Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Epic Fantasy > The Alloy of Law

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe | 11 comments So I just finished the Alloy of Law and I have to say I enjoyed it. It definitely left me wanting more, however. I'm curious as to what others have thought of it that have read it (I realize that it just came out today).

I do wish he had gone more in depth on the new society, although it was cool seeing all the references to the old characters, especially naming the gun Vindication.

Anyone else think it odd that the metals in the ars arcanum don't match the original trilogy?

message 2: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I can't wait, my copy is coming tomorrow from Amazon since I order the book yesterday.

message 3: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet I'm not really eager to read this book, though I'm a big fan of Brandon and his mistborn trilogy, I read the description and it didn't make me interested, but I'm sure at some point I'll come around and read it but not anytime soon

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a great story. Short, much lighter in tone than the Mistborn trilogy, and all kinds of fun.

I can definitely see it being a fun, old west style serial.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Is familiarity with Mistborn necessary to really enjoy it, do you think, Ala?

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 10, 2011 12:27PM) (new)

There's a few mentions in passing about events and people from the original trilogy. It's not necessary to have read them to get the gist of them though.

Reading the trilogy first lays out the world and gives you a feel for how much has changed, but it isn't necessary.

I will say that there is one scene that might not have as much impact if you haven't read them, but it's short and towards the end of the book and serves more as a teaser/hook for the next book.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Hmmm....

'k, thanks.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Don't want to read the trilogy? You could just read the wiki for the pertinent information.

If you're planning on reading the trilogy after this, then just don't read the 'Epilogue'.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Not really interested in the trilogy, no.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Ah. Then just wiki it.

Alloy is worth reading. Wayne is my new favorite character.

message 11: by Mach (new)

Mach | 572 comments How is Alloy compared to the first Mistborn book ?

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Lighter in tone. More focused in a few characters. More fun.

message 13: by Kevin (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:54PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) I finished the book yesterday. I did not find the book interesting at all. I had high expectation for the book since I loved the trilogy, but this book was just god awful.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Welp

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

What exactly did you find god awful, Kev?

imgonnaregretthis

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Ala wrote: "Welp"

Many whelps. Handle it.

message 17: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Ala wrote: "What exactly did you find god awful, Kev?

imgonnaregretthis"

LOL!

message 18: by Dana (new)

Dana | 140 comments I've only read the chapters that were posted on tor.com, but I liked what I've read so far. I liked Wayne too. I'll get the book eventually. Probably sometime after Christmas.

message 19: by Becky (new)

Becky I am really excited to read this book, but I'm going to finish the Mistborn series first (and I got totally sidetracked by Game of Thrones...so...whoops). I love seeing world progression, and I love that he jumped so far in time. I'm excited to see "the religion" and just how the worlds gone on.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky Ala wrote: "Welp"

Many whelps. Handle it.

MORE DOTS!

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Becky wrote: "Ala wrote: "Welp"

Many whelps. Handle it.

MORE DOTS!"

Ok... stop dots.

(I didn't think anyone was going to get it. I'm so happy now.) :D

message 22: by Traci (new)

Traci It is much lighter in tone but I'm actually enjoying it more than Mistborn, although I'm a huge fan of those too. I like a fun story with tons of action, humor, and a good bromance.

And yes, I love Wayne. :)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Wayne makes the best trades

message 24: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Indeed the cameraderie between Wayne and Wax was great. It was great seeing which hat Wayne would go for next.

Anyone know where Hoid showed up in this book? I read somewhere from Brandon Sanderson that he's in the book, just not so obvious. I didn't pick him out. I thought I had him at the end, but that turned out to be ... someone else. Did anyone notice him?

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Wedding reception?

message 26: by Amelia (new)

Amelia (narknon) Ala wrote: "Wedding reception?"

Hmm... very likely. There was so much going on there though it might be real tough to pick him out.

message 27: by Traci (new)

Traci Even though Alloy of Law is different than other Sanderson books, I still had no trouble recognizing his style. The creative magic systems, the visuals of his battle scenes (done really well here), and even the twists in plot. So if you read this one and liked it, try his other books. If you read his other books and liked them but are unsure of this one, read it.

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments Traci wrote: "Even though Alloy of Law is different than other Sanderson books, I still had no trouble recognizing his style. The creative magic systems, the visuals of his battle scenes (done really well here),..."

I found it very similar in tone and style to Warbreaker.

The Alloy of Law didn't blow me away like the original Mistborn trilogy or the Way of Kings did.(I'm a sucker for the epics on a massive scale) But I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has all the qualities of a Sanderson novel.

message 29: by Rbette1299 (new)

Rbette1299 (dragonsdancing) | 3 comments I enjoyed this story and look forward to more. The Alloy of Law is a quick, fun read. Wax and Wayne are great together. Liked their back and forth banter. Brandon has said that Hoid was the peasant seen talking to the bride and groom at the beginning of the reception and no distinguishing characteristics to mark him as Hoid. Once the action started it didn't stop and some of the scenes were mind boggling. By the end I became sympathetic to Miles. And how about that Kandra and Wax's conversations with Harmony?

message 30: by Darrell (new)

Darrell Crawford | 3 comments I thought this book was too short. The writing was good as Sanderson continues to show he's not just and author picked to finish one of the greatest series of all time, but also can create some good stories of his own. But there were some things that would have been better served if they played out more slowly. This leads me to believe that this book, while setting up what is likely to be another good one in Sanderson's own world, was more of an escape from the sprawling landscape and loooooong backstory involvement of the WOT book he is working on.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters and the way they played off each other and I think they are set up nicely, but when all was said and done the Epilogue had more intrigue in it than the whole rest of the book.

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments Darrell wrote: "This leads me to believe that this book, while setting up what is likely to be another good one in Sanderson's own world, was more of an escape from the sprawling landscape and loooooong backstory involvement of the WOT book he is working on. "

Actually, that's exactly what it is. :) It started out as a short story he started to write in between having finished The Way of Kings and starting to write on the final Wheel of Time book.

message 32: by Traci (new)

Traci I actually liked that about this book. I enjoy reading monster sized epic tomes but sometimes I like short and quick too. This one was paced with never a slow or dull moment. And I loved it. I wouldn't have expected Sanderson to be so good at this kind of book. I would rather have a sequel for Alloy than for Kings.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I want a sequel for all his books :P

message 34: by Traci (new)

Traci This hit the spot perfectly for me too. I've mentioned before that I like the classic sword and sorcery style books. Perfect update of the traditional style.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Just catching up with everyone else. I just finished this one, great book.

message 36: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments Looks like we will be doing this for February read. Feel free to come over on that thread as well and share in discussing.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 5387 comments Cool.