Authors Lounge discussion

Discussions > You know what really annoys me!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments Wow, Shane, that seems like a pretty mean welcome and some rough treatment. I have to admit that I'm pretty new to Goodreads and so far everyone has seemed pretty friendly and helpful.

It does seem that if you are an author promoting any book, people might want to jump to the conclusion you are somehow in disguise to promote your own. It seems like an awful lot of trouble to me, but I guess there are some people that would go to that extreme to attempt to generate interest in their own books.

message 2: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 10 comments Carroll wrote: "I try to only be a member of groups who are author friendly and have topics for authors to post their work and such. So far, nobody has treated me like Shane has been treated. With the lone excepti..."

I had that happen with a few bloggers. I sent out roughly 30 copies to various bloggers and only about 15 of them actually provided a review. :(
I try not to mention that I am an author. I have noticed that people can be... irritable if they think you're going to be one of those authors who pushes their own book. Thus, I almost never mention it. :(

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) We are all on Goodreads for the reason of loving books, people are just jealous that you have achieved something that they have not. JD you should mention that you are an author and be proud of that fact. We should all be proud, those bad eggs are just that, bad and jealous. :)

message 4: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments I'm very proud being an author, but I know that there are those authors that do seem to beat people over the heads about it. I can't blame readers for not wanting a book crammed down their throats.

So, I guess we all just walk a fine line in sharing our joy at writing, but respecting that readers don't need us telling them that we've written something every time we post.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) I have a hunch I know what group you are both talking about. I belonged to that group a while ago, until they decided to pick out one person (an authour) and slate them down and their book. I found the "children" in that group quite rude and if they didn't write it, they would certainly not like it. Sorry, now I sound like them!

message 6: by Doc (new)

Doc (doc_coleman) | 55 comments It seems to me that it is a good practice as an author that when you recommend your own work to a group that you put in a disclaimer that you are the author so that people can take the recommendation with a grain of salt.

It would also seem to be prudent to also recommend someone else's work at the same time, in case folks mistrusted your motives.

Then again, some groups will actively look for something to complain about...

Doc

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I have been a dog groomer for over 17 years and one thing I learned is that I am not going to please all my customers. This will fall in the literay world too. My book The Unfaithful Widow is due out in April 2012 and I know I will have many fans but I also know that there will be ppl that won't like it. You have to be tough and not take it personally. It will only make us grow stronger as a person. Sit back and enjoy your great accomplishments, cause we are only here for a short while....so smile!!!!!

message 8: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 10 comments Sharon wrote: "We are all on Goodreads for the reason of loving books, people are just jealous that you have achieved something that they have not. JD you should mention that you are an author and be proud of th..."

I am proud that I am an author, but I am wary of mentioning it anywhere. I want people to pick up my book because they think its interesting and they like me. The horrible reactions that authors have gotten when they mention their books has me squeamish. I'm very open about my books with groups that I moderate, but otherwise... I try not to bring it up. I guess, while I am an author and proud of it, and while I respect all the other authors out there... I feel like mentioning it all the time is somewhat limiting myself. I'm a well rounded person and writing is my passion. There is a lot more to me and if people send out the signal that they want to know me, I open up. Otherwise, I'm fairly shy about it all. I didn't even tell my friends and family I was publishing my book until one month before. lol I'm just too shy, I guess....

message 9: by Agent (new)

Agent S.D. | 151 comments Mod
... Was Shane's account just deleted again?

message 10: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 10 comments Sarah wrote: "... Was Shane's account just deleted again?"

I'm guessing so since his post is no longer there. I don't think GR should be able to delete members without a really great reason. I mean, currently for authors they have the program where if 3 people complain you are automatically removed, which to me is wrong. What if those 3 people are crab-asses, who just don't like you?

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim Galford (jgalford) | 16 comments Dare I ask what group Shane had the troubles with? Since the original post is gone, I don't see it referenced in the replies...

message 12: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 10 comments Jim wrote: "Dare I ask what group Shane had the troubles with? Since the original post is gone, I don't see it referenced in the replies..."

lol I have no idea.

message 13: by Bill (new)

Bill Talcott (billtalcott) | 17 comments Being an Indie writer and a self publisher requires you to push your stuff. I too have been made to feel like some country bumkin car salesman because I mention my book in a crowd I feel might be interested. On the other hand there are groups that welcome your posts and news about your work. It just depends on whose door you are knocking on.

I would almost bet that Shane stepped into the Kindle group. I have actually had the group send me an e-mail requesting that I do not beat them over the head with my book. I truthfully have never discussed my book while in that group. I'm not saying anything bad about the people in that group, it's just that they have their ways in there and if that is how they want things in there, then so be it.

message 14: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 10 comments There are also a few groups who get that way towards moderators of other groups. About two years ago, I belonged to a group for about six months and I mentioned my group. The moved me into this stupid folder that they had, where they make fun of people. It reminded me of bullies and they honestly enjoyed it. I remember being shocked that they would do that to a member for mentioning on thing. I could understand getting upset about spammers, but just because you mention something one time... it does not mean you are a spammer. It means you are being informative and proud of your accomplishments. I have to say that is one thing about GR than needs working on. I have a group and to avoid members acting that way, I keep separate folders for Authors, Book Giveaways, and Promotional Discussions. That way people don't need to be afraid to post about their group or books, but the threads are in separate folders so that members don't get upset about it. Most of my members do end up looking in the threads and they are the ones who are completely fine with authors, etc. (sigh) I wish more groups did that.

message 15: by R.P. (new)

R.P. Dahlke (rpdahlke) | 43 comments can't mention your book to a GR group? GR groups make their own rules for participation. Some allow BSP as long as the member also reviews and shares what they're reading. I ALWAYS read the rules before dipping my toe in the water because those moderators can be scary! Nothing so painful as having an irate moderator bite your toe off! GR Groups who allow BSP: All Mystery News is one, Kindle and BookWorm Bitches gave me a folder of my own for a book give away because I asked nicely.

message 16: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments Jim wrote: "Dare I ask what group Shane had the troubles with? Since the original post is gone, I don't see it referenced in the replies..."

I'm not sure I remember exactly what Shane's issue was, but I do remember it had something to do with a fight he had with a group's moderators.

I've been very lucky that the groups I've participated in so far have been nothing but friendly and fun. No one seems to get too bent out of shape over things. However, since I've heard all the troubles others have had, I've been as careful as possible about following the rules in order to avoid stepping on any toes.