Bacon Lovers discussion

Bacon Cooking Tricks

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) My special trick to a great turkey is to completely cover it in bacon while it cooks. Keeps it really moist and then the bacon is great to add to my sides! Does anyone else do that? What kind of cooking tricks do you do with bacon?

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelsessum) I cut raw bacon into small pieces, cook it in a pot, then when it is golden brown I add canned green beans (Don't drain the fat from the bacon!), bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for a couple of hours. About 20 minutes before serving, add a chopped tomato.

The general rule for this recipe is one strip of bacon and one small tomato (like a roma or plum tomato) per can of green beans. If you are using a few cans of beans, then one large tomato should suffice. But whatever you do, don't go light on bacon!

This is how my great-grandmother cooked them on holidays and it is a favorite of my family on Thanksgiving and Christmas. As far as we are concerned it is WAY better than the traditional green bean casserole.

Another one is cooking your Brussels Sprouts with bacon and apples. I think marthastewart.com has a recipe that is really good.