Penny for Your Thoughts discussion

Your Two Cents > West Hollywood Banning Fur?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) | 17 comments http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/1...

Thoughts? Personally the law is a joke. No fur but meat and leather are fine! I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

message 2: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) No comment. (Unless you count that.)

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) | 17 comments So you simply don't care? (not trying to provoke you or something, just wanna know XD)

message 4: by Maggie, All mimsy were the borogroves, and the mome raths outgrabe (new)

Maggie (maggie-swift) | 415 comments Mod
Well, as long as you're not trapping endangered animals, I don't see why it's a problem. Don't hunting and trapping help control the population or something?

message 5: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) wrote: "So you simply don't care? (not trying to provoke you or something, just wanna know XD)"

I am simply stunned at the foolishness it embodies. I'm sure they have the best intentions, but this law will make no difference whatsoever in the fur industry... The city is so small that they can just drive into Hollywood or Beverly Hills to get their furs- and of course, there's always the internet. It's going to take revenue away from local stores as people take their shopping online or into neighboring cities. If it's just a statement that they're trying to make, then they are going about it in a foolish way- the law will have to be enforced in some way or another, further clogging the courts system.

Besides, it's already illegal to harvest endangered species for their furs... this law will do nothing to stop the black market. Animals are usually farmed for their furs in the modern day, and though they may take objection to the methods by which they are farmed, their ban is not going to change those methods of farming or the people who buy the furs. It's just going to take money away from their town. **Headshake**

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) | 17 comments Helen wrote: "Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) wrote: "So you simply don't care? (not trying to provoke you or something, just wanna know XD)"

I am simply stunned at the foolishness it embodies. I'm sure they have ..."

Well only certain animals are extensively rancher for their furs. Mink, muskrat, rabbits and chinchillas are the ones mainly ranched.

Foxes, wolves, coyotes, raccoon and beaver are all almost exclusively trapped for their fur.

Trapping actually helps protect dozens of species of endangered animals all over the united states.

message 7: by Ada (new)

Ada (caladhieledhel-mellon) Foxes are also farmed, to an extent. But I see your point. Could you perhaps go into detail about how trapping helps the endangered species, though?

Angus (Ozzy Zig needs a gig) Richardson (tap3w3rm) | 17 comments ^^Right absolutely. And you right, fox urine trade skipped my mind completely.

I'm sure you're aware of the existence of endangered seabirds such as the Piping Plover correct? Well here in Maryland there are extensive trapping programs dedicated to fox trapping and raccoon trapping to help protected seabird nests, especially those who are endangered.

"Trapping can help restore threatened and endangered species by controlling predators and other animals that would otherwise have killed these sensitive animals or destroyed their habitats. Sea turtles, black-footed ferrets, whooping cranes, and other rare species are protected from predation and habitat damage caused by foxes, coyotes, and nutria."

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-...