Lush Library discussion

Your 12+3 TBR 2012 Challenges > Kirsty's TBR challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty (last edited Jan 05, 2015 12:09PM) (new)

Kirsty (kirkel) | 1160 comments Mod
1984 by George Orwell 1984

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy Anna Karenina - I've read an esl version of this - time to read the whole thing

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson Snow Falling on Cedars - I've owned 2 copies of this

Pride and Prejudice  by Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice - the book I always forget to remember I haven't read

The Handmaid's Tale - Folio Society Edition by Margaret Atwood The Handmaid's Tale - I've just got the Folio Society print of this - quality

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd The Secret Life of Bees - I don't know why I had this on my "search for a copy" list for so long but I have a copy now and I'm going to see what my fascination is with it

Dubliners by James Joyce Dubliners - I've wanted to read Joyce for a long time (2/3)

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks Birdsong - this is on so many lists and there must be a reason (50p)

Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell Cloud Atlas - I've wanted to read this for a while and it catches my attention on my bookshelf every day (1/2) Really don't think I'll ever want to give this another try

Kundun A Biography of the Family of the Dalai Lama by Mary Craig Kundun - I watched the film years ago and have owned the book for years so it's about time that it was read

Possession - Folio Society Edition by A.S. Byatt Possession - another book from top book lists

Catch-22 (Catch-22, #1) by Joseph Heller Catch-22 - I've seen this mentioned time and again but I have never picked up a copy

The reserves

The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake The Gormenghast Trilogy -I have wanted to read this since the BBC series came out - I was pretty young at the time so if I read it then I get the bonus of watching the series too. At almost a thousand pages it will be a long awaited return to form.

Red Azalea by Anchee Min Red Azalea - maybe. I've read the Empress Orchid books and have been looking for more books by her for a while (1/2 but I won't be going back to it - so tedious)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See Snow Flower and the Secret Fan - I have wanted to read this since it came out

Sam (VanillaFountain) | 577 comments Mod
Is this for all of us or just for you Kirsty? I spy a few there I've always wanted to have a go at too.

message 3: by Kirsty (last edited Dec 02, 2011 10:33AM) (new)

*deleted post to update*

I'll make another challenge later for unfinished books. These will now go on there instead of on this one.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

One Hundred Years of Solitude  by Gabriel García Márquez

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder

Sophie's World A Novel about the History of Philosophy by Jostein Gaarder

One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka

We Were the Mulvaneys by Joyce Carol Oates I've started to read this twice but now I'm reading properly again I can enjoy it

The Little Friend by Donna Tartt I started this and really got into it then we were moving house and going up to Scotland in between. I even thought I'd left it on the plane or train and got another copy only to find the first again.

Diane Arbus A Biography by Patricia Bosworth I have to finish this one - it's so interesting

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly - I got this for holiday 2 years ago but I was pregnant and had a little one to entertain during a holiday where half the days were wet and couldn't dedicate the time to get into it.

The reserves
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George - if I've read her Cleopatra (in the first person!) then I really should read this. I've always been interested in Mary Queen of Scots.

Lee Miller On Both Sides of the Camera by Carolyn Burke

Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernières

message 4: by Kirsty (new)

I'll fix this list tonight. Any recommendations?

I got Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith for Christmas I haven't read it yet but could be worth a read after Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen that's what I'm planning to do hehe

message 6: by Kirsty (new)

I started reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd last night and I couldn't put it down. My concentration wasn't the best but I read almost half. I really just wanted to get started on this list so I didn't continue with The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall which has started to remind me of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Snap Amina I just thought the same thing, but I don't have time arrggghh! hehe

message 8: by Kirsty (new)

I planned to read a book a month from this list but I doubt I'll read another one by the end of the month. I'm going to see which 2 have the least pages and try to read those by the end of next month - or if anyone has any recommendations for any of them that they think are books which are engrossing?

message 9: by bookishbat (new)

bookishbat (morgaine_cat) | 90 comments I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Jane Austen generally. I have read all of her books, but I find I have to be in the right frame of mind for her writing, as none of her books are "quick reads", at least for me.
part of the fun I find is savouring the language and for that I have to take my time.
but I can really recommend it, it's a beautiful book, funny and sweet and full of well-drawn, interesting characters. I've been wanting to re-read it for a while.

message 10: by Kirsty (new)

morgaine_cat wrote: "I love Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and Jane Austen generally. I have read all of her books, but I find I have to be in the right frame of mind for her writing, as none of her books are "qu..."

I read the first page and realised I wanted to dedicate more time to it. It's one of those books that I can't believe I haven't read yet and Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights cannot/should be rushed so I figured that it would be the same for this one. I will leave it to a month when the group reads don't take up much time.

I really need to read all the Bronte novels too.

message 11: by Kirsty (new)

I've been so distracted by other books that I've fallen way behind. I am patiently waiting for Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks to arrive from the FS sale. Then I plan on reading 1984 by George Orwell and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller which I was hoping to find FS editions of but they've been too expensive. I have ordered The Gormenghast Trilogy by Mervyn Peake as my free set in the sale to qualify I ordered 3 books I wanted. I need one more book to make it to 6 but I'll see what grabs me at the time. I have the rest of the orange shortlist to read before the end of next month and the group reads (+ finish the bone people and life of pi) *panic*

message 12: by Kirsty (new)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See - why did I wait so long to read this book. So, so interesting and at the same time a story of human relationships and endurance that will stay with me for a very long time.

message 13: by Kirsty (last edited Jun 14, 2012 01:55AM) (new)

I started reading Red Azalea but it's so stilted that I was counting down the pages and it was really dragging so i started Dubliners. I was expecting interesting gritty portraits of Irish characters but I'm surprised that it's more like being witness to short periods in time in each characters life. I guess they are life changing occurances that are pivotal between childhood and adulthood. Something happens to the protagonist that brings about a realisation. Almost like they are the memories of boys who have been asked the moment that they gained an awareness that they didn't have during the innocence of childhood. One to dip in and out of. I've started 1984 and am only a few pages in but it seems to be promising. I've tried not to get my expectations up but I've never really read any negative review:D

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

Sat up to after 3 last night to finish Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice. I wonder if people then actually talked like that - so much dialogue and reading into every action and word of others.

message 15: by Kirsty (new)

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell and it's only just started to grip me.