Pittmanreads1 discussion

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
This topic is about The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games wk1

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ms.Pittman (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ms.Pittman | 3 comments Mod
In the first few chapters we are reading this week, we get to know the main character Katniss on her journey to The Hunger Games. How would you characterize Katniss? Why do you think she feels, acts, or thinks the way she does? Based on what you know about her so far, what do you think she will be like during the games?

Tierney | 3 comments I think Katniss is a very strong individual. Being able to support her family, raise her sister, and deal with the loss of a parent is not easy. She is very determined and I think this will show in the games.

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 1 comments Katniss is very strong minded and will go through almost anything to keep her family alive. Katniss acts the way she does because her father was killed and lives in a harsh enviroment, so she will do what she can in order to survive. During the games, she will will be very determined to last long and win, so she will get more sponsors.

message 4: by Nicolette (new) - added it

Nicolette Barker | 1 comments I completely agree with Aaron and Tierney. Katness is a very strong induvidual. She is headstrong, independent and determined, and I believe she acts the way she acts because her life hasn't exactly been the easiest. Dealing the the death of her father, supporting her family because her mother is unable to, and living in the harsh environment that she does can make a person act in certain ways, and I believe the survival skills she inherited from those things will reflect on her triumph in the game.

Nina (momolitious) | 3 comments I would characterize Katniss as 1) the "man" of the family. I say this because ever since her father died and her mother whent into a DEEP depression, Katniss was the one to get the food, get a job when her mother refused to. She took what her father had taught her and put it all to helping out her family.
2) Katniss is also like a mother in a way. Since her mother is kind of a recluse and barley gets out of bed and refuses to get a job, Katniss does everything in her power to make her and her sister Primrose look persentable so that to the government doesn't take them from thier mother. Durring the Hunger Games I think that she will come out on top of it all, giving that her past has made her strong not just physically but emotionally as well.

Christian  | 3 comments Tierney wrote: "I think Katniss is a very strong individual. Being able to support her family, raise her sister, and deal with the loss of a parent is not easy. She is very determined and I think this will show in..."

I completely agree with Tierney. Katniss is a very strong person considering how young she is and how much she went through already in life. I think that she acts and feels the way she does because of all her life experiences and how nobody else could have fed the rest of her family after her father died and after her mom went into a depression. Her determination to survive, raise her sister and at the same time take care of her own mom will completely show during the games. But at the same time, we saw a softer side of Katniss when she describes Prim. We see that she loves her sister so much, that Prim is like her weakness if she was used against Katniss. On page 45 in chapter three, Katniss describes a twelve-year-old girl from District 11. She says, "She has dark brown skin and eyes, but other than that, she's very like Prim in size and demeanor." Having this little girl in the same arena as Katniss might affect how she plays in the game. She might protect her since she reminds her of Prim or she might not kill her, even when she has the chance to. At the same time,this little girl's skills might be underestimated, she might be a great fighter despite her age.

message 7: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine (jasminediaz) | 3 comments Katniss may be an independent young woman, but she still has to support her family. She hunts to feed her sister and mother, who can't seem to get a job. Because of that long period of time when Katniss' mother completely ignored her and prim, Katniss has never been able to trust her mother, and Katniss' and her mother have sort of drifted apart, even when her mom finally opened up to them. That experience made her tougher mentally and somewhat physically, so during the Hunger Games, I think her toughness will outshine the rest of the fighters.

message 8: by Denise (new) - added it

Denise | 3 comments I would characterize Katniss as a courageous and responsible person, who is also family oriented. She's able to provide for her family and take full responsibility since her mother has neglected them. Katniss even takes Prim's place in the Hunger Games. She acts this way because she knows it's up to her to help her family survive. And I think she definitely has a chance at winning the games because of her determination.

message 9: by Rialle (new) - added it

Rialle Sarmiento | 3 comments From the frist few chapters, I would describe Katniss as a very strong person, who can overcome many obstacles since her dad died in the mines and she taking care of everyone in the family. She is very responsible for her actions and tries everything to food on her family's plate.
I believe that Katniss acts the way she does is because isnt around to care or guide them through life, so she had to figure out and learn things on her own. Having experience with a bow and knife for hunting, i think Katniss has a chance of surviving the games compared to the previous volunteers from District 12.

Janelle Samansky | 2 comments From the first few chapters we have read I think Katniss is a very strong and independent person. She has been able to overcome many different obstacles which have only made her stronger, and I think she will treat the games the same way. She knows what she must do in order to survive, so that will give her an advantage. She has a strong will and because of the promise she made to her sister I think she’s even more determined to win the Hunger Games.

message 11: by Drew (new) - rated it 4 stars

Drew Boteloo | 3 comments Katniss is a very strong and independent person. She is also determined because she is the one who has to provided food for her family. I think she acts like this because of her pass. Through her experiences with her fathers death she is now the head of the family. The way that Kantniss acts and how she is able to hunt on her own, I think that she will do very good in the Hunger Games.

Matthew Rapolla | 3 comments in the hunger games i find Katniss and Prim as co-protagonists. in the beginning i felt Katniss was, but when she became a tribute for Prim, it all changes. when she and peeta are with haymtich that showws a real turning point in the book. i got from it that the book was going to focus on those three characters.

Jocelyn Boucher | 2 comments I would characterize Katniss as a loyal, brave, and unforgiving person. I think she acts the way she does because she's decent. She fed her family and volunteered for Prim out of responsibility and love. During the games I think she will be successful and have many advantages over the other players because she has had to take risks, hunt, and fight to survive before. Katniss also doesn't have a problem going against the rules to live. She's a real fighter.

message 14: by Kris (new) - added it

Kris | 2 comments Drew wrote: "Katniss is a very strong and independent person. She is also determined because she is the one who has to provided food for her family. I think she acts like this because of her pass. Through her e..."

I agree with Drew that Katniss is a independent person. She is determined to do the hunger games because she is doing it for her sister and for her life. Based upon her skills with a weapon and survival, I believe that she will do well in the games.

message 15: by Krisha (new) - added it

Krisha Carpio | 3 comments I would characterize Katniss as a brave, scared, and an independent young lady, because towards the beginning of the book, she was willing to volunteer to sacrifice her life for Prim, her younger sibling who was chosen to fight in the games. I think she acts this way because she's afraid to lose her little sister, so he volunteers her life to keep her family safe. Based on what I've read so far I think Katniss, will start to venture out her fear, and to be more brave when the games start. I think that she's going to do whatever it takes to win and be the last one standing.

message 16: by Joyce (new) - added it

Joyce Leung I would characterize Katniss as a strong, brave and kind person. Even though her mother wasn't take care the family, she wasn't get mad with her mother and also be a man in the family. Her sister was chosen, but she replaced her to play the game in order to protect her. Although she was scared in her heart, she still showed brave in front of Prime so that Prime won't worry about her. I think she will win the games.

message 17: by Kyle (new) - added it

Kyle (Kylespsv) | 3 comments Drew wrote: "Katniss is a very strong and independent person. She is also determined because she is the one who has to provided food for her family. I think she acts like this because of her pass. Through her e..."

I agree with Drew i believe Katniss is a very strong individual. She shows she can depend on herself. I think she acts like this because of her past as well. Dealing with her father's death and basically putting her family on her back has made her a better person. Her survival skills will definitely help her in the hunger games. She knows exactly what she must to in order to overcome her opponents and come out victorious.

message 18: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Copp | 4 comments i think katniss is like tom boy in a way. think katniss is scared about being in the hunger games because she has watched them on T.V. before. katniss will make it far in the hunger games because she can hunt and can climb tress.

message 19: by Dominic (new) - added it

Dominic Chiabotti | 2 comments Kyle wrote: "Drew wrote: "Katniss is a very strong and independent person. She is also determined because she is the one who has to provided food for her family. I think she acts like this because of her pass. ..."

I agree with Kyle, having to support her family from such a young age definitely built character which I believe will help her in the games.