What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. Prison Planet novel from 80's???

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments I have no clue about the author. I read this book in the 80's. The main character manages to get himself onto a prison planet to look for his father. It takes place in a city on the planet. I believe there are no guards and that the cons control the surface. One of the things covered in the book is his father when he was a boy got him an operation that was supposed to make him the greatest gunman ever but it never did anything for him. While on the planet he gets his hands on a Gun that connects to the cybernetic targeting system in his eye he never knew about, that puts a targeting pip showing where the gun would hit I think i ever remember the cover of the book. It had him running towards the reader down a city street with his gun drawn with an Energy dragon like creature in the background. Those creatures were some of the native creatures of that world. I've been thinking of this book off and on for years and its always bothered me I cant remember it. Cant even remember if he found his father.

message 2: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments The plot isn't like one of my favorite books, Infinity Hold, by Barry Longyear, but you might check out some of his books. I think there were sequels to Infinity Hold.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Meilinger | 475 comments If there's another character who is a human being in a cybernetic dog's body, it's Prison Planet by William C Dietz. There are monsters in that one, but it doesn't sound like the one you're referring to.

There's also The Omega Cage by Steve Perry, but I really doubt that's it. I'm only mentioning it on the off chance.

message 4: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments Nah, it wasn't Prison Planet by Dietz Or The Omega Cage. I actually have both of those. Great books, but not the one I'm looking for. Thanks though. Not Infinity Hold either but thanks for the rec, I'll look for a copy when i can get by the library.

Anyone else have any ideas?

message 5: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments bump

message 6: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments Bumped again

message 7: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments Bump the third

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments It's very clearly not some of the examples from the "Literature" section on this page, but maybe it is listed there?

message 9: by Erikb (new)

Erikb | 9 comments Sadly no, its not listed there. But you did give me a few other ideas to try. I had looked for books by prison planet but never thought to use penal colony.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments I hope you are able to find it!

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments Oh, and you might also try the Wretched Hive page.

message 12: by Nettle (new)

Nettle (nettle_soup) | 5 comments It wasn't Dungeon by Philip José Farmer?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
Erikb, are you still looking for this book?

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37538 comments Mod
No response, moving to Abandoned.