The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #81 - Elephant paper

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1664 comments Mod
New episode is up! Poll for voting on the next book will come up shortly.

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

EDIT: Poll is now up:
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/56...

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Oi oi oi. Words can't express how often I've been refreshing my Google Reader and my email, hoping to see an announcement of the new 'cast and thus the new book. But sounds like I'll have to wait a little longer... :(

message 3: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments Will I hate books if I try to read 1Q84? Snow Crash and The Windup Girl almost made me hate books.

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments hmm... the download via rss not working for me. The link in the feed with podtrac redirect seems to be ending ".mp" instead of ".mp3". I manually downloaded it in the meantime :)

Like terpkristin I was hoping to know the next book. Look forward to the voting, how democratic :)

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy (andy_m) | 311 comments I cannot speak for 1Q84 but I have seen elephant "waste" paper. Not kidding! After I got past the weirdness, it makes a great conversation starter/stopper (depending on who you are speaking with).

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Andrew wrote: "hmm... the download via rss not working for me. The link in the feed with podtrac redirect seems to be ending ".mp" instead of ".mp3". I manually downloaded it in the meantime :)

Like terpkristin ..."

Sigh, fixed!

You guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 828 comments I haven't complained. Or have I?

message 8: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Anne wrote: "I haven't complained. Or have I?"

No, but I've got my eye on you!!! ;)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Veronica wrote:ou guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!

You could try a weather spell and bring the UK some sun. (Misty and drizzly today), Fix the world economy, create world peace and get that POLL UP. ;)

message 10: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Veronica wrote: "You guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!
"

Awww.. we do appreciate it all V. Do keep an eye on Anne though ;)

Vikz wrote: "Veronica wrote:ou guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!..."

You need to move to the colonies. A balmy 24 degrees here in Oz with a high of 30 due. Mist?, drizzle?, all I see is blue sky :)

toria (vikz writes) (victoriavikzwrites) Veronica wrote: "POLL IS UP
http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/56..."

Thanks V.

message 13: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments I don't mind not having a vote, but I do like having more notice. Thanks, Veronica.

message 14: by JRush (new)

JRush | 64 comments This will be my first read with the group and I like the idea of voting on the pick. It also gives me some more books to put into my to-read list, they are all new to me!

message 15: by Tamahome (new)

message 16: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Andrew wrote: "A balmy 24 degrees here in Oz with a high of 30 due. Mist?."

24 degrees in civilized units, or that pagan "centigrade" crap?

message 17: by Nevan (new)

Nevan | 143 comments Veronica wrote: "You guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!"

Go the Berlusconi route: Decisions made at breakneck speed, fuelled by a cornucopia of booze, and garnished with a splash of democracy.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Sean wrote: "Andrew wrote: "A balmy 24 degrees here in Oz with a high of 30 due. Mist?."

24 degrees in civilized units, or that pagan "centigrade" crap?"

pagan? yes because old imperial measurements are so great.

24C.. though 30C+ where I am now which unfortunately isn't the beach.

message 19: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Hmm, an episode named after one of my posts ... and it has to involve elephant poo.

(And yes, elephant dung paper is real, but the part about it being used for 1Q84 is totally made up -- though it would make a great urban legend.)

Andrew wrote: "pagan? yes because old imperial measurements are so great."

Kilometers make more sense than miles, and liters are better than cups and gallons, but centigrade is a horrible measure for everyday temperatures. Fahrenheit designed his system so 0 was the coldest it gets during a typical winter, and 100 the hottest in summer, and the gradation is fine enough that a one degree change is just perceptible to humans. Celcius, by contrast, compresses the temperatures of our ordinary environment into half the space, so that a change of one degree is huge. For everyday use, Fahrenheit is better.

message 20: by Andrew (last edited Nov 08, 2011 07:55PM) (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments ..but think of the childern Sean. Freezing point 32, and boiling point 212.. what rubbish is that :)

Anyway *1.8 + 32 and she'll be right ;)

message 21: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Veronica wrote: "You guys! I can't win with you lately! First you want more notice when a new book is coming, then you want a vote, then you want me drunk for the entire podcast?! What's a girl to do!"

It's ok, I still think you're great!

Screw democracy! ;)

And I too think that the extra time allowed for the last book plus the notification is going well. :)

Note I still haven't actually listened to this episode...

message 22: by Gregory (new)

Gregory Lynn (gregory_lynn) Van Lingle Mungo is not just a ballplayer but Dave Frishberg wrote a song where the lyrics are nothing but player names and he called it Van Lingle Mungo

Y'all should check it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKzobT...

message 23: by Kris (last edited Nov 09, 2011 12:29AM) (new)

Kris (kvolk) good show V and T and I look forward to some kind of wrap up for Reamde. You guys made some great points about the book so far and would love to hear more...definitely bring Patrick on if you can...be fun to hear all three of you talk about the book.

Non drinking show is just as good as the drinking version....I think you should alternate....

message 24: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:50AM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3489 comments Mod
One of the books mentioned in the Calendar section is not entirely new.
Michael J. Sullivan's Theft of Swords combines 2 previously released books
The Crown Conspiracy & Avempartha

This will be followed up in December by Rise of Empire
Which combines previously released books Nyphron Rising & The Emerald Storm

The series will be completed in January by Heir of Novron
Which combines previously released book Wintertide and the only new addition to the series Percepliquis

I have read The Crown Conspiracy , enjoyed it and tried to buy the remaining books.
Only to find that they had been pulled from the Kindle store, due to this new set of books coming out from a different publisher to the original books.

So I am looking forward to these books, even though I have already read the first half of Theft of Swords

An interesting fact is that The Crown Conspiracy was available for free last year at podiobooks.com. So hopefully Michael J. Sullivan can have success and show giving your work away for free initially can lead to commercial success later on.

message 25: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments David wrote: "One of the books mentioned in the Calendar section is not entirely new.
[book:The Crown..."

Yeah, I am really looking forward to that final book. I'm one of those people who was faithfully buying the books when they came out and was a bit sad when after the 5th book, it was announced that he had signed with Orbit and Percepliquis wasn't going to be out as planned last February.

Orbit was nice enough though, to let him release a copy of just that volume this coming January, which I already have preordered. :) I would have broken and bought the Heir of Novron to find out what happens in the second half, but I'm happier to complete my 6-volume set instead.

message 26: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Amy wrote: "David wrote: "One of the books mentioned in the Calendar section is not entirely new.
[..."

Amy and David, thanks for clearing that up, I was confused about when Percepliqis was coming out.
Amy, can you tell me how to order that last book please? where have you pre ordered from? I too have bought and read the previous five from the kindle store and would like to buy just the last volume if possible.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy Pilkington | 104 comments Noel wrote: "Amy wrote: "David wrote: "One of the books mentioned in the Calendar section is not entirely new.
Michael J. Sullivan's Theft of Swords combines 2 previously relea..."

:) It's set to release Jan 31/2012.

It's actually just up on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Percepliquis-eb...

message 28: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Thanks very much Amy. Unfortunately, I live in the UK and it is not available in the UK kindle store. Even the Heir of Novron is only available for pre order in dead tree format. Sigh........

message 29: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1145 comments Mod
I still don't understand "more" notice. If we gave you notice earlier, couldn't you just still ask that it have been even earlier than that? The notice is given and then you have it. How can you possibly give more?

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Tom wrote: "I still don't understand "more" notice. If we gave you notice earlier, couldn't you just still ask that it have been even earlier than that? The notice is given and then you have it. How can you p..."

I'm just guessing but I'm betting the people asking for more notice are lending the books from the library and the library probably has at least a month long waiting list on most of those books. A month notice on the next reading selection is quite a lot of advanced notice time. I'm lucky in that I have enough extra money in my budget I can buy a book I can't borrow within a reasonable amount of time (thinking 2 weeks here) from the library.

Oh and I have a question for Tom, did I hear right? Did Tom say he'd not finished Reamde yet? Cause I see a 4 star review already for Tom on Reamde. I guess its possible while reading a novel to know you are going to like it no matter how it ends.

My problems with Reamde started soon enough I felt I had to read through till the end before saying I wasn't fond of the book. I love the side stories Stephenson put in the book but when I read a 600+ page novel I expect a better more engaging main plot which I didn't feel was there with this book. Just because Jone was a black Welshman didn't make the character interesting to me. He didn't do much outside what I would expect from a terrorist in this sort of plot. Stephenson didn't (in my opinion ) bring anything new to the Jones type of character.

message 31: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Ha, you caught me. I accidentally fat fingered the start rating when managing my list on the iPhone and I can't figure out how to un-star it. So I gavce it 4 for now. I'm 90% done so figure it won't change much, but we'll see.

My point about notice is, how is it possible to give a month out notice? Once we announce the book, that's the notice. It's not like people can't start reading right then. So any notice we give is the notice. It can never be a month ahead because of the nature of the fact that you now know it's the book.

What I've said in another thread on this point is that people relying on libraries need to know an end date. A date at which they know we'll be wrapping up so they can determine if they have enough time to get the book and finish it. But once we announce a book, it's not like people all politely wait for a starting gun. That's the nature of the internet.

message 32: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I don't want to stir the pot at all but I would like to offer a different perspective.

The book club at my local library picks all the books for the entire year every June so everyone in the book club has a full year's notice for every book. This being on the internet makes it slightly different but the premise is still the same.

The whole point of a book club is to read and discuss a book together at the same time, but even if people read ahead they can still discuss the book when the time comes. If you don't even have the book yet when the discussion starts you're basically out of the conversation.

It might not even be that you can't get the book on time, it could be you're reading another book and would like to finish it before starting another or whatever other possibilities there could be for not being ready when the book is started.

I don't want to come across like I'm complaining, I know you guys put alot into the podcast and I truly appreciate it. I just wanted you to be aware that it's possible for people to be excluded even when they don't want to be. It has only happened to me once since I joined but I'm guessing it must have happened to other people as well.

message 33: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Does your book club have 3,545 members though? The problem is about scale with this club some one will always be left out no matter what is done. I like the free form join when you can comment as you may style. Makes for more interesting interactions and out of the blue comments which keeps it fresh and fun...just my two cents...

message 34: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments But don't you think scale would just magnify the problem? Even if only 5% of people can't get the book before it's wrapped up that's 177.25 people. I guess it doesn't really matter, the boards are still there and people can still post.

message 35: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) I do think scale does magnify the issue....price of success...

message 36: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments There are a lot of book clubs that function along the lines that Boots describe, a lot of groups on goodreads will eg vote on their November book in September, or even earlier.

But what I like about Sword and Laser is that it doesn't work like that. It's looser, low pressured and in some ways, more fun. And, on the flip side, whe groups that give a lot of notice tend to be 'stricter' on how long before they move on to the next book. And I'm sure that leaves some people struggling to stay caught up sometimes. Them's the breaks.

Anyway we can all skip books or read them when we feel like it (I skip books all the time, I only finished Mists of Avalon last week, which was a pick over a year ago) but Tom and Veronica do have to read everything we pick, so we should give them some leeway with how they organize the picks. (The last thing we want is for them to take their ball and go home).

message 37: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Que Sera, Sera

message 38: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Sorry who brought up wanting more notice? Couldn't quite follow who Tom was replying to.

Anyway I agree with Tom in essence, what I think the contention may be however is the element of discussions not starting formally until the set time. I think it is more this element of feeling that the conversation is perhaps starting without you for those who are unable to get a book straight away.

Anyhow, as I said I'm unsure how we got back on this.

message 39: by Brad Theado (new)

Brad Theado | 217 comments I guess I am in the minority that wished we read faster and more. I think we should just keep going the way we are and if you cant get the book read the summaries later. No way are we going to have a pace that works for everyone.

message 40: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom and Boots both bring up good points regarding want to join in the conversation, but my point remains once we announce a book, everyone isn't going to be good little clubbers and hold off discussion until the appointed time. And we like that. We love that splinter groups in here pick books of their own and go off on their own to discuss them. I've discovered great books that way!

So I say again, once we ever announce a book, that's it. The discussion begins. The only thing we can do to accommodate people who lag behind in getting the book, is try to give enough time before we wrap it up. And that's something we can schedule without "faking it" And I think that would help this. But even of we picked every book for the rest of the year, the discussions here will start from that day. So to me that would be faking it. I feel what we're doing is more honest and free-form than that. And I'm glad some of you love that.

All that said, I don't want to be insensitive to folks who need extra time to get the book. So we'll definitely take that into account and set some time limits for wrap-up accordingly. And if we do that right, I think everyone should be able to get out of this club what the need.

Sound fair?

message 41: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Tom wrote: "Sound fair?"

Works for me Tom. As you said if we're sensitive to those who may need time to get onboard I don't see an issue.

message 42: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) best book club....ever....

message 43: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Looks like Elantris won the poll.

message 44: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments terpkristin wrote: "I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)"
Which one did you want?

message 46: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments terpkristin wrote: "I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)"

I've just started the book and I'm liking it already. Crossing my fingers it stays that way.

message 47: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Jenny wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)"
Which one did you want?"

I was really pulling for Tad Williams. I have read a good bit of Sanderson and was looking forward to a reason to get into a new (to me) author. Plus, I kinda feel like we were "promised" some Tad Williams when they interviewed him. Oh well. I'll still read along.

message 48: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments terpkristin wrote: "Jenny wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)"
Which one did you want?"

I was really pulling for Tad Williams. I have read a good bit of Sanderson and was looking forward to a..."

You can always do 1Q84 instead.

message 49: by Nick (last edited Nov 13, 2011 06:56AM) (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Sean wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Jenny wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "I has a sad. Screw democracy! ;)"
Which one did you want?"

I was really pulling for Tad Williams. I have read a good bit of Sanderson and was ..."

Or 1Q84 on audible and Elantris on Kindle. Who needs a social life!?

message 50: by Tamahome (new)

« previous 1