Axis Mundi X discussion

Afghanistan

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I just finished watching a fantastic Frontline documentary on the current situation in Afghanistan, and by proximity, Pakistan. I hope Barack Obama is very very serious about his agenda to focus heightened efforts and resources on the situation there as soon as possible. Pakistan is in danger of becoming a failed state with 30 nuclear warheads in it's arsenals. Where do you think the Taliban would point those nuclear warheads should it come to power there? Oh yeah baby, that's a fucking scary scenario.

I would like to reemphasize at this time how little I care for religious extremists. I would happily inhabit a planet without such. Can someone please arrange that? K thnx bye.

message 2: by Not Bill (last edited Oct 28, 2008 11:27PM) (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments DakChar - it's worse than you can imagine.

First off, Pakistan is already a failed state, by all measures. The situation is extremely tense, and the Paki ISI is at the center of all of this. However, if in a position to do so, I would caution Obama on any action that would require sustainable operations in the area of NWFP - Waziristan, which is where we believe the remnanats of AQ are currently held up. At this point, we need to sharpen our ops in place aimed at securing their nukes. We are in position to do little else. So far, we are in constructive negotiations with India which will greatly enhance our position in the region. Other than that, for the moment we're up against the clock. PakiWaki (with all apologies to BunnWat) should have been ArcLighted long ago. It's the festering rats nest on the ass of the world. I could live without it.

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) That reminds me - I really need to get this festering rat's nest on my ass looked at.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

:::::laughs so hard that she sprays coffee out of her nose::::

NB... yeah, I wondered about that. I don't know when the documentary was finished, but it can only have gotten worse since then. I guess when Musharraf stepped down it was the beginning of the end. What is Zardari's deal?

I feel for the people who live in that area of the world through no fault of their own and are going to have to live through what is going to happen there. I can only imagine it's going to be UG LY.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
I would argue that the people there are allies. The fledgling government might be but I don't think the population at large is, which is also why the government is falling apart. I would not say that %100 of the population is pro Taliban, but a large enough contingent of the population is to manipulate the direction the country moves in. I have seen this first hand in Iraq, I predict a bloody mess in the near future, neighbors killing neighbors, and with the U.S. government increasing the life support to the Pakistan government

Also It is a democracy in name only... really. The military holds too much sway. That is not suppose to be the case in a democracy. The solders there are loyal to their unit commanders not the best interest of the country. They do not see themselves as defenders of Pakistan, they see themselves and fighters for the general, or whoever the general supports.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Bun, I don't think NB was advocating nuking the entire coutry of Pakistan. I'm pretty sure he was speaking specifically of the Afghan - Pakistan Border, which he so affectionately refers to as Paki Waki. Not that I'm saying it's a good idea, just trying to clarify.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LOL.... it's amazing, isn't it, how insanely well he gets under one's collar sometimes, no? It's his Special Talent.

message 8: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I kind of think of him as the sand in my granny panties.

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
note to self, Get Charrisa a dust buster for x-mas.

message 10: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LMAO!!!

message 11: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Heh, luckily he's easy to take - even for this lib - because he's made himself a caricature of certain points of view so it's difficult to take him seriously anymore.

Anyway... Char, that sounds uncomfortable.

message 12: by Cyril (last edited Oct 29, 2008 05:05PM) (new)

Cyril If you want to get some insight into the inner workings of the "Land of the Pure" go to Dawn
and then click on the Letters section on the left side. The letters vary in topic from anti-American and anti-government complaints to appeals to get phone service turned back on. They can be very interesting.

message 13: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

very interesting Cyril... thanks!

Gary... I have known NB for many many years now (more than I care to admit, as that would only emphasize my decrepitude)... he does tend to fly off the end of the planet now and then... but if you sit and speak with him face to face you find there is more sane than in on a given day.

message 14: by Gåry! (new)

Gåry! (garyneill) Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy reading him. ;)

message 15: by Not Bill (last edited Oct 30, 2008 01:49PM) (new)

Not Bill | 1062 comments OK Gary, then by my book! ...as soon as I publish my memoirs, which which will have to be soon. Senility and all, don't ya know.

I would encourage all good people here to familiarize themselves with Pakistan it's history, it's ongoing struggles in Jammu/Kasmir, the aftermath of the Karghil War and how that has shaped it's geopolitical outlook. Oh, and read their newspapers too as Cyril has pointed out.

Sand in one's granny panties. I like that. I'll have to work that in to my epitaph.

Now if you'll excuse me, I seem to have come down with a nagging itch ;]