Art Lovers discussion

Just For Fun > Personality Behind the Painting

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Again, please post a spoiler alert. Thank you!

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 162 comments There's nothing there, Heather.

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments An epileptic and the youngest of 20, this English artist and writer was mainly raised by his elder sister Anne. Traveling widely in Italy and Greece he published his sketches in a series of travel books. Later befriending his patron's grandchildren, he entertained them by writing amusing verse. Who is he?

1. David Hockney
2. Edward Lear
3. William Blake
4. J.R.R. Tolkien

message 5: by Ray (new)

Ray (eyesthebye) | 1 comments I am assuming it is Edward Lear

message 6: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Nov 09, 2011 07:36AM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments This artist was a founder member of the pre-raphaelite brotherhood. In 1860 he married a milliners assistant artist's model, whom he referred to as Guggums and was devastated by her death two years later from an overdose of Laudanum. After this time he became something of a recluse, suffering a nervous breakdown, and seeing his work become increasingly morbid. Who was this disturbed man?

1. Holman Hunt
2. John Millais
3. Edward Burne-Jones
4. Dante Rossetti

Don't forget to use the spoiler alert!

message 7: by Connie (new)

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Heather wrote: "An epileptic and the youngest of 20, this English artist and writer was mainly raised by his elder sister Anne. Traveling widely in Italy and Greece he published his sketches in a series of travel ..."

answer: Edward Lear

Born in London in 1812, and educated at home by Anne, who was 21 years his senior, Edward's first artistic income was from his bird illustrations at the age of 15. Although much admired during his lifetime for his artistic works, Lear is probably best now remembered for his nonsense verse and limericks. He did, however, exhibit at the Royal Academy and give drawing lessons to Queen Victoria.

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Heather wrote: "This artist was a founder member of the pre-raphaelite brotherhood. In 1860 he married a milliners assistant artist's model, whom he referred to as Guggums and was devastated by her death two years..."

answer: Dante Rossetti

Born Gabriel Charles Dante Rossetti in London in 1828, the second child of a refugee Neapolitan poet, Rossetti was also an accomplished poet himself. Some of his poems he had buried with his wife, Lizzie, which he later regretted and had her exhumed so that he could recover them. The story goes that when the casket was opened, Lizzie's body was perfectly preserved and her hair had grown to totally fill the coffin. Rossetti also had an eccentric collection of pets including opossum, armadillo, zebra and raccoon and had expressed a desire to acquire an elephant to teach the art of washing windows! After his wife's death, he famously became involved with Jane, the wife of his friend William Morris.

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:37AM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Thank you very much to all who have participated! Come everyone! Even if you have no idea of the answer, your guess is as good as mine!

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:41AM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Much inter-marrying took place in this artistocratic artist's family; his parents being first cousins, and his mother's brother marrying his father's sister. Not a fan of landscape painting, he once declared "The painter who paints purely landscape is a villain." Who is this short-sighted man?

1. Aubrey Beardsley
2. Paul Cezanne
3. Henri Toulous-Lautrec
4. Henri Matisse

message 12: by Ed (last edited Nov 18, 2011 10:38PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Heather wrote: "Much inter-marrying took place in this artistocratic artist's family..."

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Ed (last edited Nov 19, 2011 06:18PM) (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Here. let me try one:

This artist was given to rages and uncouth behavior, and could not bear to be touched. He liked to put coins under items that he painted so they would tilt over.

1. Giorgio Morandi
2. Salvador Dali
3. Paul Cezanne
4. Pablo Picasso.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments (view spoiler)

Good one, Ed. I have no idea. Initially I was thinking Caravaggio, but that wasn't one of the options. Hmmm, I'm looking forward to the answer!

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Heather wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Good one, Ed. I have no idea. Initially I was thinking Caravaggio, but that wasn't one of the options. Hmmm, I'm looking forward to the answer!"

OK I'll put the answer in the spoiler section....

message 16: by Ed (new)

Ed Smiley | 871 comments Heather wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Good one, Ed. I have no idea. Initially I was thinking Caravaggio, but that wasn't one of the options. Hmmm, I'm looking forward to the answer!"

Caravaggio, definitely the ranges and uncouth behavior. No coins though.

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Thanks, Ed! You learn something new every day!

message 18: by Heather, Moderator (last edited Nov 21, 2011 09:02PM) (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Heather wrote: "Much inter-marrying took place in this artistocratic artist's family; his parents being first cousins, and his mother's brother marrying his father's sister. Not a fan of landscape painting, he onc..."

Yep, Ed got it!

Henri Toulouse-Lautrec

Henri Marie-Raymond de Toulouse Lautrec-Monfa was born near Toulouse in 1864. Under five feet tall, he lisped due to an overlarge tongue, wore pince-nez spectacles and a hat, whether indoors or out. Particularly well known for his Moulin Rouge series of posters, his work was influenced by the flatness of Japanese woodcuts. He suffered a stroke and dies at his mother's home at the age of 36. His father drove the hearse at his funeral.

message 19: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments The son of a Lutheran pastor, this prolific artist was mentally unstable.Supported by his younger brother to whom he wrote, "I cannot help it that my paintings do not sell. The day will come when people will see that they are worth more than the price of the paint". He is said to have shot himself at the scene of his final painting, dying in his devoted brother's arms two days later. Who was this deeply unhappy man?

1. Augustus John
2. Claude Monet
3. Vincent van Gogh
4. Piet Mondrian

I would hope that everyone could guess this one.