readers advisory for all discussion

The Old Man and the Sea
This topic is about The Old Man and the Sea
so ask already!!! > all the hemmingway

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments 2 years ago i studied hemingway's old man and the sea for gcse english lit and HATED it: the dull, sterile story, the 2d characters, the idiotic narration and the absurdly tedious pace

somehow though, i see that hemingway is an important valuable american figure who should apparently be celbrated for his work.

so... i am willing to give him another shot but don't know which i should begin with. Preferably whatever is his antithesis to the old man and the sea, and maybe something like Fitzgerald and Faulkner who I adore. Please can someone make a few suggestions.

Thanks in advance x

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments For Whom the Bell Tolls is actually my least favorite because I think it's pretty self-indulgent. But maybe you will like it.

I would say A Farewell to Arms because I think it is like For Whom, but edited better.

message 3: by Christy (new) - added it

Christy (christymtidwell) | 149 comments There's also short fiction to consider. I've always loved "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber" and "A Clean Well-Lighted Place," for instance.

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments Ooo, I love the Short Happy Life, too. But, I love almost all Hemingway, so I might not be a good judge.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 33 comments Why don't you try A Moveable Feast. It's semi-autobiographical and it's about Hemingway and Fitzgerald as they hang out in France during the 20s, I believe. It's an easy read too.

message 6: by Rhiannon (last edited Nov 09, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Rhiannon (hellomynameisbook) | 33 comments What about The Sun Also Rises? It's short. It's got the ex-pats in Paris. There's parties and drinking and bullfights, and the unspoken trauma of a guy with a dick-injury. Plus, it's his first novel. Can't think of a better re-starting point.

I went to the Hemingway Archives @ the JFK library (Boston, MA) a couple of years ago with a class, and we got to see all the Opening Chapter first drafts of The Sun Also Rises that Hemingway wrote. It was a really fascinating exercise, to be honest, because it truly showed the careful attention that he put into his work. I was really surprised at how much respect I had for Hemingway's style after reading The Sun Also Rises and the archives.

message 7: by Meredith (last edited Nov 09, 2011 04:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meredith Holley (meredithholley) | 194 comments hahaha! Now I think we've listed all of his major works.

Sun Also Rises is my favorite, but I was worried that it is too similar to Old Man and the Sea in being more character driven than plot driven.