The Aussie Swap discussion

Random Conversations > Blog Advertising

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by hollyishere (last edited Nov 06, 2011 10:45PM) (new)

hollyishere | 166 comments Hey guys, I'm putting together a discussion post on blog advertising and just wanted to scout some opinions on the subject. Let me know what your thoughts are on the subject especially the following questions:

1. Would you ever consider having advertising on your blog? Why/Why Not?
2. Do you believe advertising leads to the loss of followers and a strong readership?
3. Do you find advertising a hindrance when visiting your favourite book blogs?

message 2: by Skye (new)

Skye (eykskye) | 88 comments I've been considering putting ads on my blog for a while now! People look down on people who use ads, but I really don't get it. Are there people who see a miniscule ad in a sidebar and unfollow? So many people are Book Depo affiliates, and that's an okay way to monetize, but ads aren't?
As long as they aren't making noise or covering things, it's harmless. No one's forcing you to click them.
I've started running giveaways every month, and a lot of others run them frequently too, and it'd be great to make money from the blog for the blog.

message 3: by Braiden (new)

Braiden | 333 comments If it’s to do with books and whatnot that’s okay. But when there’s other irrelevant stuff, it kind of takes away what the blog is all about.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

1. Would you ever consider having advertising on your blog? Why/Why Not?
I've been considering it for the last month or so, but I am thinking I perhaps should wait for the blog to be more popular first before I go ahead with it? I think for the amount of hours I put into the blog, plus the minimum $50 a month it costs for me to run (hosting + giveaways), getting some money back to subsidise these costs would be great.

Hesitant to do it at the minute in case I lose visitors over it though. They would have to be non obtrusive ads.

2. Do you believe advertising leads to the loss of followers and a strong readership?
I'm not sure... but I am worried enough about it to think twice at the minute. Depends on how many ads are running right?

3. Do you find advertising a hindrance when visiting your favourite book blogs?
Not if they are tucked away in the side columns which is where I'd put mine. I hate pop ups, and ads that interupt the blog itself.

message 5: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) I have to agree with Mel, I do consider it, especially because costs for my blog are up there you know, hosting and the giveaways are costly and I would LOVE to share more with my readers but it just costs a fair bit. But at the same time I don't like when I go to blogs that are just FLASHING ads everywhere and I think WHOA are you doing this for fun or for profit so i dunno

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I know.. haters will hate no mater what but I know I'd be doing it moreso to fundraise for the site itself (Plus I don't imagine making anywere near the amount I already spend each month). I figure the regulars would understand?? I hope!! lol

message 7: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (kylie1403) *n0ds* thats been the thing that has made me really consider.. I mean I do this for me right? so if i do have some advertising then I could maybe pay off a small bit of my hobby... i dunno

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  (lisao_0) 1) Nope, I wouldn't put advertising on my blog. Unless it's affilates with Book Shops.

2) Not particularly but I just think it looks messy to have 30% next meal blah blah on your sidebar and it just looks so unprofessional.

3) Depends. One or two is alright, anymore and it becomes annoying.

message 9: by Saskia (new)

Saskia (deckled_pages) | 310 comments Great idea for a post Holly!

Personally, if you want to have ads on your blog, then I don't take issue with it. People can do what they want with their blogs, it isn't up to their readers or anyone else.
I read blogs with ads on them all the time. If they obstruct information then obviously I'm not going to stick around, but most bloggers using adds are pretty savvy and they're advertising relevant things and their ads aren't in awkward places.
It really isn't reasonable for people to expect others to put hundreds of dollars into their blogs and not get anything back.

I would definitely consider ads, but it's really up to advertising agencies and companies to decide whether I'm worth their time or not. I would never approach them first.