Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Military Stories in Honor of Veteran's Day

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JanetTronstad (new)

JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2759 comments Mod
Every year when Veteran's Day comes, I like to spend a few moments thinking about the men and women who have served in the military of our country. The debt we owe them is immeasurable. So I'm asking if anyone has a story to share. Either one you know of because it happened or a book that touched you with the story of a character.

message 2: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm going to begin the thread with something my friend, David, shared with me (he is the one who did the music to my lyrics for my tribute to Dry Creek song). He was a paratrooper in Vietnam and told me once about how terrifying it was every time they jumped as the bullets being shot at them could be seen even at night, coming through the air at them. It was like being in a fish bowl with no place to hide.

message 3: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
I will relate that my father was a WWII vet. He lost an arm and a lung in France. He participated in the second day wave of troops to Normandie. The carnage left on the beach from the first wave was horrible. God bless our soldiers and those who gave the last measure of devotion to our freedom.

Jenny, when do you honor vets down under?

message 4: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I was going to post yesterday but forgot. We have had plumbers here getting water back on fixing leaks etc.

We do have Remembrance day and I will wear a poppy. We also have ANZAC day thats the day we remember the sacrifice so many made for our freedom. thats April 25th and is on the day the ANZACS landed at Gallipolie. (sp)
But on remembrance day on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month we stop for a minutes silence. there are services at most war memorials and the laying of wreaths.

My great uncle on dads side died at Gallipolie and on mums side died in Austria during WW1.
Mum's brother and sister served in New Guinea, Dad was a Machine gunner based in Darwin, His brother, sister and brother inlaw were also in the war. 2 of mums brother in laws were in the war on a prisoner of war the other in the z force which was a spy force.

message 5: by JanetTronstad (new)

Your family made lots of sacrifices, Ausjenny. I'm glad you have traditions to honor them.

message 6: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments Thankfully all the ones in WW2 came home but the one that was a prisoner of war had issues for the rest of his life. I never met him or the one who was in the z force. I am glad we can honor them and each year there is more interest from younger generations.

message 7: by Carissa (new)

Carissa My great-great grandpa was in WWI thankfully he made it home alive. My grandpa was in Korea, a great Uncle was a Marine in Vietnam. My dad was a Marine who saw combat in Grenada and Desert Storm

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments I think I've told this story before about my Grandfather, but I shall tell it again! lol. He was a top gunner in WWII. Lost his hearing because of that. I remember hearing this story for the first time at his funeral. He never talked much about the days in the military unless we asked him about pictures and stuff. So when I heard this story, it made me proud of my grandfather. They were in the air in battle when something dropped on the floor. My grandfather reached down to pick it up and when he sat up there was a huge hole in the cockpit area where his head would have been. Shrapnel and stuff was flying around because they had just shot at his plan. That was the moment he knew He needed Jesus and that he had been saved from being hurt badly or dead.

I have a friend who was just sent over seas with the Navy Reserve and know several that have served in the Iraq war.

message 9: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Good morning, I had two brothers in the Korean war and also a brother in law in WW11, I have posted a pic on photos of memorial fixed recently in our small hometown to honor veterans, My maiden name is Cotton so you will see bricks for Bud and Ken Cotton along with brotherinlaw Albert Burden.
There are so many that have given their service and we tend to forget how much some gave.

message 10: by JanetTronstad (new)

I'm touched by how many of us have war veterans in our families. My father served in WWII -- I think that war was very different than wars of today (he remembered the bitter cold and not having enough to eat -- today I haven't heard that for the troops (which is good)).

message 11: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
All these stories are so interesting. When my mil passed away, she left my daughter the box of letters she and her husband wrote each other during the war. I think my daughter plans on archiving them and perhaps publishing them in the future.

message 12: by JanetTronstad (new)

Lyn -- letters like that are always so interesting to me. A slice of life in tense times.

message 13: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments there were letters found like that in Ga and a book written from them, cant remember the name now.

Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 909 comments My Dad's father who I never met was in WWII. My Great-Grandfathers on my Mom's side were also in WWII. All the stories I heard were when they were in Europe since at that time both sides of my family were living in Europe. I am the first one on my Dad's side to be born in America. My one Great-Grandfather actually fought on the German side. He didn't want to but the Nazis came into his house held a gun to his head and gave him the choice of fighting with them or being killed in front of his family. This Sunday my church is having a little bit of a different kind of service. Instead of a message my pastor is going to interview the WWII vets in our church.

message 15: by JanetTronstad (new)

Oh, Laura -- that's a wonderful idea for your church to do.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennafraugh) | 4102 comments We are doing special music for out Veterans at church sunday. My students at school wrote letters to Veterans today and it was so sweet. We are having a school program where all the veterans around the area can come participate. The kids are really excited!

message 17: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4955 comments I do remember hearing some of dads stories, they were not bad ones just some of the places he went. At one stage Dad had a photo in the paper. They were looking for human interest stories and Dad and another soldier had a contest who could grow the best mustache and keep it the longest, The other guys went long and he could twirl it dads went ginger and really bushy and he got the nickname Tojo (like in the general from Japan)

message 18: by Susan F (new)

Susan F | 147 comments I have a small wooden box that a WWII Navy man had decorated while on board ship. I think he pounded a nail into it to create the patterns. A carved drawing of a ship is in the center of the box. His wife gave it to me after he passed away as they had no children. It means a lot to me. I think one day I will donate it to a museum in our state. She was his war bride from England. They were very devoted to one another.

message 19: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments this is a wonderful story and sure this bx held special place in the war brides life, passing it on to a museum sounds like great idea SF.