The Sword and Laser discussion

Kindle Vs Kindle Touch

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments Page numbers are not available on all books from ebooks from amazon regardless of the device used. Some publishers format their books to include page numbers as well as the mandatory locations others do not.

Any current E-ink device is going to be slower than an Ipad or other LCD based display. E-ink has a much slower refresh rate and processor speed will not change that. You could always use the kindle app on your Ipad.

The benefit of E-ink is much better battery life very little screen glare and a much closer to true text appearance vs. traditional electronic displays.

message 2: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments Considering the majority of their books use location vs chapter or page number I don't see them changing the navigation in the direction you want.

Personally I rarely used their navigation since kindle remember my last location and synchs between devices.

message 3: by Devolark (new)

Devolark | 8 comments I have had a K2 for over a year. There is no problem getting to the next chapter. Try this trick. If you are on a chapter title page you should then be able to skip to the next chapter by pushing the mouse button to the right. Newspapers and blogs should work like this as well.

message 4: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments @Matt,
I agree on reference books or similar I prefer paper, highlights, notes in the margins etc... So much easier on paper.

@Devorlark,
Not every kindle book has chapters marked. I wish Amazon made it mandatory but it seems to be up to the publisher when they format the book.

message 5: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments The touch isn't out yet (my pre-ordered one arrives in just a couple more weeks!!) so we can only speculate.

Personally, I don't want page numbers. They're meaningless in a totally digital world.

Unless of course, you're doing citations for academic use, in which case, yeah, you kinda need that.

message 6: by Joe (new)

Joe (silverpineapple) | 5 comments I think you would have been better off with the Touch from an interface point of view. I played with the new Kindle a little and I like my 3rd gen Kindle much better because it is easier to navigate. I preordered the Touch, so I'll be able to compare that to what I have when it arrives.

message 7: by JRush (new)

JRush | 64 comments I have the Kindle 3 and I also use my Ipad, but one of my major issues with the Ipad is the smug marks my fingers leave when interacting with the kindle app. It is so distracting and it often blurs the words. I will want to know if this will be the same on the Touch before i upgrade from the Kindle 3. Other than that the size difference alone makes me want the Touch. I have yet to use the keyboard on the 3 and I have been reading with it for almost a year.

message 8: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments I do some reading on my phone and agree that the fingerprints are an issue but the thing really don't like is that there is only one Next Page "button" on the right of the screen. The regular Kindle has buttons on the left and right which is more convenient when holding with only the left hand. I'm sure the touch will have the same interface as the phone and/or Ipad.

message 9: by Jason (new)

Jason Bergman (loonyboi) | 166 comments Jonathan wrote: "I have the Kindle 3 and I also use my Ipad, but one of my major issues with the Ipad is the smug marks my fingers leave when interacting with the kindle app. It is so distracting and it often blurs..."

Tha shouldn't be an issue with the kindle, since it still uses e-ink and it's a resistive screen. Totally different from the smudge magnet that is the iPad. But until it arrives, I can't say for sure. I'm not worried about that.

message 10: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (adrew) | 426 comments Jason wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "I have the Kindle 3 and I also use my Ipad, but one of my major issues with the Ipad is the smug marks my fingers leave when interacting with the kindle app. It is so distracting a..."

Actually most of these eReaders have IR tech touch screens, not resistive, but you're right the matte surface doesn't leave finger prints - at least my Kobo Touch doesn't and I assume the Kindle Touch will be similar.

message 11: by Stephen (new)

Stephen (aaazealot) | 8 comments Brandon wrote: "@Matt,
I agree on reference books or similar I prefer paper, highlights, notes in the margins etc... So much easier on paper.

@Devorlark,
Not every kindle book has chapters marked. ..."
I also agree that the Kindle is not a good platform for reading tech manuals or other reference books. For that, you really need a hypertext version of the book, which suggests to me that laptops (or tablets for portability) still have superior value as reading devices, at least for some kinds of books.

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey I mostly read on my htc evo. I use both kindle and nook, however Overdrive is the crown jewel for me as the reader app is great and I get to check out free books from my library. Yay for cheapness!