Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Themes > Sci-Fi/ Futuristic

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3396 comments Mod
Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler ?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) | 7314 comments Mod
I'd definitely recommend Strange Little Band Two psychics. One mega-corp. All-around bad behavior. by Nancy Brauer , although it's also paranormal.

I haven't read it, but Rae seemed to enjoy Cold Warriors by Clare Dargin , which I have on my Kindle.

message 3: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "I'd definitely recommend Strange Little Band Two psychics. One mega-corp. All-around bad behavior. by Nancy Brauer, although it's also paranormal.

I haven't read it, but Rae seemed to enjoy..."

I tried to get Cold Warriors for my Nook, and couldn't find anywhere that sold a compatible version. :(

message 4: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh that's too bad, Michelle. :(

message 5: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
I flippin' love Cold Warriors!

Sorry but that book hit all the right spots on my SF reading cravings hehe.

I chat with the author from time to time and she told me it will be out again for purchase soon along with the sequel (YAY!). She doesn't have a release date yet but will keep me posted. It should be coming out with Decadent Pub so hang tight!

message 6: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Aug 11, 2012 05:32PM) (new)

I bought Cimmerian City (Cimmerian, #1) by Rae Lori today. I think its a combination of sci-fi and the paranormal. I can't wait to start reading it.

message 7: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Oh that's out on ebook? Cool. I want to read it!

message 8: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "Oh that's out on ebook? Cool. I want to read it!"

I am so looking forward to reading that one too. There's so many good books to read, but my job keeps getting in the way, LOL!

message 9: by Danielle The Book Huntress , Sees Love in All Colors (new)

Yeah, I know the feeling.

message 10: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (last edited Sep 09, 2012 07:21PM) (new)

I just wanted to let everyone know about this multicultural sci-fi (cyber-punk?) that I started reading a while ago. I found it to be pretty interesting, but had to put it on hold, and just hadn't made my way back to it yet:

Ambasadora by Heidi Ruby Miller

I'll probably get back to it soon if anyone if anyone is interested in reading along with me.

message 11: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I just started reading Dawn (Xenogenesis, #1) by Octavia E. Butler . I believe there may be an IR couple in this novel.

message 12: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Michelle, yes Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy is IR BW/Asian Man, though books 2 & 3 deal more with their son (if I remember correctly). Terrific series. Also she has 2 others that have IR pairings. Mind of My Mind (Patternmaster, #2) by Octavia E. Butler and Kindred by Octavia E. Butler

message 13: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

Thanks Deborah!

message 14: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments I love the late, great Octavia Butler. I have read all of her books except on of the Patternist series which is out of print.

She is so missed.

message 15: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments Overclocked by K.S. Augustin nicely written novella where the main characters have an IR romance (bw, wm) and are 'cybernauts.'

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Mrsbookmark I totally agree! She was the author who motivated me to start writing science fiction/futuristic. I re-read her books all the time.

message 17: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Tina - Looks good. I'm going to check that book out on Amazon. My Kindle is going to explode soon. :)

message 18: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments If anyone is into comics, lately I've been reading Tom Strong, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore which has a BW/WM pairing. The series is by Alan Moore who's written a lot of other series including the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The individual issues are compiled into books, so you can read several stories in one sitting. Terrific art too.

message 19: by Kisha (new)

Kisha | 23 comments Ill check it out. Thanks!

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina | 8 comments @ Deborah, yeah I have the Tom Strong series. Very sexy. He and his wife also have a biracial daughter.

BTW if we are including graphic novels then... I can't talk up Saga, Vol. 1 by Brian K. Vaughan enough.

message 21: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Tina wrote: "@ Deborah, yeah I have the Tom Strong series. Very sexy. He and his wife also have a biracial daughter.

BTW if we are including graphic novels then... I can't talk up [bookcover:Saga, Vol. 1|157..."

SAGA! I read that too on my ipad.

message 22: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments Thanks, I'll check that out!

message 23: by Asteropê (new)

Asteropê (21tauri) Here's one:
Sweet Dreams by Evangeline Anderson

message 24: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments It might be of interest...this article about diversity in the SFF genre.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/books/...

Most of the writers seem feature do more fantasy/urban fantasy but I hope we start getting more SF and SFRomance at some point. I am writing an SFR and if I remember Deborah is writing (an SF?). Maybe those of us interested could post our updates/beta read for each other. Just a thought.

message 25: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments Hey @Mrsbookmark my editor had her way with the manuscript and now it's back to me for the final draft.

By the way, I took a class on world building and I was told that because my story involves psychic powers, it's more paranormal than SF. Do these categories matter? Will a reader be more likely to pick up a paranormal than an SF romance? Perhaps it's more perception of what SF is, than anything else.

Great article. Years ago I submitted a story to the Dark Matter anthology. I didn't get in, but I got a nice "rejection" letter from the editor, Sheree Thomas.

My inspirations are Octavia Butler and Ursula LeGuin who both wrote SF that was more character-focused. Yet they touched on major themes without being grandiose. Years ago I took a writing course and there were 90% women in the class. Only two of us said we read SF, the rest said they didn't. In fact, they claimed not to like it. It just seemed odd so many of them would claim to dislike something they were probably never exposed to.

I grew up on the original Trek, and I have a huge box of Superman comics from the 60's & 70's in my garage. :) So, I'm a nerd and proud. :)

message 26: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Deborah wrote: "Hey @Mrsbookmark my editor had her way with the manuscript and now it's back to me for the final draft.

By the way, I took a class on world building and I was told that because my story involves ..."

Cheers to you! Going through drafts is tough, but I'm sure you'll make it. I read the Dark Matter anthology ( two i think). There's also Brandon Masseys's Dark Dreams which is more horror.

Fan of Ursula LeGuin too. Always Coming Home is my favorite because its so rich and complex. Another SF writer Liz Williams is good to. as well as horror writer Tananarive Due. And of course, the very kind Seressia Glass.

I think whether or not it's paranormal than SF may depend on the rest of your world and how prominent the psychic powers are. Plus, how do they come about? Is there a "scientific' explanation for them? At present there seems to be more inclination to by a paranormal over an SF but trends change on a dime.

I am a big Trekkie too. All of them. DVD's, books, a copy of " Beyond Uhura" & a Uhura Barbie doll. Still in the box as a gift for my daughter someday. Not to mention the Star Wars collectibles. :)

Do you think there'd be any interest in a goodreads group for women of color writers in Spec fic fields? Is there already one? I thought about starting one so we could support each other.:)

message 27: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Mrsbookmark - So I see we have a lot in common. :) I have a small Uhura action figure from the original series. Beyond Uhura is in my library as well. There's also tons of Trek fan fiction in my garage (from the days where they printed "fanzines.")

I'm familiar with the writers who mentioned except Liz Williams. I'll have to check her out.

In my book the psychic abilities are mutations. The people develop them after they've colonized a planet in a distant system. The technology in my story is there in the background, but the for the most part the story is about how the psychic abilities are used. And how the culture is organized due to those mutations.

There is an IR paranormal group that I happened to find. I think a lot of people from this group are in it. But I haven't searched for a spec fic group, so I don't know if one exists yet. It would be helpful to have group support.

message 28: by L'Poni (new)

L'Poni (lponi) | 82 comments I don't know much about interracial Sci Fi books (actually, I've seen only 7 or 3) but Falling Skies third season has an interracial relationship building between the character Ben. Forgot the other girl's name, but the relationship looks interracial to me (well, I'm hoping it is. Nothing has been said about them being together). Since I can't read novels and there doesn't seem to be much interracial Sci Fi, I made my own world where sci fi dragons rule the Earth, and their god's "Other" is an African American lady :D

Making your own world can make you feel ethereal (in a good way).

ICE CREAM!

message 29: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Deborah wrote: "@Mrsbookmark - So I see we have a lot in common. :) I have a small Uhura action figure from the original series. Beyond Uhura is in my library as well. There's also tons of Trek fan fiction in my g..."
I would love to join in the IR paranormal. Do you have a link?
also, I just read in trade magazine that Octavia Butler's estate has a deal for a graphic novel of KINDRED.

message 30: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments Here's the link to the paranormal group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/3...

That's terrific news about Kindred. It's a great read. Very interested to see how a graphic novel turns out.

message 31: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @L'Poni I've never watched Falling Skies, but I'll put it on my list to check out. Regarding IR Sci-fi, right now I just know of Octavia Butler (and some graphic novels). Perhaps IR writers are going more for fantasy more than sci-fi.

message 32: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments I found an IR SciFi Romance here:
http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2013/...

Clare Dargan
Cold Warriors

BW/WM

message 33: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @mrsbookmark looks good I'll check it out!

message 34: by TB (new)

TB (tb1991) | 294 comments wow cold warriors looks good! can't wait to read it

message 35: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments I just started reading Cold Warriors and I'm enjoying it so far. Clare Dargan has another book, Speculative Sky that I just got. The protag is a BW.

message 36: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Deborah wrote: "I just started reading Cold Warriors and I'm enjoying it so far. Clare Dargan has another book, Speculative Sky that I just got. The protag is a BW."

Nice! Moving it up to next on my TBR

message 37: by TB (last edited Jul 15, 2013 10:11AM) (new)

TB (tb1991) | 294 comments Hey all just finished
Cold Warriors LOVED IT!! It says the second book is due out 2014 cant wait..I heart Scifi romances :)

message 38: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Lucy you're fast! :) I was hoping book 2 would be out sooner. Darn.

message 39: by TB (new)

TB (tb1991) | 294 comments @Deb lol when a book is good I can't put it down :-)

message 40: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments That's great you loved it. I think I'll try to set up an author interview on our blog.

message 41: by CaliGirlRae, Mod Squad (new)

CaliGirlRae (rae_l) | 2002 comments Mod
Cold Warriors was my first and favorite SFR. Such a great book! I'm jazzed to see that Clare just released the sequel this past weekend and I dove in and grabbed my copy. It's also available on the publisher's site here.

http://www.decadentpublishing.com/pro...

I'm so excited to read this. I've been waiting years for it to come out! :-)

message 42: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Great! I just started book 1 & really enjoy it.

message 43: by TB (new)

TB (tb1991) | 294 comments YES! YES! YES! thanks so much I thought it was coming out next year or something...im on it :)

CaliGirlRae wrote: "Cold Warriors was my first and favorite SFR. Such a great book! I'm jazzed to see that Clare just released the sequel this past weekend and I dove in and grabbed my copy. It's also available on the..."

message 44: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments Great to hear it's out now! Thought I'd have to wait until 2014. :)

message 45: by TB (new)

TB (tb1991) | 294 comments Finished it..what a great read. Definitely a page turner :)

message 46: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments Just finished Cold Warriors. It was good:) she did an amazing job at creating her future world too.

message 47: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

I was just looking through some books on here and saw that Addicted in Cold Blood by Tiana Laveen is sort of a sci-futuristic romance.

message 48: by Echo (new)

Echo  (mrsbookmark) | 307 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I was just looking through some books on here and saw that Addicted in Cold Blood by Tiana Laveen is sort of a sci-futuristic romance."

Cool. Thanks for posting this.

message 49: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Bailey | 115 comments @Mrsbookmark - my book is finally finished! Now I'm doing the formatting for ebook and print. The person doing the cover got sick, so that work will be delayed for a few days. In any case, I'm almost there.

I just uploaded a short story collection to Amazon, but I haven't had a lot of time to promote it as yet.

message 50: by Michelle, Mod with the Bod (new)

mrsbookmark wrote: "✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I was just looking through some books on here and saw that Addicted in Cold Blood by Tiana Laveen is sort of a sci-futuristic romance."

Cool. Thanks for posting this."

No problem :)

« previous 1