ROBUST discussion

Book Talk & Exchange of Views > Book Trailer? Got One?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) I've got a book trailer @: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu2O4S...

Post your links following mine & we'll comment or praise. Only constructive criticism folks and be ready for said constructive criticism, leave your ego at the door. Abandon all ego all ye who enter.

& yes that's my sexy, to some, weirdly accented to others voice.

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
As a reader, can I ask why the book trailer?? It seems so......weird? Or is this because of trying to establish an online presence for an author's work? Am I just that old fashioned?

message 3: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) That's a good trailer. Good atmosphere and pacing.

RE: Accent

Are you Quebecois?

That being said, I'll admit the BT concept has always puzzled me as well (I'm in my early thirties if that makes any market research difference).

I guess books and visual media are very separate things to me, so when you start talking pictures and music to set mood, even one reflective of the book, it just ends seeming so foreign to me.

James Patterson (and the Church of Scientology*) provide plenty of proof that they can form the basis of a solid marketing strategy.

*Or am I the only one that remembers all those Dynanetics commercials from the 80s? Well, at least all those commercials on US TV.

message 4: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
LOL! I bought one of those 80s Dianetics books.

message 5: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Guess it worked then!

message 6: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (mattposner) | 276 comments Athanasios -- The video is visually exciting, amazingly well-constructed. I think something about the actual plot and characters early on would help the narration.

Here is my most recent book trailer (visually minimalist):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULcg-B...

And here is a video of me reading from my book in a store in Brooklyn if anyone is curious about me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVTv3x...

Be gentle. Growing up magical is hard.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments I can see a future where many books will be available in audio/video, in the form of digital or live animation ~ or some other creative method, perhaps similar to the collagey trailers ~ so a BT makes sense to me.

Loved your vid on your book reading, Matt, that is a great idea!

I thought both your trailers were well done, seemingly appropriate for the books they represent.

message 8: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) JA I'm Quebecois only in that I was born in Quebec but am of Greek descent. Whatever accent you're hearing in the trailer is my growing up speaking French, Greek & English.

Claudine I made the trailer because it's a great way to present my book and because I do stuff like that at my day job so it was quick and easy for me to do.

Matt I saw your book trailer & I've got to say I've got Simon Magus, although he's fully grown in my stories. Also the angel statue you use in the trailer is on the new cover of Mad Gods! Wild!

If I may give some constructive criticism though, your text should be bigger and more easily read and your pics could be better erased from their original backgrounds as the white still shows through to your grey neutral background. Hope I don't offend with my points I'm just trying to make it better.

message 9: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Tom, that is wild!

You are soooo talented!!

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) I asked just because you sound like a couple of Quebecois guys I used to know. Maybe they were Greek too. :)

You know Tom, you might consider starting a sideline in making trailers. Even for people with graphic design background, that particular skill set is often lacking.

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Poor Tom will never be able to find time to write. First glorious covers, and now trailers...

message 12: by Kevis (last edited Nov 17, 2011 04:00PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) @ Athanasios,

Loved the documentary style presentation of your trailer. I think that was some of the best editing I've seen in a book trailer.

@Matt,

Didn't care very much for the book trailer. It was too minimilistic. But I loved your book reading. At first I didn't think I would want to watch a 6-minute video of an author narrarating his book. But I was hooked from the very beginning and didn't stop watching until it was over. Your interaction with the audience in the book store was excellent. Well done! I'm definitely going to check out your book series. It sounds absolutely intriguing.

Here are my book videos:

The Legend of Witch Bane:

http://www.goodreads.com/videos/show/...

Rogue Hunter: Quest of the Hunter:

message 13: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) Kevis nice stuff but too long and some of the text couldn't be read because it was against a like colored image or background. All in all though it got the point across. Ideally it shouldn't be more than 2 minutes or you lose your audience. That's for Witch Bane.

Your second was better. Now this isn't a knock just a direction of improvement if you're willing to listen. You should try and synch up some of your images with your music. The music fit your text content but I would use an easier to read text. Put a dark glow on the text before you use it against anything and it'll stand out.

message 14: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) @Athanasios, thanks for the feedback. As it goes, I've already updated these videos. I've been trotting them out recently to see what different people think of them. I totally agree with you on the length of my first book video. Personally, I don't believe a book video should surpass the one minute mark. Once it goes past a minute I tune out. So I imagine the same goes for readers.

This is the updated video for The Legend of Witch Bane. It's a good example of the direction I'm headed with my book videos.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Kevis, from a layperson's point of view, that trailer is fabulous.

Definitely gets me wanting to take a look at the book.

Best of luck...

message 16: by Athanasios (new)

Athanasios (athanos) It does the job

message 17: by Kevis (last edited Nov 18, 2011 02:03PM) (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) Thanks, Sharon and Athanasios! Had a lot of fun putting those vids together. :)