Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > question #78: Technology rages on

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Okay, this question has been posed before, but technology marches forward and many options have changed, maybe so has your opinion - what's the best e-reader option? What if money was no object? What if, of course, money is totally an object?

message 2: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
.... sound of crickets...

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily I don't know necessarily what is the best. I think a lot of it depends on your tastes - whether you want a keyboard on your reader, if you want color, if you take a lot of notes when you read, etc. Personally, I have a NOOK from Barnes & Noble, and I love it. But I also only use it for reading, so I don't care that it doesn't really have internet. And I personally like the black and white over color readers, because I prefer e-ink over the computer-type screen of the color readers. But again, a lot of it is about personal preference.

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) I personally don't like e-readers. Beyond Google Reader and internet articles in general, I'd rather get my reading in paper, especially books. No PDF's for me!

message 5: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick | 351 comments My hubbie just got the new Sony E-reader and has been thoroughly enjoying his reader ever since they released it last month. Loves that he can put E-publish docs and audio books on his e-reader and not carry it all around, except in a small streamline package.

Kate has the correct points, as some e-readers are tablets where colour, format, etc are their options, others have E-ink technology for easier reading in sunlight (no glare) and less battery usage, etc. It all depends on who the reader is and what their needs are.

Though I do not use one yet as I prefer my tree-based books (yeah I know, but it can be made from recycled paper, etc) I just the love the feel and weight a book has in my hands while I read. Does this make me old school in reading?

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily VWrulesChick wrote: "Though I do not use one yet as I prefer my tree-based books (yeah I know, but it can be made from recycled paper, etc) I just the love the feel and weight a book has in my hands while I read. Does this make me old school in reading? "

It does make you old school, haha, but as far as books go, I think old school is okay. Even though I have an e-reader, I still read "dead tree books" on occasion. I think books are the one area where old school will probably stick around no matter what. :) And that's not a bad thing.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) | 203 comments Kate wrote: "VWrulesChick wrote: "Though I do not use one yet as I prefer my tree-based books (yeah I know, but it can be made from recycled paper, etc) I just the love the feel and weight a book has in my hand..."

I've been reading via Kindle for over 3 years now and have only good things to say about it...never tried another eReader, but never needed to. But I still read 'real' books for my book club and for books I want to pass on to friends. Hard to lend out a Kindle version.

message 8: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Susan makes a good point. Telling someone to download (& pay for it) just doesn't have the same feeling as handing someone a book. I'll be handing one off to my bff's daughter along with a box of kleenex this week end. I don't think I'd get the same laugh with an eReader. And my frugal self does not believe in spending that kind of money on a single use device. That being said, oh how my frivilous side craves an iPad....

message 9: by Tayla36 (new)

Tayla36 | 274 comments I honestly haven't checked out the e-readers because I'm afraid I will like them. And I have over 800 "dead tree books" sitting on my shelves waiting to be read.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) | 203 comments Donna wrote: "Susan makes a good point. Telling someone to download (& pay for it) just doesn't have the same feeling as handing someone a book. I'll be handing one off to my bff's daughter along with a box of k..."

iPads are multifunctional, and I enjoy accessing my Kindle reads on mine. But I received my iPad as a gift, and would probably have waited a long time before I purchased one on my own.

message 11: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Talk about "technology raging on" - Good reads changed how to start a new thread and I can't figure how to post this weeks question. phooey!

message 12: by Tiffany, Administrator (new)

Tiffany | 1786 comments Mod
Faye wrote: "Talk about "technology raging on" - Good reads changed how to start a new thread and I can't figure how to post this weeks question. phooey!"

Ewww... Did they get rid of the folders for when you start a new thread? Ick!

message 13: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Okay. It's funny the last question I posted was "Technology Rages On..." because I'm stumped.

It seems like when you post a new discussion thread, you must identify it as relating to certain a book. Lame.

I've been able to do that, but then the discussion thread seems to dissipate into the atmosphere, not show up in the general discussion folder.

Can anyone post a new discussion in the general discussions folder? It's gotta be just me, missing the big fat obvious solution, right...?

"Help" doesn't seem to have an immediate answer, either.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a NOOK and wouldn't trade it for anything. I wss never interested in gettting an ereader because I wanted " to hold the book and feel the real thing" but my fiance recently purchased it for me and I love it. It is easier to carry around than several novels at a time. It is also cheaper than purchasing all new books (especially being able to borrow books from Nook friends) and saves alot of space too.