College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 180 (180 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
so..i was thinking that..clearly there are other books we all have read and might want to discuss (other than our group reads)..so feel free to post threads about different books..

anywho..so Twilight. After much resistance..I have finally started reading it yesterday..and boy am I flying through it! I'm not done yet..i'm only like on page 300..but I'm liking it so far..it's entertaining..simple..etc..clearly not great literature..but i really do enjoy it..at least so far..unless she uses the world velvety again..i had my sister laughing today because i would flip out everytime she used velvety to describe edward's voice. thesaurus anybody?

so.. how many people have read it? How many people are still resisting reading it like I had? and what are your thoughts on it? (general of course..bc i haven't finished it yet. haha :) )

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am on on the final book. I like the series a lot. The only thing I got sick of was the constant description of when Bella looked into Edwards eyes.

message 3: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseynicole) told ya told ya told ya....its addicting. =)

message 4: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) =)

message 5: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseynicole) i loves twilight. haha

message 6: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments i read the whole series over the summer :) loved it.

message 7: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) That's what I did too. I read them each in a single night. I literally could not put them down.

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (kelseynicole) i read all of them as soon as they all came out. i knida stumbled upon twilight when it first came out and was hooked then..then i of course had to wait for the rest to come out, but when they did they were all read by the end of the day. lol

message 9: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I started reading them the day the last book came out and then spent like a week reading all of them and then....didn't read anything else for a month. My boyfriend got mad because he was out of town when I was reading them and I would call him to tell him what happened.
I love it and I am ashamed because...I'm 22. Haha. I got my best friend to read them and I thought she would think they were dumb and make fun of me for the rest of my life. Luckily, she loved them too!

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Kelsey!! You are back!!! :)
and you did tell me..you were right..i'm addicted..damn schoolwork..i can't finish reading until this weekend though!! i might try to sneak it in haha.

Justine..everytime someone asks me what i'm reading and i tell them what its about i feel slightly embarrassed because im 23..but i just don't care..because its so addicting! haha

i think i want to see the movie too..
is that bad?? :)

message 11: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
The age thing doesn't matter. My sister (35) bought them for my mom for her birthday (55) because she loved them so much. I also know of at least 2 ladies at work that were reading them, and they all have children around our ages.
So I stole (borrowed) my mom's copies and I read all 4 in a week. I may have to reread them, but I just wasn't won over like everyone else I have heard from. I am guessing it is because of the high pedestal everyone put them on, that they just didn't live up to it. They were okay, but nothing spectacular.
I did read the Host and enjoyed it more, but still not as gripping a sensation as the Twilight series has proven to be for everyone else.

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah..i've seen little girls of like 12 carrying the books around and heard older women on here talking about them..its not kind of like with harry potter..they were just for children..everyone was reading them!

message 13: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Okay, this morning at work (Barnes and Noble), this grandmother came in and told me that her grandson's girlfriend had sent him a long text about what she wanted him to be like. Apparently, she said that she wanted him to be exactly like Edward from Twilight, so the grandmother was buying the book for her grandson to read so he could please his girlfriend. Haha. Poor guy. Such unrealistic expectations.

message 14: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Just a warning...the author continues to use velvety to describe his voice.

message 15: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) Jamie...I'm going to see the movie. Like...the midnight showing.
I was wrong before. The most shameful part is the obsession: I read four different Twilight blogs and make sure to watch all the new videos and preordered the extreme companion or whatever that comes out in December. Oh, and preordered the soundtrack (the digital version that comes with extra songs) even though I don't really care about any of those bands, but I hear Paramore's Decode is pretty good?
It's a problem.

message 16: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ahh! i'm so sick of velvety! haha..but thanks for that warning Caiti!

Justine..ok I feel better now about wanting to see it!! :)

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:38AM) (new)

ahhh i finished it! so so bad of me to do that with all of the homework i have..looks like an all nighter for me!! haha oh well it was worth it..i just COULD NOT put it down!!

so..i loved it! I have to postpone starting new moon until my course work settles a little bit..because i know i will devour that one..and plus im so ready to start our group read!!

message 18: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) So happy for you!!! I know, you can be as reluctant as you want; it will just take over your life. Until you're done...

That's my warning. You're wise to wait.

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments i read this recently as well..i loved it..but i don't get what the hype is about..why girls dream about edward cullen all day and night. haha idk. it was a fast easy read though.

message 20: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) yay! congrats Jamie! glad you've finally joined the rest of us in the cult following :) I'm not going to get into talking about Twilight because I can literally go ON and ON, but just know this- I was hesitant to read them, especially since I'm in my 20s, but after getting into the first one I said 'the hell with it' and ate them all up and never looked back!
oh, ps- I'll be seeing the movie the day it comes out too- and i never see movies on opening day.

message 21: by April (new)

April | 39 comments Hahaha i'm in a creative writing class this semester and all the girls are going to see the movie Nov 20 at midnight when it premeires hahaha. We are all in our 20's...i'm the only one that has just started reading it. I am on like page 280 something but with all of my school readings and tests it's taking me a while. So I gotta get reading so I will finish in time!

message 22: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yayy! I'm so glad that I am not alone in wanting to go seeing it!! today on the radio they played the music from the trailer and i got soo excited haha

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I didn't really get into the Twilight series as much, but I did like them a lot. I'm like you, Ashley, it felt like a vacation for me when reading them. They were easy & fun to read. I've seen where a lot of people are re-reading them, but I don't think I'll do that. I wouldn't mind seeing the movie though. I always like to see how other people envision characters in books I've read.

message 24: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

lauren..i'm with you..i doubt i'll reread them. i just read it for the experience.

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha my boyfriend said HELLLL NO. luckily my sister and her friend want to go with me even though neither of them have read the book.

message 26: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Mine said YES! Grudgingly. But he won't see it at midnight. So I have all month to convince him... Or I can just see it the next day. I just like midnight releases a lot.

message 27: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) haha, my bf is going to see it with me, whether he likes it or not. for his sake, i won't go to the midnight showing, but i will be seeing it that weekend :) can't wait!!

message 28: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

ooh you guys are lucky..he won't even come with me at all..no matter what.

message 29: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha Anastasia. That's how my boyfriend is too. He goes to see a movie with me whether he likes it or not. But we have this thing going where if I make him see a movie, he makes me see a movie. So we're pretty fair about it. And I think we've both been pleasantly surprised by each others choices.

message 30: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) My boyfriend is threatening not to see it with me at all. I don't think it will hold up - he made me see Pineapple Express AND wouldn't go see Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 2. So he still owes me one...

message 31: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) i say start with the arm twisting first, ashley! ;)

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I didn't even bother to ask my bf. Hehe. I'll probably just wait til it comes out anyways.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i'm trying to think of some good ways i could bribe him. arm twisting will def come first..haha.

message 34: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
So I saw another trailer for the movie last night, and I think you all can push the action factor to the boyfriends. Sweeten the deal a bit.
I have on guy friend that his only reason for seeing some movies is because there is a cute girl in it. Not sure that would be the type of motivation to give a boy friend though.
Good luck all!

message 35: by Nuri (last edited Jan 30, 2009 08:19PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Oh, man. I hate being all elitist by myself. Am I seriously the only girl on the planet who was, at best, mildly repulsed and, at worst, desirous of ripping my eyes out? :(

It's so lonely in the "Twilight: I would more gladly endure a root canal" camp. :x;;

message 36: by Kelsey (last edited Jan 30, 2009 08:33PM) (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha. Aww. I really do seem to dislike Twilight more and more every day, but I think it's because I get so many freaking questions about it at work. It's constantly all I hear about from customers...so I'm over exposed to it or something and it's starting to get on my nerves. I don't think it really deserves all the hype. I thought it was a fun read, but I didn't think it was anything that special. (Don't hurt me!)

message 37: by Nuri (last edited Jan 30, 2009 08:37PM) (new)

Nuri (nools) | 145 comments Maybe that's why I hated it so much? I mean, I thought it was pretty bad, but the fact that it was SUPER hyped-up before I read it probably made it worse. What really upset me is the thought that for a lot of young girls in this country, this is the standard for all literature.

message 38: by Tahleen (last edited Feb 03, 2009 07:00PM) (new)

Tahleen I completely trump ALL of you for over-exposure to Twilight.

I work as a web monitor for a tween girls' website. I cannot get through five posts without a Twilight reference. Oh, AND I at B&N.

I've read them all and I hate them more and more each day. It actually gets to the point where I start to feel an unreasonable amount of rage every time someone says the like it. Bella is a TERRIBLE role model for young girls (she has no personality except in relation to Edward) and Edward himself is way too perfect. The only characters I actually liked were the werewolves and Charlie.

Whew! Sorry about that! Glad I'm not the only one out there though. :)

message 39: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments So Stephen King totally smack talked Stephanie Meyer today. "Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn," he said. "She's not very good." Uh oh. I can only imagine the rage that the tweens are going to feel when they hear about this...Stephen King better watch his back.

message 40: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Stephen King is now my hero.

message 41: by Paul (new)

Paul (themessenger) Tahleen wrote: "Stephen King is now my hero."

Finally someone else said it.

message 42: by Erin (new)

Erin Saved By Grace wrote: "

Apparently his works aren't popular like Meyer's, he's just really old and jealous, narrow-minded, wouldn't know a real book if it hit him in the face, he's riding the coattails of JK's and Mey..."

SBG I would totally respond with, "Don't take this the wrong way, but you need to get out of your reading bubble. Stephen King is one of the greatest horror writers in the world. He's not new and by no means is he 'riding the coat tails of the JK's and Meyer's success. He's watched them from when they were babes... He's an old fart compared to them." That's so disgusting... Oh and you might what to quote it next time cause I almost said that to you till I figured out you were just quoting. Slow moments...

Tahleen wrote: "I completely trump ALL of you for over-exposure to Twilight.

I work as a web monitor for a tween girls' website. I cannot get through five posts without a Twilight reference. Oh, AND I at B&N.

I'..."

I love you... She really doesn't have a personality. Though over exposure just finally got me to start reading. Now I can tear the book apart.

I have been ignoring this thread because I thought it was for Twilight! Is there anyone in here for it? Or where they all scared away? Perhaps I'll finally break down and lay it all out to why the books and the movie are poorly done.

The saddest thing I found was a few friends at college are into the hype of it. Though I also found they are all more immature. <---Not trying to sound rude. Just a fact that they aren't very grown up. I think I've found greatly the more mature the person is more the hype dies.

I will give the whole thing that it is kinda entertaining in a slightly cute way. None of it is so awful that I can't read or watch it. But as a critic of preternatural stories generally with a decent amount of romance (sexual or not), I find it a horribly written and produced story. <-- I think that might have sounded almost like a quote of some one else lol.

message 43: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Erin, thanks haha. I too am glad to have found allies on here. The thread started to just get everyone's opinions on it, I think, but I could no longer hold back. I have a bunch of friends who love Twilight, and I met a couple of girls a few days ago who said "that's a shame" when my professor and I said we hated it. I left before I would say something I would regret haha. I guess the more exposure I have to it, the more I hate it. By the way, did you read any of the sequels? Because they get a whole lot worse (at least I think so).

message 44: by Erin (new)

Erin I have one sitting on my book shelf that I'm going to start reading soon. College and all is holding me back a bit on that. Plus, if you check out my currently reading list I think its still floating around 5 or 6 books... I really need to get it down. Plus, I promised a friend a drawing of her dog and I still haven't done it. Her birthday is next friday so I'm hoping to get it done by then. I'm going out and buying a few frames so I can frame it and my other friend's picture of her horse I drew. I can't wait to start reading it though. The more I read the more I can review on. I've actually had an idea of putting together some of those super natural books. Like the ones on fairies and what not. The lore books, but with a bit more towards writing and studying the story. I like reviewing books.

message 45: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen Let me know how that goes, I'd be interested to hear what you come up with. Right now I'm doing something similar with vampire teen lit for an independent project.

message 46: by Erin (new)

Erin You'll have to keep talking to me for like 40 yrs. Its not a project that is to be started any time soon. I still got a lot of books ahead of me to read.

message 47: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I'm up for it if you are! haha

Good luck though, it sounds like something that will be worthwhile (if you have time of course).

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin Lol time what's that? I'm up for it!

message 49: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Well, I think this Twilight post started with people who love Twilight. I know a lot of girls really love Twilight in this group, which is completely fine. We all have our different tastes and opinions.

message 50: by Lorianne (new)

Lorianne (loriannewatts) I love it.

BUT.

I love it because it's something to read where I DON'T have to focus and be swept away by the oh-so-precise and so-called "perfect" writing of the author.

It is what it is, and it is a light, fun, careless read.

« previous 1 3 4