Nov 14, 2011 08:36AM) (new)

Jammies Phil wrote: "Arminius wrote: "And some (and I mean some) Democrats can't stand to see an African American Republican have success in politics."

Source?"

Arminius's left ear -->( Arminius's source )<--Arminius's right ear

message 49: by Arminius (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Jammies wrote: "Phil wrote: "Arminius wrote: "And some (and I mean some) Democrats can't stand to see an African American Republican have success in politics."

Source?"

LOL.

Arminius's left ear -->( Arminius'..."

message 50: by Arminius (last edited Nov 14, 2011 11:18AM) (new)

Arminius | 1037 comments Jammies wrote: "Arminius, there are probably more Republians who don't want Cain in the race, but you don't see me accusing them of complicity!"

True, however most do not veiw him as a traitor or an Uncle Tom.

« previous 1