Langley suckers discussion

Is Tom Clany a living legend ??

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shiv (new)

Shiv | 4 comments Mod
For spy thriller lovers, Tom Clancy is like a living legend. His novels encompass a wide field of genres and sub genres. Common themes are...
1. Military
2. Techno
3. International intrigue
4. Espionage
5. Intelligence Analysis
6. Action thrillers
7. Special forces personnel

his books are usually detailed to the teeth with excellent, well researched and first grade knowledge of the above mentioned fields.

Many writers made their careers imitating Clancy's style..

Although I haven't read his all books but I have them on my priority list.

message 2: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 3 comments Mr Clancy on his day was brilliant, but the shine has gone of his latest books. His character Jack Ryan's rise to President of the US of A was far fetch to say the least, but enjoyable none the less. RAINBOW SIX is my favourite Clancy tome, good storyline with Multi national Spec-ops team saving the day. Superb!

message 3: by Shiv (new)

Shiv | 4 comments Mod
ya u r ryt but nowdays He writes in collaboration and contributes very little to the book.
But He is writing class books since so many years.

message 4: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 3 comments Its a fact that his in-depth knowledge of Modern day weaponary and world politics has/had the American government contacting him for advice, however every dog has his day, but I am still searching for a worthy successor to his crown, we need a fictional voice out there to write about world affairs in thriller format, as sadly our government will tell us little.

message 5: by David (new)

David Nelms | 1 comments Gordon wrote: "Its a fact that his in-depth knowledge of Modern day weaponary and world politics has/had the American government contacting him for advice, however every dog has his day, but I am still searching ..."

I think Brad Thor and Vince Flynn come very close. They are in fact better now than the ghost writers that are banking on Clancy's name.

message 6: by Gordon (new)

Gordon | 3 comments Yes,Brad Thor,Vince Flynn are among my favourite Authors, but give a very NeoCon version of American Foreign Affairs, Alex Berenson lets you see it through less tinted RED, White and Blue spectacles. My search is for an Author who gives a "AS IT REALLY IS" story on the State of World Affairs, with no Home Country sentiment, to little is said in Print about, China, India and Iran. The search continues....

message 7: by Shiv (new)

Shiv | 4 comments Mod
sadly, the current situation in this regard is very hopeless... Although in the past we have seen a number of good writers, viz. carre, Greene, Forsyth.. Who wrote some good stuff but at present the only writer I can find worthy of Clancy crown is none other the man fghting with cancer and probably finishing his last novel... Vince Flynn has alwayz tried to give the facts as it is to the general public and he has immense knowledge of world affairs..

message 8: by Cameron (new)

Cameron McClellan | 2 comments I think clancy is a genius to come from a finachal background to write the type of novels he writes is authoral genius

message 9: by Samuel (new)

Samuel  | 9 comments Try Brad Taylor, former Delta Force Colonel who writes books which would make Forsyth proud

message 10: by Unknown (new)

Unknown Auther | 7 comments Damn straight he is.

message 11: by Unknown (new)

Unknown Auther | 7 comments For those of you that think Clancy is losing his touch, try this similar author: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DYV30MC

message 12: by Barry (new)

Barry Sierer | 5 comments I love Clancy's earlier work as well and as was sad to see it go downhill. I think his characters became more "black and white" which made them less interesting (among other things). I have a question for members of this group. Do you think that today's fiction audience prefers simpler and more black and white characters ?

message 13: by Unknown (new)

Unknown Auther | 7 comments I think they prefer more grey characters. Usually the antagonists have been scarred in some description and so, have some kind of justification for what they do.