The Adventures of Tom Sawyer The Adventures of Tom Sawyer question

Huck or Tom?

Huck! Huck!

Saffia (last edited Mar 17, 2012 07:11PM ) Mar 17, 2012 07:11PM   1 vote
Tom in this booke!!
I love Tom's imagination
Tom seems the more innocent of the bad side of the world in this booke.
Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooove, this book!!!!!!!!!!!

HUCK all the way!

deleted member May 14, 2012 02:42AM   1 vote
Tom

Huck no doubt

HUCK

Huck

Tom

Sid.

I read this book years ago and my main recollection is Huck.

Huck! Hands down!

I really like Tom! : ) My favorite Mark Twain book is Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

Huck. Tom was fun but Huck just seemed to have a deeper, kinder soul :-)

both, i can't choose! ... but huck :D

Hmm book or character? For both I am going to have to say Tom even though he is a conniving little thing.

Huck

Huck. He is a way more interesting character.

Huck!

Alvin (last edited Aug 13, 2012 10:09AM ) Aug 13, 2012 10:08AM   0 votes
I'll just throw this out there for fun. In 1948 the literary critic Leslie Fiedler wrote piece for the Partisan Review called, “Come Back to the Raft Ag'in, Huck Honey!” As you might imagine it stirred quite a bit of controversy in suggesting that the relationship between Huck and Jim was a sexual one. I hope it will stir a lot of controversy here when I ask you, what do you think?

The renegade Huck!

This is a VERY hard question to answer! hmmm...
:)

deleted member Jul 17, 2013 11:42AM   0 votes
Well, Tom I suppose. I mean, it was Tom who got me into Mark Twain in the first place. But in terms of human morale, Huck all the way.

And Tom was imaginative almost to the point of crazy. Fun to read, but I would have been super annoyed if I knew him in person. Just sayin'

deleted member Dec 11, 2011 01:45AM   0 votes
HUCK !!!!

Huck, he is more adorable.

deleted member May 31, 2012 10:00AM   0 votes
Huck Finn for me.

TOM

Huck. I like that while still having a childish innocence he also has maturity far beyond his age. I love Tom, but sometimes he can get annoying.

Tom and Huck are poles apart from each other in virtually every way; they are polar opposites in basic living situations and in the ways in which they view the world. Though both are orphans, Tom lives in a refined household with an aunt who loves him, who is patient of his tomfoolery, who is indulgent with his youthful adventures and impulse, and who is genuinely concerned about his wellbeing. On the other hand, Huck Finn is alone, has no home, and his father is the town drunkard who completely ignores his son, in his drunken rages, beats him brutally. Thus, Huck has no one to take care of him. It is a sad commentary indeed that, at the end of the novel, Mr. Jones is the first adult ever to welcome Huck inside a private home. While Tom sleeps in a comfortable bed at night, Huck might be found sleeping in someone's barn, in a cardboard box, or his favorite sleeping place, in an empty hogheads barrel. Tom is served three meals a day; Huck has to scrounge for food for himself. Tom goes to the established and respectable school, attends Sunday school, and is invited to parties in other people's homes. Huck does not attend school and, naturally, is not invited to parties. Instead he is free from responsibility and moves freely in and out of the town, sometimes disappearing for days, and is never missed. Tom is filled with imaginative schemes, but they all come from adventure stories he has read however, Huck is not a reader, but instead he possesses a mind capable of performing feats that would escape Tom's bookish imagination. Tom is a dreamer, and Huck is always the practical or pragmatic person, both of them envy each another’s lifestyle, Tom envies Huck’s freedom and Huck envies Tom’s civilized lifestyle. Both of them are so opposite yet preserve such great friendship and that makes me admire them both. Tom, for his imaginative presidential-like mind and Huck..well I have a soft spot for him.

deleted user I saw no sign at all of Huck envying Tom his civilized lifestyle, though. Quite the contrary, he feared it when it threatened to embrace him.
Jan 25, 2014 09:25PM

Tom!!!

Both, they are so crazy and had such fun!

Huck Sawyer...lol

Huck, seriously, I would love the name huckleberry! But still, Huck is the best, no matter what! Also, Huck Finn sorta has a ring to it, no doubt. HUCK HUCK HUCK!!!!!!

Haha, Becky Thatcher! Lol JK. I loved Tom in this book.

Tom

Huck, all day and night.

Tom

Can I say BOTH, equally? - I agree with you Sophy, I love this book!!!

Tom

Huck!

Tom. He was the leader and the brains. Hey, they both are top shelf.

Huck!

Huck

Huck

Tom! :D

TOM. Rather than being annoyed by his childishness, I LOVE IT! He's a Peter Pan sort of character; he is full of imagination and adventure and doesn't want to grow up!

deleted user But Tom is growing up before our very eyes as the story unfolds. He has multiple crises of conscience, one of which leads to a great and brave act, te ...more
Jan 25, 2014 09:23PM · flag

Tom!

Tom Sawyer

Tom is a socializing character, he carries all the trappings of being socialized. Whereas Huck is a Zen character. Those trappings mostly wash over him. He's not comfortable with them. He is drawn to the middle path almost exclusively. Not entirely, though, as Tom leads him down the wrong path more than once. He does manage to recover, however. What do you prefer, a lawyer or a free spirit?

I preferred Huck.

Huck!

« previous 1