SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

The Peace Garden: a political mystery crime thriller with a dash of romance
This topic is about The Peace Garden
Retired Topics > The Peace Garden - new novel set in SA

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello, I'm new to this group so unsure of the etiquette. If it's considered poor form to post a link to one of my own books, please let me know as I don't want to offend. But assuming it is, until I hear otherwise, I have written a romantic thriller set partly in England and partly in South Africa.

When Natalie Porter starts investigating plant theft in a suburban cul-de-sac, she never dreams it will lead her on a terrifying journey from the gardens of England to the townships of Apartheid South Africa; and a far darker secret than the whereabouts of a missing azalea.

"A romantic thriller doused in political intrigue, racial tension, international terrorism and … gardening. If you like your romances quirky and your thrillers intelligent, then you won’t be able to put down The Peace Garden until the last breathtaking page."

"This is a great story, with a compulsively page-turning conclusion, which also gives the reader an inside look at many of the conflicting issues of racial prejudice in its most notorious institutional expression - apartheid South Africa." - Steve Pillinger, reviewer

"There’s much to enjoy in Fiona Veitch Smith’s debut adult novel, The Peace Garden, where the hopes and fears of modern South Africa disrupt the
neatly-ordered flowerbeds of suburban Newcastle." - RS Downie, NY Times best-selling author of Ruso novels.

The Peace Garden is available on e-book. Hope you enjoy it!

All the best
Fiona

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Peace-Gar...

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith Hi Fiona

Our group doesn't have any specific etiquette guidelines, but it is generally considered discourteous to use message boards and other discussion spaces for self-promotion, unless those spaces have been designated for that purpose. It's particularly rude if you never actually participate in group discussions.

We do like to hear from indie authors, but we ask that you restrict your marketing to the following threads:

Main promotion thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...
You can also use this one: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/2...

Review requests: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

If you are giving away a copy of your book: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the clarification and guidance Lauren, I appreciate it. I do certainly intend to participate in discussions. I tried to contribute to a number of discussions on another group on Goodreads as a simple reader (will not name it here) but never actually got any replies. So thanks for actually replying.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

And by the way, before posting here, I did introduce myself using the South African acronym but my post doesn't seem to be there. Must have done something wrong ...

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith No problem Fiona :) We have a small but friendly group of active members, so while you might not get a reply to every post, there are always a few of us reading anyway. We also have a reading challenge addiction, and you're welcome to join in any time you like.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Lauren.

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Hey Fiona, your post where you introduce yourself is there. I read it and it gave me the shivers because I hate spiders and would hate to have I don't know how many crawling around my bathroom after they just hatched. But since I live in the Netherlands I don't think that is something I need to be afraid of.
And like Lauren said we reply to almost everything so don't worry we will talk your head off.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Barbara, is it really there? Must be a problem with my browser. Fortunately, I'm not scared of spiders but an entire nest of them needs to be dealt with! I used to have a 'pet' babboon spider called Merv. I say 'pet' because he just pitched up one day in my house - I literally heard him thud as he landed on the floorboards. We had an uneasy truce - he kept to his side of the room, I kept to mine.

The Netherlands is a beautiful country. I used to regularly visit a friend in Assen in the north. Used to get the ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam.

Great to be in touch,

Fiona

message 9: by Barbara (last edited Nov 10, 2011 01:56AM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod
Yeah it is, how else would I know about the spiders?
I looked on the internet to see what a baboon spider looks like and I must say you are a brave woman, braver than me anyway. I had a pet iguana like creature, not to sure what it was that came to me that way. I was living in Mexico for six months and one day when I came home he was on my wall and stayed there for the remainder of the time and ate all the insects for me. I even moved him a couple of times to direct him so some tasty insects which he then happily ate for me. His name was Juan. I was sad when I returned back home to the Netherlands and I had to leave him behind.

Oh yeah, I love the Netherlands. Ok I am biased because it is my home and I was born here but I love it. Assen is great. I go there regularly because they have a great museum with great temporary exhibitions. I myself live in Haarlem that is between Amsterdam and the coast.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I've driven through Haarlem, but never stopped :) Poor old Juan. Wonder if someone else adopted him after you left. Merv was the one who walked out on me. And I also allowed him to stay to eat insects. The best mosquito deterrent I ever had!