The Secret Life of Bees The Secret Life of Bees discussion

Secret Life of Bees Book Review

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:46PM) (new) - added it

Sarah Flanigan This book completely exceeded my expectations. I loved every moment of reading "The Secret Life of Bees". I would recommend this book to everyone. This book took on a modern style of writing while being staged in an earlier 1960s. It was quite an enthralling read. This book portrays the very essence of racism. Some of the characters have a prejudice against the skin of others, while some have a different kind like Lily stereotyping all black people as uneducated and regular housekeepers. This relates to the real world as well. All around us we label and stereotype the people in which we see. Sue Monk Kidd's writing helps shine a light of getting over our prejudice mindset and focusing on the true beauty from within each other. This book relates to many works such as "The Awakening" by Kate Chopin. Kidd captivates her audience by telling a story that relates to us all and help us find what truly matters in the people in our lives; what comes from within.

message 2: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg I have to agree. I absolutely loved this book and I loved the movie, too.

Becky August is a very wise woman. I put post it notes in my copy where I loved her insight. Lots of post its for me! Great book-would read it again and again.

Lyla Bellatas I agree! I loved the book and the movie!

Jamie This is quite easily one of the best books I've read in a long time, and makes the cut for all-time favorites. The storytelling is beautiful, as are the characters and relationships between the characters. After reading _The Secret Life of Bees_, I really look forward to reading more by the author.

Carole A wonderful book, one to re- read!

Lisa Orchard I loved this book! I loved the strong women in it and I'm looking forward to reading more by this author!

Lynn This book in on my bookclub's top 10 - we ALL loved it. We even went to the movies together to see it when it came out. We were not fans of her other book thoughThe Mermaid Chair

K.B. Walker Like everyone, I also loved The Secret Life Of Bees but found The Mermaid Chair readable but disappointing.

message 10: by Cam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cam This book was my summer reading for my sophmore year of high school. It was a lot better than I thouht it was. The friend I borrowed it from who is a year older than me told me it was horrible...and I read it and was pleasantly suprised. A good read, easy to read, and not bad. Not what I expected for summer reading. :D

Kirby I was pretty disappointed with this book, actually...but I seem to be the minority in that.

Brenda Rock GFinished the book the other day, it was okay.

Valerie I loved both the book and the movie. I enjoyed the book better because I had the audiobook version. I could actually see the characters in my mind's eye. That made it more interesting because a lot of the storyline in the book was left out of the movie.

Elizabeth I HATED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to read it for English in 9th grade and didn't enjoy it. I like books that have action and adventure. This book had none of that.

Sparrow Mia I loved this book and recommended it to others.

message 16: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Orchard Elizabeth wrote: "I HATED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to read it for English in 9th grade and didn't enjoy it. I like books that have action and adventure. This book had none of that."

message 17: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Orchard Elizabeth, if you like action and adventure. Check out my YA novel "The Super Spies and the Cat Lady Killer." It's full of suspense and might just be right up your alley. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Spies-Lad...