The Smart Chicks Book Club discussion

NEW MEMBERS Start Here: Club Guide

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (last edited Jul 10, 2013 09:10AM) (new)

Tina Hook | 327 comments Mod
Things are pretty simple around here. There are three ways to participate.

1) Review our club bookshelf for book recommendations. Once you click on a book you will see a list of ratings showing what other member Smart Chicks thought of the same book. Mention your own favorites in our group discussions and I will add them to our bookshelf.

2) Join us on our monthly Group Reads and add your comments to the designated discussion board. See our "Group Reads" folder for more details. If we are in an open reading month, we are free to read and share any book we like--meaning any members can join in reading the same book and any member can lead a casual discussion on a reading using the "Open Reading" discussion board.

3) Add your comments to our general discussion board to chat about books.

message 2: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Barnes Priestley (traceybarnespriestley) | 1 comments I just discovered you this morning. What a treat - a place for smart women who love reading! I look forward to participating! And I love your gentle, and profound rule: "Be kind to one another." Thanks for having me!

message 3: by Tina (new)

Tracey wrote: "I just discovered you this morning. What a treat - a place for smart women who love reading! I look forward to participating! And I love your gentle, and profound rule: "Be kind to one another." Th..."

Welcome, Tracey! We are happy to have you.

message 4: by Judith (new)

Judith Marshall (womensfictionwriter) | 1 comments Hello all you smart chicks. Just found you this morning. I'd love you to consider my novel, "Husbands May Come and Go but Friends are Forever," as a group read. The book has been optioned for the big screen. So exciting!
Husbands May Come and Go But Friends Are Forever by Judith Marshall

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Thompson (tara_thompson) Happy holidays everyone!!! I'm so glad I found you- so sick completely brainless books when I have such limited time for reading. Really looking forward this group's recommendations. Judith, I just looked at your book- what fabulous reviews! Just added it to my must-read list. My recently released novel is set against the current economic crisis, but with a fun, juicy storyline.Meltdown

message 6: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (toshellwithit) Hi everyone and happy holidays! I'm excited to join a group of smart women who love books! Looking forward being a member. Thanks :)

message 7: by Barbara (new)

Barbara White (barbaraclaypolewhite) | 5 comments Shelly wrote: "Hi everyone and happy holidays! I'm excited to join a group of smart women who love books! Looking forward being a member. Thanks :)"

Hi, Shelly. I'm new, too. Well, more of a lurker who's trying to lurk less.

message 8: by Tara (new)

Tara Thompson (tara_thompson) Hi ladies!!! Any fun New Years plans??

message 9: by Shelly (new)

Shelly (toshellwithit) Tara wrote: "Hi ladies!!! Any fun New Years plans??"

Hello ladies! Happy New Year!

message 10: by Tina (new)

Judith wrote: "Hello all you smart chicks. Just found you this morning. I'd love you to consider my novel, "Husbands May Come and Go but Friends are Forever," as a group read. The book has been optioned for the ..."

Welcome, Judith. If you are interested in a feature on my blog, please visit...

http://girlwithanewlife2.com/your-new...

message 11: by Tina (new)

Barbara wrote: "Shelly wrote: "Hi everyone and happy holidays! I'm excited to join a group of smart women who love books! Looking forward being a member. Thanks :)"

Hi, Shelly. I'm new, too. Well, more of a lurke..."

Barbara wrote: "Shelly wrote: "Hi everyone and happy holidays! I'm excited to join a group of smart women who love books! Looking forward being a member. Thanks :)"

Hi, Shelly. I'm new, too. Well, more of a lurke..."

Hello Shelly and Barbara.

Do you have a favorite book that should we add to the group bookshelf?

Also, please join us for our group read discussions.

message 12: by Tina (new)

Tara wrote: "Happy holidays everyone!!! I'm so glad I found you- so sick completely brainless books when I have such limited time for reading. Really looking forward this group's recommendations. Judith, I jus..."

Hi Tara. If you are interested in a feature at my blog, please visit:

http://girlwithanewlife2.com/your-new...

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Thompson (tara_thompson) Tina wrote: "Tara wrote: "Happy holidays everyone!!! I'm so glad I found you- so sick completely brainless books when I have such limited time for reading. Really looking forward this group's recommendations. ..."

Hi Tina! Your blog is fabulous. I want to do your questions justice & really think about them overnight. I think I know what I want to say and I want to say it well- so I hope to think tonight & write tomorrow. Thx so much for the invite!!!

message 14: by Brittany B. (last edited Feb 19, 2013 02:15PM) (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 1 comments Hi Smart Chicks! :)

I'm new. This is a great idea for a group.

I am always looking for a great book. My favorite genre: Historical fiction and nonfiction.. My biggest guilty pleasure is my obsession with highlander romance novels.
I read just about every day, listening to many books in audio format, for time and convenience purposes. Books are my drug, and I'm a complete addict! :)
More than anything, I appreciate smart books with happy or inspiring endings.

I look forward to exploring the group and the group book shelves. ❤

message 15: by Tina (new)

Brittany B. wrote: "Hi Smart Chicks! :)

I'm new. This is a great idea for a group.

I am always looking for a great book. My favorite genre: Historical fiction and nonfiction.. My biggest guilty pleasure is my obse..."

Welcome Brittany. I would love to hear what you are reading now. Or your fav fiction of all time.

message 16: by Mikki (new)

Mikki (mikki_m) I wish I'd found this group sooner! :) I live for Smart Chick Lit as I'd prefer less "fluff" as they call it. I have been looking for good book recommendations, I'm positive I'll find it here.

I'm Stella and I work full time in the corporate world, I always read whenever I can - at least once a day before going to bed. On tough days, getting back to my reading keeps me motivated to get through the day! Haha!

Literary fiction, contemporary novels, fantasy and romance are my favorite genres. I consider "fluffy" chick lit my guilty pleasure.

message 17: by Tina (new)

Stella wrote: "I wish I'd found this group sooner! :) I live for Smart Chick Lit as I'd prefer less "fluff" as they call it. I have been looking for good book recommendations, I'm positive I'll find it here.

I'm..."

Welcome, Stella! I'm happy you found us. Please let us know when you uncover a great book and comment on our group reads if you've read them.

message 18: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Chaddick (nancy133) | 1 comments I am new to this group - just got "1,000 white women" from the library this morning. Looking forward to the discussion. I'm a 67 year old book-junkie who also hand quilts for the joy of it. Reading and quilting pretty much fill my life when I'm not enjoying our 4 granddaughters!

message 19: by Tina (new)

Nancy wrote: "I am new to this group - just got "1,000 white women" from the library this morning. Looking forward to the discussion. I'm a 67 year old book-junkie who also hand quilts for the joy of it. Reading..."

Welcome, Nancy. I'm excited to hear you are reading 1,000 White Women with us. It really is an interesting peak into American history. Let me know what you think.

message 20: by Mandi (new)

Mandi (mandi_smith) Hi all. My name is Mandi and I have just come across your group. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Please feel free to send me any recommendations for books as I don't think you can ever have enough on your to read list :) Also, feel free to add me as a friend.

message 21: by Tina (new)

Mandi wrote: "Hi all. My name is Mandi and I have just come across your group. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

Please feel free to send me any recommendations for books as I don't think you can..."

Welcome to the group, Mandi.

message 22: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Lawrence | 3 comments So glad to have found this group. I am so bored with most of what publishers push and what makes the bestseller list. I'm much more interested in finding the gems out there, books that make you think and that seem to tackle difficult truths. I like the list of past books you've read; looks encouraging. Love your one smart rule about kindness; we need more of it in the world.

message 23: by Tina (new)

Barbara wrote: "So glad to have found this group. I am so bored with most of what publishers push and what makes the bestseller list. I'm much more interested in finding the gems out there, books that make you thi..."

Barbara, I'm always searching for gems. I recommend The Lost Saints of Tennessee.

message 24: by Tina (new)

Barbara wrote: "So glad to have found this group. I am so bored with most of what publishers push and what makes the bestseller list. I'm much more interested in finding the gems out there, books that make you thi..."

Barbara, I'm always searching for gems. I recommend The Lost Saints of Tennessee.

message 25: by Josie (new)

Josie Grace | 1 comments Hi! I'm Josie Grace. I like silly chick lit, like Janet Evanovich and stuff like Twilight. I'm currently the Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare...so addicted to that series! I wrote a silly book, called Ashley's Man List. It's about a recently divorced new college professor who decides to online date. It's FREE on the 13th and 14th!
Happy Valentine's Day!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q1X5SNO