Shrinking Violet Society discussion

Life of Pi
This topic is about Life of Pi
December Discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Shrinking Violet Society (shrinkingvioletsociety) | 30 comments Mod
Life of Pi
Please feel free to discuss the book here.

Andrea | 2 comments Loved it! I was hit pretty hard by the twist at the end, and couldn't believe the author hoodwinked me so entirely...

Becky (beckyeckys) | 1 comments I know, Andrea. The twist at the end was a surprise. I think it's interesting that Yann Martel said, “The theme of this novel can be summarized in three lines. Life is a story. You can choose your story. And a story with an imaginative overlay is the better story.”

I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say about it tomorrow.

Andrea | 2 comments Becky wrote: "I know, Andrea. The twist at the end was a surprise. I think it's interesting that Yann Martel said, “The theme of this novel can be summarized in three lines. Life is a story. You can choose you..."

That's a good quote, and an interesting position. It reminds me of Narrative Therapy, which is a therapy technique I've been learning more about lately. The idea is that individuals or cultures can process trauma or oppression if they tell a story about it in a way that places it outside of themselves, rather than inside themselves. Then they can process the trauma in an objective way, change the outcome of the trauma story and move on with life. I can't help but think Yann Martel is familiar with the theory. http://www.goodtherapy.org/Narrative_...