Horror Aficionados discussion

Secret Santa 2011

Comments Showing 1-50 of 617 (617 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl, hope you don't mind me starting this for you to take over when you're available. Thanks for playing the Jolly Bearded Man again this year.

message 2: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks, Tressa!

message 3: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome, Eileen.

Put my name on the list, Carl. Thanks.

message 4: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments Ooh,ooh can I be in it too!!!

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) I want to be on the list, too!! :)

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 1479 comments I would like to in again, Carl.

message 7: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) I'll join too :)

message 8: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments OK, everybody PM me if you want in. I won't be doing anything with it until Monday, but if you would like to start sending, go ahead.

If it is OK, one name will be blacklisted, however. I am not much of one for giving people 5th or 6th chances. Santa might forgive, but I do not.

message 9: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl the Bizarro Santa.

message 10: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments I pm'd you Carl! I love this idea :)

message 11: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments Can I get the details of it once again so I'm sure.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'll join, too!

Thanks for doing this again this year, Carl.

message 13: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments How does this work?

message 14: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tim, send your name/address/e-mail address (in case some people want to send online gift cards) to Carl. I think you can also specify if you want to be SS with someone only in your country because of the more expensive shipping costs.

I think we even created a SS book wish list on our GR shelves so it would be easier to pick a gift someone would enjoy. You can send any extra goodies you want in the box—doesn't have to just be books.

I think it's supposed to be a secret, but you know someone's apt to spill the beans.

message 15: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments How much do you guys generally spend on the gifts?

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Usually no more than $10-20. But some spend more.

message 17: by Megan (new)

Megan  (trixiekitten) | 133 comments Good range! :)

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) | 797 comments You can count me in.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Trixie, yeah. Nobody here's rolling in the dough, or I'm not, so that is a good range.

message 20: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments So you create a shelf that says books I wish I had? Sorry for the dumbass question but I don't have many shelves.

message 21: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments What Tressa said. :O)

Tim, yes. I think you can also do something with Amazon so that people can see. You might also wish to mention if you would prefer hard copy or if you are a Kindle person.

message 22: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Or a Secret Santa Wish List shelf. Or I guess someone could pick one from your TBR list, but those are usually pretty big and I know that mine have some I'm dying to read RIGHT NOW and some I can wait five years to read. So it seems like a nice idea to make it easy on everyone and create a SSWL shelf with 5-10 books on it.

message 23: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Carl wrote: "What Tressa said. :O)

Tim, yes. I think you can also do something with Amazon so that people can see. You might also wish to mention if you would prefer hard copy or if you are a Kindle person."

Oh, good idea. I should have put that I'm a Kindle person in my PM to you.

message 24: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments Tressa wrote: "Or a Secret Santa Wish List shelf. Or I guess someone could pick one from your TBR list, but those are usually pretty big and I know that mine have some I'm dying to read RIGHT NOW and some I can w..."

Thank you for your prompt response and professional manner and your kindness.

message 25: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Plus, if anybody else is like I am, the TBR shelf contains books I do own. So the best option would be to make a list of books you would like to get. You may also send me a list of requests and I will pass them along to the person who I match with your name.

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tim wrote: "Thank you for your prompt response and professional manner and your kindness. ..."

Of course. Aren't I always?

message 27: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments As has been the case in previous years, I will send out all of the matches on Monday AFTER Thanksgiving. For those of you outside of the US, that date would be 28 November 2011. Please get me your info before then.

message 28: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments Tressa wrote: "Tim wrote: "Thank you for your prompt response and professional manner and your kindness. ..."

Of course. Aren't I always?"

I was being sarcastic, you Edward Lee lover!

message 29: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tim wrote: "I was being sarcastic, you Edward Lee lover!"

I was, too!

message 30: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 3233 comments Okay, I'm in. Off to create my secret santa wish list.

message 31: by Lee (new)

Lee | 2502 comments I'm in again this year...

message 32: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Nice to see the usual suspects sending along the PM!!! I think last year we had 24 or so people take part. Anybody think we can top that?

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments We have lots of new members and a lot of them are not lurkers. So maybe so.

message 34: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments That would be nifty!!! Did we turn this thread into a sticky??? Maybe I will post to all of the previous participants and see if they would like back in.

message 35: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments No, let me make it a sticky. Thanks.

message 36: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments No, no, thank YOU!

message 37: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (ShannonCinderz) | 47 comments What a fun way to share the joy of reading. You guys are really a "joy" to get to know in addition. I am so new here, and would love to be a Secret Santa ;) I will make a short santa shelf, just in case my secret santa is short.
:D

message 38: by Zuzana (new)

Zuzana Urbanek | 391 comments THANKS, Carl! And thank you Tressa for starting the thread! Looking forward to this year's Secret Santa! I'll put my bells on and everything!

message 39: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments You're welcome, Zuzanna. At another group I'm in here we did a Christmas Card exchange one year. It was nice to get Christmas cards from members of the group, especially since most people no longer send Christmas cards. That's one tradition I miss; when I was a kid it was a nice way to keep in touch with family and friends we didn't get to see often.

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) | 797 comments Oh Tressa, I would love to send you a christmas card from across the seas. If you want, PM me and I will get straight onto it ;o)

message 41: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Graet idea! Count me in.

message 42: by Timothy (new)

Timothy Asbury | 960 comments I also miss the Christmas card tradition, it was so much more personal.

message 43: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Just got my first unemployment payment since starting the job and now doing the math, I don't think I'll be able to afford a secret santa...it'll be a miracle to afford a regular santa at this point...grrr

message 44: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 8318 comments Bandit wrote: "Just got my first unemployment payment since starting the job and now doing the math, I don't think I'll be able to afford a secret santa...it'll be a miracle to afford a regular santa at this poin..."

We can always exchange addresses and send cards for those that can't do SS for whatever reason.

message 45: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Atkinson (darkened_angel) | 797 comments That is a really good idea Gator. If this happens, Carl you have my permission to pass on my address.

message 46: by Bandit (new)

Bandit (lecturatoro) | 8224 comments Gatorman wrote: "We can always exchange addresses and send cards for those that can't do SS for whatever reason. "

that's a really good idea, Gator
is that's ok with Carl, I'll put in my address and get some addresses for the cards

message 47: by Erica (new)

Erica (bookpsycho) | 256 comments I would be down for sending Christmas cards. This year has killed me financially.

message 48: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'd also be happy to do Christmas cards along with SS.

message 49: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I love exchanging Christmas cards. If another list is too much for Carl to handle, I could be in charge of the card list. Just let me know, Carl. (It's always a pleasure to volunteer someone's services who's not at the meeting.)

message 50: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tressa wrote: "I love exchanging Christmas cards. If another list is too much for Carl to handle, I could be in charge of the card list. Just let me know, Carl. (It's always a pleasure to volunteer someone's serv..."

I'd be willing to help, if help is needed, Tressa.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13