Book Geeks and Bookniks discussion

What We're Reading > 11/7 What we're reading this week....

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacey (new)

Stacey What's on your list this week?

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 95 comments I'm trying hard w Crossed, second in Matched series. We will see ... ;/

message 4: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Just finishing up The Marriage Plot, which I have really enjoyed. But I don't know what's next!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 55 comments Just started Never Knowing.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Totally stuck this week...I've just got too many to choose from (and I love it)

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) Have to choose a book for tonight's shift all being well I should get to read for a while any way.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Both are very good!

message 9: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Both are very good!"

Melissa, I've been re-reading GWTW, and every time I do, I stop when Scarlett and Rhett get married!

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Nov 08, 2011 01:35PM) (new)

Melissa (melissa419) | 123 comments Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Both are very good!"

Melissa, I've been re-readi..."

Wow! How many times have you read it? It's my first time reading it.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments I finished The Condition which was fantastic and started Lionheart which is great so far.

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Just finished The Promised World: A Novel which I really liked and 1/2 thru Breakfast with Buddha, an enjoyable read. I'm pleasantly surprised.

message 14: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 67 comments i am reading Matterhorn - a story about viet nam - and it is amazing.

message 15: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Melissa wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Both are very good!"

Melissa, I've..."

I wouldn't want to count! About once a year, I think.

message 16: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Both are very good!..."

That is fascinating Theresa, once a year....

message 17: by Caroline (last edited Nov 09, 2011 03:48PM) (new)

Caroline  (caro7) I'm toward the end of The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by true crime writer Ann Rule (who, amazingly enough, was actually Bundy's friend when they worked together at a Crisis Clinic and kept in touch with him throughout his years in jail). It's very disturbing, as is to be expected, and I really shouldn't read it at night, but it's not like there's a good time of day to read it. Up next most likely will be something much lighter or at the very least fiction rather than nonfiction, but I'm not sure what.

message 18: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 157 comments Finished Flu by Wayne Simmons last night and I've now made a start on If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi as I thought it would suit this weekend's Remembrance services.

message 19: by Theresa (new)

Theresa Gretchen wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost done with too. Bot..."

Fascinating is a polite word to refer to my obsession! I don't know what it is about that book.

message 20: by Heather (new)

Heather Doherty | 96 comments Theresa wrote: "Gretchen wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Theresa wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Trying to wrap up Gone With the Wind and snuck in Wishin' and Hopin' which I'm almost do..."

You are not alone in that obsession Theresa. The first time I read it I called in sick to work so I could stay home and finish it. I read it about every 2 years but only in summertime. That book still rocks!

message 21: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen (gkonkler5) Caroline wrote: "I'm toward the end of The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by true crime writer Ann Rule (who, amazingly enough, was actually Bundy's friend when they worked tog..."

I don't know much about Ann Rule but what are the odds she'd have that "close" of a connection to one of the biggest serial killers?

I'm have not read much in the ture crime genre. Columbine is about it. I have recently picked up The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town which is about a murder that happened in my area and have heard great things about it and not to mention know people who lived here during the time frame. Also, I have had In Cold Blood on my shelf forever. Anyway, I'm hoping that I've discovered a genre that I have previously avoided and will now embrace.

message 22: by Stacey (new)

Stacey Gretchen wrote: "Caroline wrote: "I'm toward the end of The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy The Shocking Inside Story by true crime writer Ann Rule (who, amazingly enough, was actually Bundy's friend whe..."

I think the whole Ted Bundy story is intersting. Ann Rule is certainly the one of the best authors of true crime. Gretchen, you need to get started on In Cold Blood.

message 23: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) Among other things (that appear to be endlessly ongoing) I'm reading The Secret in Their Eyes. So far it's interesting.

message 25: by Laurel (new)

Laurel (laureljean) I'll be interested in the Colbert book, Carol. I didn't know about it.

message 27: by Liz (new)

Liz Caroline - I read "The Stranger Beside Me..." a few years ago. Such a strange connection there. Don't know if you read the afterword where she wrote about a case from when he was in his teens - Ann Marie Burr. I lived in Tacoma & was about 10 when she disappeared around 1960. I was very small for my age & remeber I was walking home from our old neighborhood (about 6 blocks away from home)when a car stopped & asked me if I was the little girl everyone was looking for. That was probably the last time I was allowed to go that far from home on my own for several years. It was very sad. Her mother didn't give up hoping she would come home for many years if ever. They did finally have a memorial service for her I think sometime in the late 70's. It wasn't until years after she disappeared that I heard that Bundy had been questioned several times as he was their teenage paperboy. However, even after Bundy was convicted & executed, she still kept hoping because that was one case that he would never admit to right up to the end.I've wondered if maybe he didn't kill her, but was an observer or accomplice.

message 28: by Liz (new)

Liz I just finished reading Falling Together. I didn't love it like I did her first two, but I did like it.

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I am reading Knitting Under the Influence by Claire LaZebnik and listening to Horns by Joe Hill. Both I am enjoying. I am also reading An Occupation of Angels by Lavie Tidhar on my Kindle.

message 30: by Caroline (new)

Caroline  (caro7) Liz wrote: "Caroline - I read "The Stranger Beside Me..." a few years ago. Such a strange connection there. Don't know if you read the afterword where she wrote about a case from when he was in his teens - Ann..."

I have the 20th anniversary edition, so yes, I read about the Ann Marie Burr case. The connection to Bundy is compelling. Rule is convinced Bundy committed the crime (although I wonder why he didn't admit it since he admitted to so many others). How freaky that you were stopped, Liz! I had not heard about this case until this book, but you've known about it for a very long time!