Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Do you remember MTV's glory days?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments I don't think I was born yet.

message 3: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I remember it. I was young, but around. I feel old.

message 4: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments No, not really. I remember the Carson Daly TRL days and Real World Hawaii, which pretty much announced the channel's spiral into irrelevancy and mind-numbing reality programming.

message 5: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments UK's MTV2 was pretty good for a while.

message 6: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Yay, I'm so glad I started this thread so I could feel 4,000 years old...

message 7: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments You're welcome. Always a pleasure. Happy to help.

message 8: by ~Geektastic~ (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments Myles wrote: "Nope, sorry. I remember the glory days of Daria and MTV2. And I totally watched TRL with Carson Daly, all those screaming kids made you forget that video clips averaged 30 seconds."

Oh yeah, Daria! That was one good thing that came out of MTV's switch over to shows rather than music videos. Love me some Daria.

message 9: by Dr. Detroit (last edited Nov 07, 2011 08:42AM) (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments I was 23 at the time. Beat that. I prefer to forget about it. They did for rock and roll what the full-length mirror did for Liberace.

message 10: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) I remember going to the bars and seeing MTV for the very first time. I remember all the original VJs.

Yes, I am old.

message 11: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I can recall the first Real World. I really liked it because it was so cutting edge and unique. It was not the scripted reality show that are congesting our airways now. I was too young to have seen the PBS documentary An American Family, so I don't think The Real World was recreating the wheel so much as they were giving a voice to a diverse group of 'Gen X-ers', which is/was my peer group.

I may be remembering this in a cloud of nostalgia, but I remember it to be a social experiment to see what really would happen if a diverse group of 20-something's lived together. It was lively, funny, crude and touching (I remember being shocked by the announcement of Pedro death from AIDS). Now, we have Snookie.

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24100 comments Mod
I'm trying to forget everything I ever saw on MTV. All 4 hours of it.

message 13: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments I can also recall Madonna rolling around a stage singing about being a virgin while wearing a wedding dress. I found it odd.

message 14: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I remember! I was born!

I loved Martha Quinn so much but I don't actually remember why.

message 15: by Jammies (new)

Jammies RandomAnthony wrote: "Yay, I'm so glad I started this thread so I could feel 4,000 years old..."

Yes, RA, thank you for starting this thread so I could feel 2,500 years old. *sob*

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments smetchie wrote: "I remember! I was born!

I loved Martha Quinn so much but I don't actually remember why."

I loved Martha Quinn too. And Adam Curry with his big feathery hair. I remember keeping a pen and paper by the TV so I could write down names of albums I wanted to buy. I did that with radio too, but MTV conveniently attributed every single song, so you didn't have to wait til the DJ break to know who you had heard.

message 17: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Remember when Martha Quinn hooked up with Stiv Bators? That was weird.

message 18: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 620 comments His videos were funny.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Dutch wrote: "Most of the DLR era videos for Van Halen were good. So were Cyndi Lauper's, Peter Gabriel's, Eurythmics, Madonna. I would wait for some of these videos to repeat (before we had a VCR). Otherwise..."

The funny thing is there are a few bands that I remember staying up to see the videos they wouldn't show during the day -120 minutes and headbanger's ball - and I felt like I was discovering these new secret bands...but in a lot of those cases, my dad already had the LPs. I discovered MTV and then I discovered my dad's record collection.
REM's reckoning? already in the house.
Talking Heads and Blondie and Dire Straits and the Eurythmics? Already in the house.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments We moved to Toronto right when MTV was transitioning away from videos - I do remember seeing the first season of the Real World. I didn't ever think much of MuchMusic.

message 21: by Dr. Detroit (new)

Dr. Detroit | 6019 comments Their apex was the David Johansen concert they broadcast live on New Year's Eve, 1981. Their nadir was everything else, in particular their caving in to pressure to air Michael Jackson videos. Or David Byrne in that ridiculous oversized suit. Or Cyndi Lauper ruining professional wrestling.

It matters not. They were done like dinner by then anyway.

And KD, they didn't ruin music in a lot of ways, they ruined it in EVERY way. May they swiftly die.

message 22: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1679 comments xkcd comic on the subject

http://xkcd.com/973/

message 23: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
My first MTV memory involves Prince in a bathtub and Tina Turner proclaiming "who needs a heart /when a heart can be broken" the summer I lived on Long Island.

message 24: by Misha (new)

Misha (ninthwanderer) I remember. If you're 4,000 years old, RA, I'm about 3,700. I was fascinated by 80s music videos and their strange, disjointed imagery that rarely had anything to do with the song. I remember when the Thriller video was an event. I vaguely recall we had a neighborhood party at our house to watch it. I would have been about 10 years old.

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments I am old too. I remember watching "Video Killed the Radio Star" video over and over and over as I waited for MTV to come on the air. *blushes*

The highlight for me was U2's concert at Red Rocks in CO. It was June and it was 100 outside in OK and in CO it was freaking SNOWING!!! And little did I know as I sat transfixed in front of the TV that I would move there a year later.

message 26: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Awww, kogi, that is so sweet. :)

message 27: by Heidi (last edited Nov 17, 2011 11:47AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I loved MTV when it started! Downtown Julie Brown (she came on a bit later), Adam Curry. Martha Quinn, JJ Jackson, and that guy with the fro who was cousins with Weird Al Yankovic... I forget his name, though. I liked 'em all, though. And I loved YO! MTV Raps w/ Ed Lover and Dr. Dre (they cracked me up - loved them more than the videos) and Alternative Nation late, late at night... and OF COURSE... Beavis and Butthead. I stopped watching MTV when they started showing reality tv shows.

MTV had a strong enough influence on my 4 year old sister at the time that she declared to all of us that she was going to marry Bo and Brett (boys from her class) and they were going to live in the house next door to Mom and me, the Hitts' old house. And Tina Turner's What's Love Got to Do with It and Scandal (w/ Patty Smyth)'s The Warrior would be the songs they would play at her wedding.

message 28: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think Lori used to work there. I'm not certain, though. Where the hell is Lori, anyway?

kogijiki (covered in mud) (kogijiki) | 235 comments Maybe she has gone back and is in one of their reality shows?

Thanks jammies. <3

message 30: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Lori!!

message 31: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11617 comments MTV had glory days? I never watched it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.