Charlaine Harris Book/Show Group discussion

Butthead Bill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 126 (126 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Bear in mind, I've only finished the first book of the series...

I keep seeing posts about people not liking Bill. Just curious what book I need to get to to find out why he's a butthead.

Thanks!

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 68 comments There are several books where different pieces of info come out that will make you mad at him. But the first real big time is Book #3. I actually really liked Bill until then.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Yeah, some things come out about Bill that some find less then endearing. But some readers still like Bill because he was sweet in the beginning. Never know, you might not think he's such a butthead.

message 4: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Thanks for the tips! I'll keep my eyes peeled in book three!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) | 182 comments I actually never liked Bill. He was just to blah for me. i started the series with Book 2 , So I didn't get the whole feel for their relationship, but even still Bill just always sucked to me.

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie I love Bill! First loves never die! (no pun intended)

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I agree Angie... I'm only up to book 4 but I'm totally rooting for Bill!

message 8: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (hornedfroggy) I was upset with him after I found some things out, but I still love Bill. Like Angie said above, first loves never die! ;)

message 9: by Amy (new)

Amy (ashz) | 25 comments I've always been hooked on Sam.

message 10: by Larissa (new)

Larissa Butthead Bill- I kinda like the ring to that! :) But I've never disliked him. I actually LIKED him taking her in the graveyard....

message 11: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Many thanks, all, for the comments and the Bill reassurances.

message 12: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Just like Edward and Jacob, you're either a Bill girl or an Eric girl. I think your opinion of Bill will change once you've read more of the books. Maybe not though. I never liked Bill very much. Too old fashioned, to blah...much like white toast when what I really want is pumpernickel.

Eric is dark and dangerous. Sexy and funny. Bill has no sense of humor or play. I can't stand that in a man. So boring.

message 13: by Becky (last edited Oct 30, 2008 12:47PM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Yes, but Eric is too much for my taste... I like Bill because he is the "strong, sexy and silent" type, but is still dangerous. He just doesn't walk around with neon signs advertising it. ;)

message 14: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I never really liked or disliked Bill. It was like okay, he's her man so deal with him.

And I totally disagree about first loves. That's the same thing people say about the first person to take your virginity. I hate my first time so right there, I know that's BS. If they were meant to be, they'll find their way back to each other. Otherwise, I am content with her moving on with her life and onto Eric. LOL

message 15: by April (new)

April | 26 comments I'm reading book 8 (From Dead to Worse) now. I was really hacked off at him for some of the things he's done...especially book 3...and later when Sookie finds out more of the picture.
I'm still rooting for Bill. I like Eric a lot. I really do, but I still want Sookie to end up with Bill. I think Bill really loves her and would do anything to be with her. I'm just waiting to see if he can find a way to redeem himself in her eyes. I wouldn't be upset if she ends up with Eric though. He's a lot of fun and also seems to really care about her.

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I was a fan of Bill at first, but it didn't last very long. He's too archaic and controlling.

I am most assuredly an Eric girl, just as I was always an Edward girl. I hope that she puts Sookie and Eric together!!

message 17: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (seabsmith) | 19 comments I am laffin at the name of the topic....I totally agree with Lori in message 12. Eric just has all those qualities in a man that I find endearing. Bill is just a fuddy duddy is the only way I can describe it. I rooted for Bill at first, but after he did that to her in Jackson with his creator, I could have killed him myself. I wouldn't have driven all the way back to Bon Temps with that a-hole in my trunk, I would have tied him to a lawn chair and put him on the roof of my car like Chevy Chase did with his Aunt in Vacation....LOL

There are just major sparks between Sookie and Eric, you gotta see it, the way he protects her, he even introduced her to her long lost grandfather. I am sorry dark and boring doesn't do it for me, I like em big, outgoing, and cute as hell.

message 18: by Pam (last edited Nov 03, 2008 07:38AM) (new)

Pam Ellegood (pelle) | 2 comments I am just now reading the books. I am only on the 1st one but I have watched the HBO series and I love Bill. He may seem very old fashioned but he also is very gentlemanlike and I believe he actually loves Sookie. Now Eric on the other hand seems like he is a butthead. He may be attractive to some people but he is very erogant and so full of himself. I guess I am into the personality of Bill's character though. but like I said I am only on book one. maybe I will feel diffently after catching up with everyone.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I didn't care for Book Bill from book 1. Melissa, I think "fuddy duddy" perfectly fits Book Bill. In my opinion, he is so dull in the books and doesn't fit with Sookie's personality at all. He comes across more as a father figure than a boyfriend.

However, HBO Bill is very appealing to me. Perhaps because he is played by an actor that is younger than I've pictured Book Bill to be. Plus, HBO Bill is pretty dang sexy when he isn't doing the creepy vampire imitation. Stephen Moyer has a great smile and is very charismatic.

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments You won't see Butthead Bill until later books. And even after that, you may be sympathetic to Bill's cause anyway. Some of us still root for him!

I agree about Eric being so arrogant. I find arrogance so unappealing that Eric never had an honest chance of being my favorite.

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments I have to defend Eric, haha. I feel bad for the guy. I mean he's been around for so long he sort of lost his humanity, but you get a glimpse of his true character when he lost his memory. He was such a sweetheart because he couldn't remember all the things that probably made him into an arrogant ass. I think that his arrogance is just his way of keeping people away from him.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I still can't like Eric over Bill. If anything, the fact that Eric's arrogance is an act makes me like him less. If that was just who he was, fine, but the fact that he ISN'T really that way makes him even more selfish and unlikable, in my opinion.

He has his decent moments, just like Bill has had his bad ones (although I still maintain that none of those - except maybe being a workaholic- were Bill's choice), but I think Eric isn't right for Sookie.

message 23: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I don't even understand Jacob lovers, Jess. We got Edward first. She loved Edward. WTF at Jacob even being an afterthought?

But back to the topic at hand..I'll admit, I do think Bill loves Sookie but I don't think she can trust him. Aside from the things that don't matter (his sideburns, he's boring, he has no power), he was an okay guy. I'm still not a Bill fan (maybe a tv Bill fan) but I just don't think he's her one.

message 24: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Melissa, I like them big, outgoing and cute as hell as well. I mean, her grandfather didn't ask Bill for help so that has to say something about Eric's character.

I think he's grown in this series because of what happened with him and Sookie when he lost his memory. I think he's learning from that experience and we'll see a different, kinder, gentler Eric in the future books. Not wimpy but different in a good way.

message 25: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Pam, I think you'll feel differently if Eric is your type of guy. I was a huge Edward fan (Twilight) and I'm an even bigger fan of Eric's because he changes throughout the series. He's an ass but I think you'll grow to love him and possibly dislike Bill. But we'll see. =)

message 26: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I don't think Eric is putting up a front. I think he's really that arrogant. He has reason to be and he has been around a really long time. He knows he's hot shit and that's kind of sexy to me. LOL.

I guess I like how he is with Sookie. I didn't like him at first (first book) but I knew he'd be a character that would grow on me. He was an asshole to everyone around him BUT Sookie. Because of her, he's changing in a way he doesn't understand. I'm too biased. I love the guy way too much to ever want her back with Bill.

message 27: by Lori (last edited Nov 04, 2008 08:26AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I don't think it's an act with Eric either. Eric has been around for a long time. That makes him jaded and arrogant. He's the sheriff and has a reputation to uphold. You can't maintain a position of power in the vampire community unless you're an arrogant ass. None of the other vamps would respect him if he gave an inkling that he was soft. I think it depends on what floats your boat. Like Ranata, I like the fact that he's confident, arrogant and so damn sexy I want to do wicked, wicked things to him. You know that underneath that bad ass exterior is a man who would love to make a deep connection with Sookie but fears that he'll appear soft. If he showed any weakness, for one minute, everyone one around him, including Sookie, would be in danger. I can't wait for the next book to see if he can come to terms with that.

message 28: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Maybe the arrogance IS something that he had to acquire over his lifetime, or whatever, and isn't an "act" per se. But even so, thats not his true nature.

In most things, it seems that Eric is so blunt and honest that he must be the real thing. But then, after seeing how worried and nervous he was when he realized that he had a big chunk of existence missing that he couldn't account for, and especially worried that he would have offered to give up everything to be with Sookie, I think that when Eric is by himself, hes a big sweetie. Yes, he has to be tough to be Sherriff, but that doesn't mean that's who he really, really is.

But... I still prefer Bill. :)

message 29: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) I really appreciate everyone's comments and thoughts. Many thanks!

Looks like I'll just have to keep reading (which I had planned to do anyway) and see if Eric grows on me and if Bill turns out of be a butthead in my opinion.

Keep the comments coming!

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Lori - I agree that Eric needs to be an arrogant ass for the vampire community to respect him. He's in a position of power and authority so obviously no one can think he has a weakness. And yet, he does have a weakness. He will do anything to protect Sookie, in my opinion of course. I can't remember which book it happened in, but Pam came to Sookie to tell her that Eric was acting not himself and it was because Sookie wasn't talking to him and wasn't telling him about those few days that he had lost his memory.

as much as people want to say he's an ass, and he is to almost everyone, he treats Sookie differently. and that's hot. :)

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) So true Jess and I loved that even Pam showed some humanity in her concern for Eric. The circle of people that Eric will allow to see his vulnerability may be small but it's there and it's irresistible to me.

message 32: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think it was book 7. Because Pam told her the story of how she was turned and what her and Eric's relationship was really about after she was turned..

It's like Jean-Claude in the Anita Blake series to me. He became head vampire in charge and he couldn't have the vamp community looking at him as being a softie because he couldn't "control" Anita.

Jess, I agree about him treating Sookie different and that's what's so hot about him. Well, part of it. I like my men hip and into me and only me. I can see him giving that to Sookie if she ever decided he was her choice.

message 33: by Pam (new)

Pam Ellegood (pelle) | 2 comments Ranata, I am also a HUGE Edward fan (Twilight)but I don't really think HE was arogant. I always thought he was actually vulnerable and wanted to keep Bella safe from himself and his kind. but back to topic. I do see Bill as being to old in mind for sookie and In the last episode I got a little better feeling about Eric when he promised sookie that he would turn the thief over to the authorities. but then he tries to rule over Bill and acts like he is pathetic because he doesn't want to leave Sookie to go to the Trimunal. Anyway If that is who she hooks up with next I do hope that I change my mind and like him.

message 34: by Gina (last edited Nov 05, 2008 04:28PM) (new)

Gina | 2 comments Do you book "fans" like how the show has strayed from the book? I mean Bill is a butthead, that is part of the real story line, but Bill stabbing Longshadow??? And going to a tribunal??? Oh, and if we are biting on that unbooklike storyline did you catch that Eric intentionally didn't "take care of buisness" like Butthead Bill asked him to? When they walk into Butthead's house Eric says he didn't do anything. I am assuming that maybe Eric may stand up for Butthead, but then again....maybe the minead scene will come while Bill is chained to silver for five years...:)

I have also been dreaming about how they are going to do Quinn. I know, it has to be between Bill and Eric, but Quinn was hot in the book. At least for a trist.

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 193 comments I don't care for the change they made to who killed longshadow. I can only assume they did so because Bill vanishing for a couple of episodes to go become someone more important in vamp-politics would mean less action and less chance to have Bill on screen naked LOL

message 36: by Brandy (new)

Brandy | 1 comments Ok, so i am just as smitten with Bill as Sookie is. I really like his character in the book, but absolutely LOVE HIM in the series. He is so sweet, sexy, charming, etc. Though i don't know how to feel about him after reading about all of his continuing betrayals to Sookie. I just love him for her though. Does anyone think that they may bring in another woman earlier in the series than they do in the book? I don't know but i cant wait to find out.

message 37: by Jess (new)

Jess | 116 comments Brandy - I think that the show has endless possibilities of what they are willing to do that the book does not. I mean, for all we know, something could have been happening in the book and we (as the reader) didn't know about it because Sookie didn't know about it.

that's creates many opportunities for the show to have things going on that the books don't.

message 38: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Edward was the complete opposite of Eric. He's not even like Bill. He's in a whole other catergory. LOL.

I hope you enjoy Eric once you really get to experience his presence in the series.

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) I think the changes in the show are okay. Some of them are outlandish (Bill stabbing Longshadow and the V storyline) but I'm looking forward to seeing how they'll explain these events in future episodes.

message 40: by Angie (new)

Angie I agree with Jess. Things could've been going on in other lives and there is no way we would've known in the books.

message 41: by Julia (new)

Julia | 58 comments I like Bill in the books and Bill on tv. Now, I have a swiss-cheese-with-huge-holes memory, and the last book I read was #8, but I've always thought Sookie needed to calm down and listen to what Bill said.

Or Sam.

Both men don't just love her, they are good for her. Maybe Sam is better becasue he can give her children. Each man is better for having known Sookie. Each man is kind, considerate and old-fashioned, in a good southern way.

Quinn is good, too.

Eric is only good when he doesn't know who he is. He's been powerful for far too long, he has no humanity left.

I really, really want to re- read the first Sookie book, but I have lots of books ahead of it in my TBR pile.

message 42: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) Julia, I totally disagree about Eric being kind when he can't remember. Even before that, he did nice things for her. After his memory got wacked out, he got even BETTER with the niceties. His first act of kindness was when he staked Long Shadow. True he did it because he betrayed him but he knew he'd have to deal with the Tribunal for his actions.

message 43: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) As much as I would like to see Sookie and Eric together (mainly because I enjoyed them when he forgot who he was), I don't think it is possible.

He is the Sheriff and whether he is with her or not, he has to act like one and be feared by everyone under him. Sookie wants him to be like he was when he didn't know who he was and had no responsibilities - that isn't who he is or can be while Sheriff.

If he stepped down from Sheriff, all those people he has wronged will consider him weak and go after him and everyone he cares about because his title will no longer protect him.

She really does need someone new that we don't know.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) I agree with Julia in that Sookie really needs to calm down and let people (not even just Bill) talk to her... She makes WAY too many snap judgements!

I disagree that Eric is only good when he doesn't know who he is. He has a history of doing spontaneously nice things for Sookie... But I still feel like he's doing them for a partially-selfish reason.

I don't agree that Sookie needs a brand-new man. She's so inexperienced in relationships that she doesn't know how to work through problems. She runs away at the slightest thing... I think she just needs her original man back. ;)

message 45: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) I just think Sookie needs someone new because all of her men have such issues! :) Of course, if Charlaine brought in a new character that was perfect for Sookie, that would be kind of boring. Happily ever after is great - especially for the series finale, but if it isn't the last installment of the book, it stunts future books and adventures with different men.

Sookie's *current* Men

Bill, well, he has lied and broken her trust. Can she forgive him completely and move on with their relationship?

Eric (see message 43).

Quinn, mommy issues.

Alcide, didn't he date a crazy chick or something like that? My memory is a little fuzzy on him. He will always put the pack before Sookie.

Sam, I don't think she really views him in that light. This may change, but he seems like more a friend than a possibility.

Am I missing any? :)

message 46: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) *****SPOILERS FOR SOME*****

What about Calvin Norris? I mean aside from being your own Grandpa, or whatever is going on in Hotshot, he seems to be the most stable and "normal" of all of Sookie's suitors.

Theresa, I'm curious to see about Quinn's "mommy issues." I just finished Book 7, so it may be a while before I dive into Book 8. I really hope that Quinn gets more fleshed out in the next book- especially after what he did for Sookie against Andre. Sookie's shifters just keep getting bigger and bigger. You start with Sam the Collie, work your way up to Alcide the Were, then Calvin the werepanther, now Quinn the weretiger. What's next? I want to see her date a were-elephant!

message 47: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Okay, definitely not Calvin. Yuck! He is so not right for Sookie. He's too old, too redneck and there is no passion there at all.

I think you underestimate Sookie if you think she would want Eric to give up being sheriff and be like he was when he lost his memory. She has matured quite a lot and I think she is much more excepting of vamp politics now. She liked his tenderness and his vulnerability when he was with her. That's all still there and if their relationship were to progress, that side of him would come out again when they are alone together. I think he showed more of that side to her in the last book.

***Spoiler***

Now that she knows she's got some fairy blood in her, I think she'll embrace that side of her even more. I think she could rule at Eric's side quite nicely and would enjoy doing it as long as she felt he was being as humane as is possible for a vamp. She will never have a "normal" life and at this point, I don't think she really wants one.

message 48: by Theresa (last edited Nov 11, 2008 11:58AM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) Logan, I forgot about Calvin. I have a soft spot for Calvin... I don't think Sookie would end up with him, but he is a great character and a (seemingly) great guy.

Quinn's "mommy issues" come to the forefront in the most recent book (book 8?).

A were-elephant! That would be awesome! Just stomp your enemies to death. :)

Lori, if you were Sookie, would you be able to accept being treated one way in private with your man (Eric, in this scenario) and totally different the rest of the time? Especially in front of other people? Back in my dating days, that was always a deal-breaker for me. If they were great in private, but an ass* to me (and/or to everyone around them) in public, no more dating them for me. Just because that is the way it is for me - which is why I think Eric and his current status would make it a no-go for the HEA unless something dramatic happened - doesn't mean that is the way Charlaine will write Sookie. I'm just looking at it from my perspective.

Edit to add: * - this isn't to say that Eric is necessarily an "ass" in public... Arrogant, sheriffy, whatever the word would be to describe him in public.

message 49: by Lori (last edited Nov 11, 2008 06:46PM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Theresa, I would be able to put up with that because it would be necessary. That happens all the time in relationships with high profile men (or women) and celebrities. You have to behave a certain way in public or you can't maintain the illusion of power or perfection. Now, if my boyfriend was an accountant and he expected me to behave a certain way around his friends or family that was contrary to my normal behavior? I'd kick his ass to the curb so quick his head would spin. I don't think Eric would be an ass to Sookie. I think in certain circumstances she would have to be more submissive then she normally is but that's all part of game and I think she would understand that. She wouldn't like it and would probably shoot her mouth off anyway but if lives were at stake, she could play the game.

message 50: by Theresa (last edited Nov 12, 2008 12:15PM) (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) That is a good point about the high profile people. I didn't think about that in that way.

However, I still don't think Sookie could be happy living that way.

« previous 1 3