Conan of Cimmeria discussion

A New Group

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
Welcome.

This group is dedicated to Conan, the greatest fantasy hero EVER!

Since you're here, I'll assume that you know who Conan is, and won't bother explaining that part.

I'll tell you a little about myself, instead. As a child, I occasionally read the Marvel comics series, but I wouldn't say I was actually a "fan", just an occasional reader. While I was in high school, I read my first Conan book, "Conan the Wanderer", and I was immediately hooked. From then on, I have read every Conan book I could get my hands on.

Q. Who is my favorite Conan author? Robert E. Howard, obviously, but L. Sprague De Camp is a close second.

Q. What is my favorite Conan story? "The People of the Black Circle", by Robert E. Howard.

Q. What about the movies? "Conan the Barbarian" was pretty good, but it didn't do justice to the books. "Conan the Destroyer" was something of a disappointment. The less said about "Red Sonja" the better. I have high hopes for "Red Nails", but it appears to have hit a brick wall; if it is ever released, I will go see it.

Q. And the TV show? I never saw a complete episode, but what I saw looked pretty stupid.

Q. Any Conan books that I didn't like? The most recent one that I read, and I don't even remember the title, had Conan joining a travelling circus, then becoming a voluntary gladiator. Pretty lame, if you ask me.

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Have you ever played Hyborian War?

message 3: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
Welcome to the group.

No, I have never played Hyborian War.

I am not actually familiar with it; is it a computer game?

For the most part I am not much of a computer gamer. There is a fairly new Conan game available, but my computer is too old, and right now I can't really justify the expense of upgrading.

message 4: by Brad (new)

Brad (judekyle) Hyborian War is this old play-by-mail game that is actually kind of a blast. It is still played slow time. You get an envelope every couple of weeks with your kingdom report that covers your court, your military and your economics. You play one of the nations of Conan's Hyboria, and you can even have Conan drop into you court and offer his services. It's the only time you're actually guaranteed to have your plans work out without a hitch. I played for a long time years ago, and only recently got them to send me a new kingdom start up. I've been thinking of playing again.

message 5: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
OK. Now I know what you are talking about.

In the late 80s my room mate played it. He and I would occasionally talk about his kingdom and what was going on in it.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Well met, everyone.

As much as I absolutely adore the work of Howard, I'm glad there's a group dedicated to the entire Conan universe.

Favorite Conan story, without question, is Queen of the Black Coast. I have yet to read many of the pastiche novels, though I highly doubt any of them can touch the original stories (though I'll still enjoy reading them).

message 7: by Colin (new)

Colin | 15 comments Mod
Queen of the Black Coast was awesome.

In general, I liked Howard's stories better than the pastiches, but, like you said, I still enjoy reading them.

I also liked some of de Camp's reworkings of Howard's material. The Flame Knife is one of my all-time favorite "Conan" stories.