Terminalcoffee discussion

Help! I Need Help! > Laptop or iPad?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

I want a nice Christmas present this year. In a house of 4, I rank 4th in line for access to our computer. I have had enough already. So what should I ask for, a laptop or an iPad? I really want it so I can access goodreads (a lot), answer emails, do a bit of web-surfing...not too much else.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Do you have both?

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments The I-Pad sounds like it will cover your needs. I have a lap top and my spouse the I-Pad and a lap top. He prefers the pad, especially when traveling because it's much easier to carry, store and access on the fly then his lap top. And, since he found he can access his work manuals with hyperlinks, it's even more useful.I prefer my lap top (I use it for school) but I would prefer the I-Pad if I was surfing the web, reading e-books and other such activities. It's small, versatile and so handy.

IMO. :-0

message 4: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I don't have a an iPad, but that's what I would get for the activities you mentioned.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

The thing that worries me about the ipad is that a friend of mine doesn't like accessing GR with it. Does anyone else have this as an issue?

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ipads are dumb.

message 7: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments yeah!!!

I saw someone trying to type on their ipad at a seminar last month and it looked really slow and difficult. I sometimes post on gr from my phone but I don't like to because I need my keyboard to really get it all out, you know?

message 8: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments Also ipads are dumb.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Smetchie it is the typing that worries me. I access GR through my phone but my phone has a keyboard. I've never owned a gadget with the touch key pads. I wonder if it is just familiarity? Where is Kevin? He was the big iPad supporter. I wonder if he still is.

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I have to support users that have laptops and Ipads.
Both have high negatives.

Laptops are big and slow. chargers get lost, screens get broken, keyboards and touchpads wear out.
Ipads are a pain. The touch screens suck, and wear out fast. They cost WAY too much for what you get.

I have a 10 inch netbook that use use quite a lot, cheap, fast, portable and no stupid touch screen. Its cheap enough that if it breaks its no big deal.

message 11: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Don't count out other tablets. You might like the Android system, so check that out. I have a Galaxy Tab (the smaller version) and I love it. There's a larger version that might be more suited for you.

message 12: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments Beta wrote: "Smetchie it is the typing that worries me. I access GR through my phone but my phone has a keyboard. I've never owned a gadget with the touch key pads. I wonder if it is just familiarity? Where is ..."

Touch pads take a bit of getting used to, but once you are, they are very handy and just as easy to type on as a regular key pad.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) I have a netbook that I travel with. I find it hard to use the keyboard for any length of time but it is great for internet access when traveling.

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments We travel with a netbook and an iPad. Typing on the iPad is difficult and slow. I manage to hit the wrong keys more than I should, especially those near the edge of the screen. One big plus for the iPad is internet access (3G) without WiFi.

For typing-intensive tasks I'll take the netbook (you could buy two of them for the cost of one iPad).

For games, fun and occasional web stuff I'd go iPad.

message 15: by Laurin (new)

Laurin (laurinlooloo) | 1867 comments Barb wrote: "As for surfing the internet ...
Do iPads run flash yet? If not, you miss a good portion of the internet you're surfing."

I'm about 99% sure that iPads (and all of Apple for that matter) doesn't support flash. And I'm also about 99% sure that Android tablets do.

message 16: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments 100% sure that the iPad does not support flash.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (last edited Nov 08, 2011 11:37AM) (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yes, I see what Dutch is saying. I just don't see the need for an Ipad if I've got a laptop.

message 18: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I'm going to buy something soon and it will NOT be an iPad.

message 19: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments My laptop is a work asset, so when I finally get out of this place and have to hand my computer in, I might get a tablet but I don't think it will be an iPad. I'm curious about the Kindle Fire (and it's much cheaper.)

message 20: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11627 comments RandomAnthony wrote: "Yes, I see what Dutch is saying. I just don't see the need for an Ipad if I've got a laptop."

You haven't seen the cool apps. I love playing Moonlight Mahjong, which is not possible on a laptop. Angry Birds is fun for a while, too.

message 21: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I love the mahjong on my phone because its not timed. I hate timed things!!! They stress me out!

message 22: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 08, 2011 03:08PM) (new)

What is a tablet pc?

::runs off to do a little research::

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Some of the tablet pc's come with a keyboard to give you the choice.

message 24: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Dutch wrote: "I'm old-fashioned. I like a keyboard. I don't want to waste two years of typing class to poke at a tablet."

Yes, I know some people who have a keyboard they attach to their Ipods. That confuses me. But maybe I just haven't played with a (dumb) Ipad enough.

message 25: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) While I love my iPad, it's more of a toy. Typing is slow and perhaps the biggest drawback. I can understand why people want to use a keyboard with it. My choice for a tool would be a laptop.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments i have an ipad and a mac laptop and an iphone. i use all three and each has a useful purpose. seems basically you can do do most of the same things on all three with the exception being not being able to run full programs on anything except the macbook. that being said, you are running only applets on the mobile devices that do not give you full program feature use (try doing something complex on the Photoshop app). you do get used to typing on the touch screen keyboards and while you are prob not going to type 60wpm it generally works (i did once read a story of a lady writing a whole book on a cell phone in asia once). overall computing experience and features a desktop (iMac) is best followed by laptop, tablet and then phone based on mobility needs and overall swag (the last two being the highest swag factor)

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments iKnow

message 28: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zu has an iPad that she adores, but she doesn't write much. She uses it for games and movies and music.

If you write much, I'd probably go for the laptop.

message 29: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I'm sure he just did that as an homage to Apple, not to please Sally.

message 30: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments iVomit

message 31: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments wait, that is what the Shift key is for?

message 32: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I think we should make him change his name to iKev.

message 33: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1058 comments iLove my Apple stuff too. I don’t have an iPad (yet) but I’m pining for one. I simply can’t justify the expenditure at this point.

But I’d still go for the laptop if you want your own computer- I think you’ll get more use out of it. iPads are just toys, really.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks everyone. The discussion has been most helpful. At this time, I think a laptop will be the best option.

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Good luck, Gabby.

message 36: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Yay Gabby, how fun!