Yoga Folks discussion

Living Your Yoga book discussion > Living Your Yoga part one--last 3 chapters

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meryl (new)

Meryl Landau (meryldavidslandau) | 807 comments Mod
Ok. So I just typed all of this out and when I hit "post," Goodreads froze and I lost it all. That, combined with my car battery dying yesterday when I was leaving the post office, is obviously a test from the universe to see if I can live my yoga! So I have taken several deep breaths and am reposting my questions with appreciation and love for Goodreads, which has brought all of us together! :)

As always, answer only what you like, add your own questions and answers, and do come back to keep the discussion going.

1) Chapter 5--Faith: Do you have faith that your yoga practice will bring you where you want to be? And where, in fact, do you want to be?

2) Judith writes, "Faith is a recipe made up of part trust in ourselves, part experience of life working out, and part intuitive connection with the divine." Which part(s) do you have the most trouble with?

3) One of her mantras is "I have faith in my willingness to have faith." Does this work for you? Any others on her list (or your own) you prefer?

4) Chapter 6--perspective: [I accidentally answered this question in the prior thread.-sorry.] Judith wisely writes, "Enlightenment, in fact, is nothing more and nothing less than a radical change of perspective." What does this mean to you? How do you put it into action on a daily basis?

5) Judith tells the wonderful parable about the overwhelmed man who goes to the rabbi complaining of the small house, the wife and kids and MIL and animals that live there. The rabbi tells him to buy a goat, which he does. Even more overwhelmed, he confronts the rabbi again, who now tells him to sell the goat. When he does, bringing him back to his starting place, he feels so much better. How can you "sell the goat" in your own life?

6) Judith advocates the practice (which I confess is one of my top spiritual practices) of making an appreciation list. Do you do this? Why do you think it's so powerful?

7) Chapter 7--courage: How can you tell the difference between needing more courage to do something in a frightening situation versus honoring your reticence as a message from your higher self?

8) Judith advocates doing a yoga pose that frightens you (such as handstand) a little bit each day. Have you tried this? Do you feel more courageous in doing so?

9) One of her daily mantras here is "Living fully in each moment is a radical form of courage." Do you agree? Or do you think, in some ways, that living fully in each moment obviates the need for courage?

Meryl Davids Landau

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Meryl wrote: "Ok. So I just typed all of this out and when I hit "post," Goodreads froze and I lost it all. That, combined with my car battery dying yesterday when I was leaving the post office, is obviously a t..."

Meryl, I just got done reading your post from the last thread, and now this one. You sure are being tested these past few days, lol! I'm glad you're able to put Living Your Yoga to the test. From all of the comments on this book, and all of the wonderful questions you are posting, I think I am going to order it. It sounds wonderful.

The things that have been happening to you really rub me the wrong way, lol! I am great in crisis situations, and can tolerate high stress events very well. It's the smaller things that have been happening to you, ie. a post disappearing, a dead car battery, that sends smoke out of my ears! :)

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments 6) Judith advocates the practice (which I confess is one of my top spiritual practices) of making an appreciation list. Do you do this? Why do you think it's so powerful?

I don't do this. As a matter of fact, when I answered this question on Meryl's Downward Dog Upward Fog website, I really had to think about what I appreciate. I am going to make the time to write at leat one thing a day that I appreciate, then look back on it for reflection, especially if I am having a bad day.

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments 1) Chapter 5--Faith: Do you have faith that your yoga practice will bring you where you want to be? And where, in fact, do you want to be?

Yes, I do believe my yoga practice will bring me where I want to be, but I don't know where that is yet, lol! I have many emotions going on since my mother's passing. I apologize if I mention her a lot in my posts. It is just that her death has altered my life.

This weekend, I will be attending a seminar at the Himalayan Institute called "Karma And Reincarnation: Reshaping Our Destiny." I am very excited about this! The speaker will be Pandit Rajmani Tigunait. This is the beginning of the HI year-long "group" meditation. They will be offering seminars to promote a world-wide healing movement. These seminars could not have come at a better time for me. I believe these seminars will help me live my yoga, strengthen my faith, and keep me on a spiritual path.

These are the seminars I will try to attend throughout the next year:

Karma And Reincarnation
Yoga To Balance The Extremes
Bringing Meditation Into Daily Life
The Mystery And Power of Mantra
Discover The Chakras
The Yoga of Fulfillment
Breath of Life
The Healing Art of Meditation

and more! (Julie does a happy dance, lol!)

message 5: by Meryl (last edited Nov 10, 2011 09:14AM) (new)

Julie wrote: "6) Judith advocates the practice (which I confess is one of my top spiritual practices) of making an appreciation list. Do you do this? Why do you think it's so powerful?

I don't do this. As a..."

Hi Julie:

I actually want to tie this to your previous post about easily losing it when the little things go wrong. (I am happy to report that in the last 24 hours I have not had another 'incident'!) I try to think of things I appreciate as much as possible throughout the day, but especially when one of those little challenges arises.

When I got to the yoga studio and they were closed the other day, after my momentary annoyance I started thinking about how much I enjoyed the yoga I did take in that studio, and how much I appreciated the owner for opening it up in the first place. When Goodreads made my long post of questions disappear, I shifted my focus to appreciating Goodreads itself, since it is the forum through which we are all brought together. To me the ability to shift my thinking to appreciation is one of the easiest ways that I can get over those trying moments and really live my yoga.

Still, it's best to start this practice when you are not so challenged. First thing in the morning or right before going to sleep, I find is easiest. I can always appreciate my delicious bed and pillow, Lol!

Meryl Davids Landau

message 6: by Meryl (new)

Julie wrote: "This weekend, I will be attending a seminar at the Himalayan Institute called "Karma And Reincarnation: Reshaping Our Destiny." I am very excited about this! The speaker will be Pandit Rajmani Tigunait. This is the beginning of the HI year-long "group" meditation. They will be offering seminars to promote a world-wide healing movement. ..."

Oooooh. All these workshops sound really great! How amazing that you live so close to the Himalayan Institute. I would say I'm jealous, but that wouldn't be "living my yoga," so I'll just say I hope you have a fabulous time there.

Please do report back on what you learn this weekend, especially anything that relates to living your yoga in your daily life.

Meryl Davids Landau

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Meryl,

Kudos to you for living your yoga in light of all those trying events! It is definitely the little annoyances of a day that can really test one's patience and ability to retain inner peace.

I had a couple stressful days myself of late. One (yesterday) I handled well -- breathing before I spoke, etc.; the day before, not so good. (I ended up snapping at several people and being impatient overall.) When I journaled last night, I caught myself writing all kinds of negative things that went wrong with my day (which isn't far from the stuff generally coming out of my mouth), but then i decided to try and write as many positives, or things i was grateful for. What a huge list! One can definitely choose whether to focus on the positive or the negative...which makes me all the more interested in learning to be better at detachment! Feels kind of like blood sugar...you want to avoid the extreme highs and lows and keep a nice, steady, balanced state, regardless of what IS. It's a choice, and one I often forget about! :-)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

7) Chapter 7--courage: How can you tell the difference between needing more courage to do something in a frightening situation versus honoring your reticence as a message from your higher self?

Wow. I've struggled with this for YEARS. And after having ignored or rationalized away some gut instincts and making some bad decisions as a result, I think the answer lies mostly in paying attention and continuously asking yourself "why?" I find that first explanations rarely get to the root of my fears in a way that helps me make sense of them.

Knowing what I value in life is also a big part of it for me. That way, if I know something violates my personal values, I know that's important to me and I can walk away, knowing that the fear was a warning about something that was not going to be good for me. A friend and I did some exercises around this a year or so ago, and it's proved helpful in more areas of my life than I expected.

message 9: by Meryl (new)

Jen wrote: "...(I ended up snapping at several people and being impatient overall.) When I journaled last night, I caught myself writing all kinds of negative things that went wrong with my day ...."

I don't think there's a person alive who doesn't "lose it" sometimes, including people we think of as highly spiritual. (I once took a week-long retreat with a spiritual "master" and the steam coming out of his ears when workers in the hall got really noisy during his talk was something to behold!) The main thing to look at (not just you, Jen, but all of us in those situations) is whether you thought some negative things about YOURSELF as a result. I think too often we criticize ourselves for not being as "spiritual" as we think we should be, and that just pushes us farther from the uplifted, spiritual direction we are aiming for. You've got to love and embrace yourself, failings and all, to really live your yoga (IMHO).

Kudos to you for shifting your comments in your journal to more positive ones!

Meryl Davids Landau

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

There's two ways I look at that. I lost it because of an ego-related concern: that I wasn't able to keep up with all the different tasks being asked of me all at once. Sometimes I think I should be super-human! :-) And then yes, there's the subsequent reprimand of having lost it and not feeling spiritual enough, which just adds another layer of negativity to the situation (and isn't helpful). I'm starting to recognize these things closer to "in the moment" than I used to, but not always.

Hopefully the Kripalu 200-hour teacher training--which I just found out I was accepted for and registered for next April--will help me grow even more!!!! (YES I'm EXCITED, CAN YOU TELL???! :-)

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Jen, congratulations! :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Julie!

message 13: by Meryl (new)

I'll add my congratulations, too! Taking yoga teacher training (which I did too many years ago for me to want to remember) was a life-altering experience for me. It will undoubtedly be for you as well.

Meryl Davids Landau

message 14: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 40 comments 6) Judith advocates the practice (which I confess is one of my top spiritual practices) of making an appreciation list. Do you do this? Why do you think it's so powerful?

I started an appreciation journal a few years back. For me, putting the words to paper is powerful, and I can go back and remind myself of all the good that has come into my life. I also include experiences that challenged me and today I am grateful for. Of course these experiences are noted in hindsight. When I am feeling like nothing is working for me, I will review my journal.

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris (krisg11) | 40 comments Julie wrote: "1) Chapter 5--Faith: Do you have faith that your yoga practice will bring you where you want to be? And where, in fact, do you want to be?

Yes, I do believe my yoga practice will bring me where..."

I think Yoga found me, first in movement and now in spirit. And like you Julie, I have faith that my yoga practice will bring me to where I want to be mentally and physically, but also prepare me for whatever is next.

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie (julie1014) | 195 comments Kris wrote: "6) Judith advocates the practice (which I confess is one of my top spiritual practices) of making an appreciation list. Do you do this? Why do you think it's so powerful?

I started an appreciat..."

Kris, I really like the idea of an appreciation journal. It must be interesting and wonderful to look back over the years!

message 17: by Meryl (new)

Kris, I also love the idea of an appreciation journal. I don't keep one at the moment, but some years ago I kept an appreciation list. My rule, which I read somewhere but can't remember exactly where, was that I could never repeat an item on the list. It was easy at first to appreciate my home, family, etc, and then I had to drill down deeper and deeper to keep the list going. It was a very uplifting practice--and now that you've reminded me of it I may start it again!

Meryl Davids Landau